Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to bugs, lots of questions
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: New to bugs, lots of questions Reply with quote

This is my second topic to start. The other one is my intro, this one will be for my questions. So here it goes...

Is there a fuse conversion panel to update from the glass or the other type to a modern blade style fuse?

The wheel choices have been updated but there are many others that would look just as good on a vw, so is there a hub conversion to use (just throwing these out here) corvette wheels or wrx or S10 xtreme or honda wheels? Ive seen some of those 'hella stanced' setups that arent my type but have some pretty nice deep dish wheels. I know theres a lot of detail on this subject but lets keep it simple for intro sake.

Has there ever been a FWD setup made with the engine staying in the back?

For the van AWD/4WDsetup, is that just a different end plate on the trans for the forward driveshaft? What needs to be done to the trans to make a standard trans AWD/4WD capable?

What LED conversions have been done? Ive seen some LED tail lights but they dont look too appealing to me and Ive seen the H4 LED bulb conversions. What about the gauges more specifically?

Something Ive been wondering but nothing I have an interest in doing for a really long time is as far as the turbo setups go, what is the average compression ratio? Piston casings used? Average boost? To me, I dont see much being made from something like this without a short life, but it seems to work for people.

Ive seen mentions of power steering... is that really necessary? More stuff to break and leak to me. Neat tho.

What custom camper builds have there been? I havent found much in my searches. Something like a fresh new layout and design with modern materials.

What safeguards and telltale ways are there to have a better status of your engine, i.e. engine temp.

Is there a thread stating exhaust types and their sounds?

How about a side draft carb? What about one for a turbo/supercharged setup?

What are they key areas to look for when getting a vanagon? I know the bugs are the pans but other than that Im not too sure about.

Can I make a WTT post for trading my AR, the ammo and some other related stuff for something relating to this good ol world of cars and engines?

What about sleeping in a bug? there are those times when it has to happen. Ive made myself comfortable in a Fiero at an abandoned gas station after TX2K one year. The Fiero didnt break, the LT4 C4 did!! Ha

Im sure I will think of more stuff as the brain juice brews some more.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to bugs, lots of questions Reply with quote

You've got 14 + topics here- so for answers you are counting on people to read all of them and see if they fit in or interested in the same. You need to search.

Often you will find the experts in a particular field are exhausted from posting in thread after thread of unsearched topics. It is better to 'relight' an old thread than lose out of advice from folks because of a failure to search.

Go to each forum heading and look for the topic. If it involves aluminum heads- go the performance forums- and search "aluminum heads." For your 4wd conversions- I'd check out "syncro" threads in the 'vanagons' forum. LED and fuse panel conversion threads are all over- every aircooled model forum has a few.

I still have TONS to learn here- and lurked for years. Good luck.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New to bugs, lots of questions Reply with quote

Guess I was looking for a shortcut without thinking I was. Thanks! Ill spend lots of time researching.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to bugs, lots of questions Reply with quote

Agreed - search is helpful - BUT since I am still winding down, will see how far I get.

This is my second topic to start. The other one is my intro, this one will be for my questions. So here it goes...

Is there a fuse conversion panel to update from the glass or the other type to a modern blade style fuse? aftermarket fuse boxes are available, but not aware of a retrofit.

The wheel choices have been updated but there are many others that would look just as good on a vw, so is there a hub conversion to use (just throwing these out here) corvette wheels or wrx or S10 xtreme or honda wheels? Ive seen some of those 'hella stanced' setups that arent my type but have some pretty nice deep dish wheels. I know theres a lot of detail on this subject but lets keep it simple for intro sake.
Look at CIP1 and other VW vendors, various option OR get blank drums and have them driller.

Has there ever been a FWD setup made with the engine staying in the back? Have no clue why you would want to do that - but you talking 4WD or front wheel drive?

For the van AWD/4WDsetup, is that just a different end plate on the trans for the forward driveshaft? What needs to be done to the trans to make a standard trans AWD/4WD capable? Dont know vans

What LED conversions have been done? Ive seen some LED tail lights but they dont look too appealing to me and Ive seen the H4 LED bulb conversions. What about the gauges more specifically? Pretty much anything you can imaging has been done - do a search

Something Ive been wondering but nothing I have an interest in doing for a really long time is as far as the turbo setups go, what is the average compression ratio? Piston casings used? Average boost? To me, I dont see much being made from something like this without a short life, but it seems to work for people. If you want serious power, consider something like a Suby conversion unless you have a ton of money to spend for marginal gains.

Ive seen mentions of power steering... is that really necessary? More stuff to break and leak to me. Neat tho. Power steering is for pussies

What custom camper builds have there been? I havent found much in my searches. Something like a fresh new layout and design with modern materials. Don't know

What safeguards and telltale ways are there to have a better status of your engine, i.e. engine temp. Oil temp, pressure, head temp and pretty standard....Me, I use the stock idiot lights after I have sorted a car out. Who looks at gauges anyway? Seriously. You look after something has screwed up.

Is there a thread stating exhaust types and their sounds? Lots of threads and youtubes on exhaust - unless you have side by side comparisons with he same conditions, they are worthless. Loud and harsh are different things to different people and absolute volume levels are never done.

How about a side draft carb? What about one for a turbo/supercharged setup? Starting to get tired

What are they key areas to look for when getting a vanagon? I know the bugs are the pans but other than that Im not too sure about.

Can I make a WTT post for trading my AR, the ammo and some other related stuff for something relating to this good ol world of cars and engines? Ask Everett

What about sleeping in a bug? there are those times when it has to happen. Ive made myself comfortable in a Fiero at an abandoned gas station after TX2K one year. The Fiero didnt break, the LT4 C4 did!! Ha Reclining seats help

Im sure I will think of more stuff as the brain juice brews some more.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to bugs, lots of questions Reply with quote

I usually Google what I'm looking for and half the time it sends me to thesamba.com anyways. Google is your friend.
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New to bugs, lots of questions Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
I usually Google what I'm looking for and half the time it sends me to thesamba.com anyways. Google is your friend.

google is the useful evil
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: