Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor suggestions?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Distributor suggestions? Reply with quote

I have a stock 1600 w a 34 pic 3 carb and a 009 distributer. Everyone says get rid of the 009.
What distributer should I get for smooth running engine and reliability?
Please post links please:)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Distributer suggestions? Reply with quote

.009 gets a lot of flak with that setup...I have it in my bus and have managed to get the PICT 34 and the dizzy to play nice...
Why do you feel the need to change? is yours an OG german distributor or an aftermarket one?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Distributer suggestions? Reply with quote

First make sure your carb accelerator pump jet begins squirting gas AS SOON as the throttle arm is moved, if not adjust it (look down the carb with a flashlight to check). If that's ok then the only other thing I've found to work with that combo. is a hotter spark, that will cure any stumbling. I use a Jacobs Bug Pack, each plug gets 8 sparks every time it fires. Better mileage and plugs last a lot longer. Too bad they quit making them but you might find one on here or Ebay.
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributer suggestions? Reply with quote

I replaced my 009 with a Pertronix "Flame Thrower" SVDA, and never touched it for over 10k miles.

It got rid of the bog I had, and it's reliability and startup has been amazing.
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Distributer suggestions? Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
I replaced my 009 with a Pertronix "Flame Thrower" SVDA, and never touched it for over 10k miles.

Does anyone have some specific info about the Flame Thrower? How difficult is the install? How is the long(er) term reliability?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Distributer suggestions? Reply with quote

Zack1978 wrote:
bluedot wrote:

Does anyone have some specific info about the Flame Thrower? How difficult is the install? How is the long(er) term reliability?

No harder or easier than a stock.

Reliability.. hit and miss. i've head of a few that have vacuum canister failures. While it's sold by Pertronix, the distributor is made in China.

Since Bosch no longer makes them, you don't have much of a choice.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor suggestions? Reply with quote

Now you should meet Glenn here - he rebuilds the best distributors on the market I hear. The man to talk to if wanting a true Bosch, restored.

http://www.glenn-ring.com/bosch/

I was ecstatic the Pertonix SVDA got rid of my flat spot with the 34pct. It's been really reliable.

But - I just installed dual kadrons, and I learned a lot about my Pertronix. One - my advance has a total of 20deg - so if I set it at 34deg at full advance, I'm starting at 14 instead of 7.5. Also - be super careful of the rotor on these, I had a very reputable shop install mine - and they used a rotor that didn't fit into the distributor correctly, so it wiggled. Caused timing scatter. I sanded 1/4" off the bottom of the rotor (and eventually replaced it) with a good one.

The cap is wiggly when clipped - which feels kinda flakey. I am tempted to switch it out to a higher end ignition system in the coming months (sans vacuum) where I can tweak the curve with different springs.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributer suggestions? Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:

Not surpised on a decent quality brand NEW part but by now you need to do your routine distributor maintenance or spend another $150 plus on a replacement.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor suggestions? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
I have a stock 1600 w a 34 pic 3 carb and a 009 distributer. Everyone says get rid of the 009.
What distributer should I get for smooth running engine and reliability?
Please post links please:)

If you are happy with how it works then why change?

I have the same set up as Bluedot - Pertronix and SVDA. I replaced an 009 on a stock 1600 with 34 pict 3. Much better to drive and mileage improved a bit.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor suggestions? Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
I have the same set up as Bluedot - Pertronix and SVDA. I replaced an 009 on a stock 1600 with 34 pict 3. Much better to drive and mileage improved a bit.

Went to the Pertronix website and they offer the Flamethrower distributor for type 1 engines but you can apparently get it with any of their three Ignitor products (original, 2, or 3). So which one do you guys have? What's the diff and more to the point, does it matter?
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor suggestions? Reply with quote

The Ignitor III has overload protection if you leave your coil on and a rev limiter. I would do the new one, personally.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor suggestions? Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
NOVA Airhead wrote:

Went to the Pertronix website and they offer the Flamethrower distributor for type 1 engines but you can apparently get it with any of their three Ignitor products (original, 2, or 3). So which one do you guys have? What's the diff and more to the point, does it matter?

I think I used the original which seemed fine for my stock engine. You may want to look at this article and maybe talk to aircooled.net.

http://www.vw-resource.com/electronic.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: