Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old Fuel Line Lesson Learned
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Fuel Line Lesson Learned Reply with quote

mrmdls wrote:
I can't say that I've seen any engine fires caused by rubber fuel line rupture. However, there was an older forum post by a DougB who was concerned enough that he wrote to his senator.

I have seen fuel lines be wet on cars that have been sitting.

I was able to pull the lines off by hand with basically zero effort - the ends were complete cracked.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Old Fuel Line Lesson Learned Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I bought German braided 5 mm hose from Wolfgang International about two years ago, and it's still like new. And here in California we have had ethanol gas for a long. I suspect there is good braided out there--and bad.

Tim

It makes me wonder if the bad stuff is just old stock people are peddling to the unwary. It's hard to imagine anybody these days selling fuel hose that can't stand up to ethanol, in good conscience, or why if it was known it wouldn't, anybody would be foolish enough to buy it.
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Old Fuel Line Lesson Learned Reply with quote

Geeze I was cringeing over fire too!!!!!

I just replaced a length of leaky fuel line.. So suprised I didn't catch fire as it was right over the dist cap!
I smelled gas but always smell gas--it's an on going aggravation and always keep checking the lines beause of it. Despite this I've had both a fuel line nipple come out of the carb while on the road ( last year) AND a cracked fuel line when two days before it was all fine.
This was a two yr old fuel line. One end was split but not leaking the other looked brand new but there was a split in the line about 2mm long when I cut the line in half to check it.
I had one of those something isn'tright feelings, check the motor after moving my car up the driveway and the engine was wet with gas and starting to pool in the well under the pulley.
I read here once --someone mentionned that you should expect a smell of gas from a carburated car but please don't think it is usual--check your lines and fuel pump!

This is what I have on the car but have no confidence in it:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Old Fuel Line Lesson Learned Reply with quote

Line from tunnel to engine compartment should never get old if you keep your fuel filter there for 2 reasons.
1) you'll be checking the filter every so often for debris anyhow
2) esp. if using the cheap plastic filter- it'll never come off easy without cutting/removing the line, at least one part of it.
I have a pile of scrap fuel line from cutting the filter out and replacing with new. Now I just put the length of line together with the filter in place and pull the whole thing off at once to minimize gas spillage (pointing nose of the car downhill for this helps too). Then I cut the filter out and keep the old lines for the next time, new line gets into rotation as the old ones become to short or show signs of cracking/wear/age.
I feel ok with this as I replace the fuel filter about twice a year so I get a good look at the fuel line in that spot each time.
Now, the fuel line from the tank to the tunnel is a PITA job and I just replaced mine a few months ago after letting the old one go for YEARS. Like 6-7 years probably, and the line that came off was still good and not weeping. It was Continental line.

Ethanol resistant line in Metric sizes at www.belmetric.com

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Old Fuel Line Lesson Learned Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Line from tunnel to engine compartment should never get old if you keep your fuel filter there for 2 reasons.
1) you'll be checking the filter every so often for debris anyhow
2) esp. if using the cheap plastic filter- it'll never come off easy without cutting/removing the line, at least one part of it.
Now, the fuel line from the tank to the tunnel is a PITA job and I just replaced mine a few months ago after letting the old one go for YEARS....

I confess to neglecting #1- the filter was over a year old. The complete line was weepy as hell from the filter back to the tunnel. The filter was pretty dirty, probably w/crumbly rubber bits from the weepy section of the hose. At least the filter worked because I haven't had any issues w/the carb!

The line from the tank to the tunnel as at *least* 3.5 years old, which is how long I've owned the car. I bet it was older because I doubt the PO ever touched it.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Fuel Line Lesson Learned Reply with quote

Vamram, It'd be worth taking the top of your carb off and having a look anyways. I had an intermittent fuel delivery problem a while back. Swore it was the fuel pump and I changed THAT and some other stuff before figuring out there was a tiny piece of rubber from a fresh cut fuel line that worked its way to the float needle valve and would block it intermittently, causing problems. Would explain why you got fuel goin into the bottle when testing the pump but still had issues. Even if the line was weeping it should still have delivered fuel to the pump/carb, but if the line has been disintegrating for a while, especially AFTER the filter you could have some crud in the carb. Worth the ten or so minutes to take the top off, remove the float valve and blow everything out and re-install. AFTER replacing the line and filter of course.
Sucks to happen on show day, but glad the bug didn't burn down! We only learn from screwing up, or at least I do! Laughing

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Yehan73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Old Fuel Line Lesson Learned Reply with quote

Hi Guys, from my experience it's not the ethanol in the gas but the crappy quality of the braided gas lines vendors sell that's the cause. Even of the gas lines say GERMAN, it's poor quality. The way I know, is I buy good quality real German hose from my VW dealer for my Passat. These hoses have not failed in 12 years, still look new and no cracks. The stuff you get as the braided German hose, in less than two years fails.
as a habit now I either use VW dealer hose or the standard hose (fuel injected, non braided) if I really can't find the size.
Please stop buying the sub standard German braided and save your bug.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Old Fuel Line Lesson Learned Reply with quote

I just got mail from Amazon. They apparently know I own a beetle. One of the advertised items was Germal braided 5mm fuel hose, made by Continental and supplied by Pepco(?). It says it does well with "most" ethanol fuels.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Fuel Line Lesson Learned Reply with quote

When I bought my bug a couple years ago and filled the tank up for my first engine run, I got a stream of gas at the back of the car about thirty minutes after putting gas in the tank.

I finally found this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes lots of rat action in there - a PO had replaced the fuel line at some point, and they spent a good bit of money on rubber fuel hose, which the rats really enjoyed. I found at least five good chewed-through spots when I pulled that crumbly, janky fuel hose out!

I know that's not the fuel line you're specifically referring to, but your story reminded me of my fun day cleaning up gas!
Ironically, the 25' roll of coiled steel 1/4" tubing I used to fix this problem cost less than the rubber fuel hose would have.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: