Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New guy from Tucson
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Watto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm new to the sight. I've had a number of Volkswagens over the past 25 years. Right now I'm enjoying my '66 Beetle. It's close to where I want it to be, but still have things to do. It sports a '66 Georgia Plate on the front because that's where I'm from. I couldn't justify the cost of a roof rack, so I made my own.

Watto
Tucson, AZ
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

Congrats on a nice looking car. Love the rack you made , got a write up on that?
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

That is one sweet looking '66!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

Nice car even nicer roof rack. Say bring that car to the Jerome Jamboree this year.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

Nice. But after this weekend's temperatures, you'll go back to Georgia.

Even gt1953 in the AZ mountains should see over 100 °F.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

Nice car and great job on the rack .

Clear plastic tubing on the " feet " will keep from scratching the gutters and a longer piece under the clip will help hold it from slipping off
Cusser ; are there any laws in AZ about a second state plate on a car ?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Nice. But after this weekend's temperatures, you'll go back to Georgia.

Even gt1953 in the AZ mountains should see over 100 °F.

I dunno. Being in Georgia, it is really hot and humid. Early June and we are already hitting 97 degrees with 110 degree heat index and 100% humidity. Ugh!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

Yes it will be near the 100 degree mark this weekend out doors while at least 20 cooler indoors without A/C or evap cooling.[/img]

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
MattBon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Yes it will be near the 100 degree mark this weekend out doors while at least 20 cooler indoors without A/C or evap cooling.[/img]

Very Happy

Just flew into Charlotte, NC from Tucson. It was like walking into a sweaty armpit. Looking forward to being home again, Tucson rocks.

Watto: great looking 66. Where are you in Tucson ? Do you ever make it to Cars and Coffee at La Encantada ? (2nd Saturday of every month). Didn't see a single air cooled this past Saturday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Watto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
Congrats on a nice looking car. Love the rack you made , got a write up on that?

I've had a couple people out here ask me about the rack. I'm planning on making another one and video or at least photo the process this time.
The Watto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Nice car and great job on the rack .

Clear plastic tubing on the " feet " will keep from scratching the gutters and a longer piece under the clip will help hold it from slipping off

Haven't had any problems with the GA plate and I did use the tubing on the feet. Cheap paint insurance.
The Watto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

MattBon wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

Very Happy

Just flew into Charlotte, NC from Tucson. It was like walking into a sweaty armpit. Looking forward to being home again, Tucson rocks.

Watto: great looking 66. Where are you in Tucson ? Do you ever make it to Cars and Coffee at La Encantada ? (2nd Saturday of every month). Didn't see a single air cooled this past Saturday.

Yeah I'm headed back to Georgia, middle of July for a long weekend. Gonna be hot! As for Tucson, I'm on east side, Speedway/Kolb. Don't know about the La Encantada meet up.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

NICE RACK!!!!! good color car for Tucson too. my grandparents lived there, had a white 65 bug with dealer installed ac!

if your a gear head, check out the Pima airplane museum just outside of town. one of the bigbest collection of airplanes in a museum, really well done, plan for a full day there.

enjoy arizona. PS it is a lot cooler up on mt lemon.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:

Good question, Gramps. In AZ just the rear plate is required these days - used to be front also but that was eliminated years ago to cut costs (as it had been just one plate before that too). Vanity and dress-up plates are allowed in the front, but good question about a real-type plate that;s not valid.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

Georgia story. Was down in Atlanta about 10 years ago, during one of those high 90's with high humidity days. Guys at the meeting were commenting about the poor job the AC was doing in the hotel. I mentioned that back where I come from, we have AC and typically turn it on when the temp gets higher than 75F. Guys said: "75 !!! ...that is AC !!!
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Georgia story. Was down in Atlanta about 10 years ago, during one of those high 90's with high humidity days. Guys at the meeting were commenting about the poor job the AC was doing in the hotel. I mentioned that back where I come from, we have AC and typically turn it on when the temp gets higher than 75F. Guys said: "75 !!! ...that is AC !!!

My AC is set at 76. Lol.
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: New guy from Tucson Reply with quote

Very nice looking car and super job on the rack.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: