Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat - yes or no?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

So I am contemplating installing a thermostat and flaps in my 1971 bug. I have never run this bug before. I have a complete thermostat, flaps, linkage assembly I can use. For some reason, I feel kind of scared of it, kind of if it aint there, it cant break. Also, the thermostat came off a fuel injected bug, and its rated warmer than what would have come stock on a '71. I live in California, so I am not dealing with freezing temperatures. Whats the up and downside to using it? Is it reliable and trouble free? Any one ever have problems with it? What year were they added, or did bugs always have them?
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

When you install the thermostat make sure you test in tith a heat gun or hair dryer to make sure it's not binding. Then do a couple of a couple of short runs to make sure it's not binding once the engine is warmed up and expanded.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

yes run it!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

I believe the thermostats for fuel injected engines open at a much hotter temperature. So don't use the one you have.

I live in California where it gets really hot in the summer. But it also gets cool in winter. So in winter, especially, you will get your engine warmed up much faster in winter if you have a proper thermostat, if properly adjusted.

If you want to test a thermostat, be sure to keep it in its bracket while aiming a hair dryer at it. If you don't you can over expand it because it will just keep expanding. I've seen some that grew to six inches and were ruined.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I believe the thermostats for fuel injected engines open at a much hotter temperature. So don't use the one you have.
Tim

Regular thermostat is 65-70 degrees, FI thermostat is 80-85 degrees. Should be marked on the thermostat.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

Here's one you shouldn't use
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

Know plenty of people who dont...mainly those who lost engines due to them sticking
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

VW engineers had them installed at the factory. Do add them to the engine and make sure you have the correct temp. Test the system once it is installed. Imagine if your water cooled car did not have a thermostat.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
pistolpetecowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

Make sure your linkage doesn't bind and test with hair dryer/heat gun.
Also check that it has full range of travel and nobody has tweaked the crap out of the rods/other linkage trying to get the fan shrould off. ->
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...mp;start=0
Volkswagen put them in there for a reason, even expansion during warm up, cooler heads, etc.
If it makes you nervous get one of those dipstick temperature sensors or an oil temp gauge.
The original german thermostats fail open for safety and you can get them here:http://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.htm?pquery=thermostat

If you do decide against running a thermostat, I would suggest leaving the flaps in the shroud and just wiring them wide open.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Here's one you shouldn't use

That looks like one that was tested with a heat gun. I was being careful with a heat gun and made one look like that.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

You think that one's bad.... Laughing

link to thread

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

Thus, when testing do NOT heat up the thermostat unless it's in the confines of it's bracket. And only heat it until it reaches the top of the bracket. All you need is about a 5/8 inch expansion, anyway. That's all the movement you're going to get (or need) when the thermostat is installed.

Some people like to throw the thermostat in a pot of boiling water when testing. The previous pictures show the results. I simply use my wife's hair dryer. It doesn't take long for the test.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
VW engineers had them installed at the factory. Do add them to the engine and make sure you have the correct temp. Test the system once it is installed. Imagine if your water cooled car did not have a thermostat.

A thermostat in a water cooled engine has absolutely no relevance in this discussion,a water cooled thermostat can control and maintain temperatures to 5 degrees..an air cooled thermostat does not modulate any more than open at an indeterminate temperature and allow cooling air to flow over the heads.. VW engineers installed altitude compensators too, do you have that on your car?..
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

A thermostat in a water cooled engine has absolutely no relevance in this discussion,a water cooled thermostat can control and maintain temperatures to 5 degrees..an air cooled thermostat does not modulate any more than open at an indeterminate temperature and allow cooling air to flow over the heads.. VW engineers installed altitude compensators too, do you have that on your car?..

Why yes,.....yes I do, and I enjoy the way it improves the way my VW drives every day. Having taken the time to figure out what it does and how to adjust it I can't live without it now, those German engineers weren't just making shit up.

As for the thermostat it's not about maintaining a constant temperature while driving, but it does significantly improve the warm up time and prevent shock cooling coasting down hills. Consider the expansion rate of different metals in the engine, aluminum pistons expand much faster than steel barrels, if you like your pistons sloppy it's not an issue if they swell up before the cylinders do, but if they fit close and you want them to stay that way getting the barrels warm before the pistons is mighty handy. Same deal with barrel to head joints, every time one surface moves against the other it wears, sooner or later it's loose and leaking. And how warm the oil is in relation to pushrod expansion mostly plays on the sound they make, but if something's loose enough to clatter it's also beating itself to death slowly, the quicker everything gets warm together the better.
You may have had some bad thermostat experiences, no system is fool proof, but when set up properly they work very reliably and as mentioned fail open, install it carefully and keep your engine clean and it's a system you can almost forget about until the next time the shroud has to come off.

Some prefer Chocolate ice cream, others Vanilla, and some want both with sprinkles on top.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

Top post Busdaddy.

The thermostat and movable flaps have SEVERAL functions. When shut(cold) the flaps still allow about 25% airflow so the thermostat will see some air and work when it's supposed to. The engine warms much faster with the thermostat installed, and the cabin heater starts to work much sooner. The time for the thermostat to open the flaps approximates the time that the choke opens, so the engine works smoother both cold and hot.

When the thermostat opens, the outer movable flap touches the bottom of the heads, creating a separate air path inside the should for the heads and cylinders. Since the airflow from the fan flows outwards to the outer edges of the fan shroud, the result is a little more air to the hotter heads, and a little less to the less-hot cylinders.

No thermostat means slower engine warm-up, greater engine wear, less effective cabin heater.

No movable flaps means less effective cooling of heads and cylinders.

Very clever, those German engineers.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

incidentally, I was looking through the 1966 Without Guesswork and spotted this:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

I have had a beetle, two type 3, and a bus. None had thermostats except for the one type 3 on the island of Guam. It was stuck closed, so I wired it open.
The beetle spent probably a decade on the Mojave desert. I never thought that much about it. I just drove them.
Now, the derelict I bought off of ebay still had the thermostat in I, so I think I will keep it. Its a novelty.
Marion, Iowa
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

Joemama, Hi.
You are in a perfect position to answer many of your own questions. If I were in your position I would:
1- Verify and document the engine's condition/tune.
2- Buy the Berg/Save a Bug oil temp dipstick, which is locally avail for about $35.
3- Install the dipstick and cruise around the local area and verify the little metal rods position, if not overheating around town.
4- Run your car down the 2 freeway from La Cresenta to the end and verify the dipsticks position.
5- Now run your car back up the 2 freeway from the previous spot back up the hill and see if the dipstick shows any overheating, via a glowing oil lite.
6- Document your results.
7- R&R your engine and install the complete flaps assembly.
There are a few things to inspect/repair/install at this point, such as hoover bit, foam on cooler , debris on cylinders/heads, etc. But improvements here can influence readings.
8- Repeat your local driving and the 2 "freeway run".

Please recognize the thermostat/flap system serves two functions, at least. One, proper warm ups and two, proper deflection of air to the cyl heads and upper parts of the cyl's. If still online Gene Berg Ent had many writings about this subject. Mr Berg's info is 40 years old, and still valid! I guess I'm a hypocrite as my daily driver overheated (previous owner) has no flaps in the shroud now.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Let me know if you need any help with this as I'm using this method (the 2 freeway) as a test.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat - yes or no? Reply with quote

I just pulled mine. As is it was probably not doing much of anything anyway since I couldn't install it correctly (more on that below), but my bigger concern was that the pushrod on mine was not correctly oriented and might jam up inside the cylinder head fins, or cause the (too large) bolt/ nut on the flap arm securing my air cleaner cable to jam up against the fan shroud flap mounting screw. Until I pull the fan shroud and get all that fixed, it's better to run it without.

As long as you are sure that you can install it correctly and nothing is jamming it I have no problem with it.

Now, as mentioned earlier, here's some enjoyable reading for you:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=654264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: