Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajajgna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

Contemplating getting this 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow. However, I only have these pictures to go by. I won't be able to physically look at it because of distance. My knowledge is somewhat limited anyway, but I thought I would post these pics to see what someone else thought of the engine at least. Reportedly "new 1700cc engine with less than 2,000 miles on it." Any conversation, opinions would be awesome. Mahalo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba!

Link

Links provided.
What Do YOU Look For When Buying A Bus?
Bay Window Bus Buyers / Spotters Guide
Search/Buying a Bus

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

Anything over $30,000 is a ripoff and anything under $100 is a deal. Other than that it's tough to buy a bus without getting a set of trained eyes to check it out in person. Consider hiring a samba member to inspect it for you. Otherwise I'd pass. My opinion.
'74 Westy (parts)
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

For starters, that center-mount single carb is a red flag for "PO doing shit wrong"
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

I hate that video.. I understand the underlying point to it but I still hate its circulated so fast. We all got into buses at one point, but anyone and everyone looking to get into the hobby we seem to discourage from doing so as a first impression. I don't visit the Beetle/Ghia forums but is there a similar kick in the nuts video for newbys over there too?

Anyways about the bus in question. I would ask for a lot more body, and undercarriage shots to make a better decision. Underside of the motor too. Specs and pics of the transmission, CV boots, master cylinder, and steering box too.

The motor may have been rebuild/swapped/refreshed recently, but there are plenty of red flag in those pictures. Not that it's a bad engine, but that whatever was done was done on the cheap and convenient budget. I see loose, but stock wires, no closed system on the fuel vapors, obviously the centermount carb is incorrect induction, but can be made to work adequately. The booster fan is not hooked up properly for airflow. I would ask questions of muffler age, heater box conditions, and what tin is missing, if any. Can you hear it run in a video or via FaceTime. The interior doesn't look to bad, but also ask for more pictures of those too as well as shots of the floors and metal.

If the price is good go for it, it's an old car there will be old car issues to sort out and being mechanically inclined is a must, but they are easy to learn on.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

Disagree. Kicking someone in the groin looking to buy a 42 year old vehicle that they can't inspect, who doesn't have 30,000 to spend, is bringing them back to reality.
ajajgna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

OK, I dig the video and appreciate the comments. Going to pay for an inspection before making the decision. Also going to get more educated on the matter. I had owned a 71 Bus a number of years ago and didnt have too many issues. Aloha for now
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

ajajgna wrote:
"new 1700cc engine..."

That claim right there is a red flag. There are no new engines for these vehicles, so I expect that what they should have said is "rebuilt". That raises the questions, "Rebuilt by whom?" and "Rebuilt with what parts and to what spec? Is there a build sheet of some sort?"

My first bus had had its engine rebuilt by the PO. I had to replace it within 6 months. Rolling Eyes [Lesson learned.]
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

Peabody wrote:
Anything over $30,000 is a ripoff and anything under $100 is a deal. Other than that it's tough to buy a bus without getting a set of trained eyes to check it out in person. Consider hiring a samba member to inspect it for you. Otherwise I'd pass. My opinion.

I know of one Westphalia that had a cash on the table offer of about $50,000 that the seller walked away from. If you haven't fully restored one lately you are in for a surprise of the cost to do it right. The seller walked away because the math said it would cost him $60K to replace it. Maybe a bondo queen with a progressive and lots of used parts from different years would be a rip off at $30K, but not one restored properly. In fact at $30K it would be a bargain.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
I hate that video..

I love that video. It is reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

If that bus is on the islands it looks good to me. Vws in Hawaii are very cool to have, I saw a show there once and it was awesome. You would have a fun surf bus there imo, just don't park it on the beach because it will get ripped. Wish I was cruising the North Shore right now.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Peabody wrote:

I know of one Westphalia that had a cash on the table offer of about $50,000 that the seller walked away from. If you haven't fully restored one lately you are in for a surprise of the cost to do it right. The seller walked away because the math said it would cost him $60K to replace it. Maybe a bondo queen with a progressive and lots of used parts from different years would be a rip off at $30K, but not one restored properly. In fact at $30K it would be a bargain.

I'm well aware you know your stuff SGKent. Not to split hairs here but I was commenting on the bus that the OP had posted pictures of.

You also have to admit that there is a serious lack of $30k baywindow buses sold on the market, much less $60k. A nice running, driving, stock, rust free westy would still have a hard time getting $20k.

My comment was to (sarcastically) bring awareness to the fact that it is very difficult to comment on a bus with a few pictures, no asking price, and a "what do you think of this bus?" question. I've asked the same thing myself here a few years ago and I got a lot of answers that were very far from hitting the mark.

Can't wait for my bay to be worth $30k and I look back on this post and say, those were the days.
'74 Westy (parts)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

Quote:
You also have to admit that there is a serious lack of $30k baywindow buses sold on the market, much less $60k. A nice running, driving, stock, rust free westy would still have a hard time getting $20k.

only because people around here have it drilled into their heads 1980 prices still exist. Looked up a NADA guide on a clean 1971 Westphalia lately? High retail on one is $39,900. Average retail is $18,400. We all know what average is - rusty windshield or bondo work around it, missing tin, bad steering box etc.
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:

only because people around here have it drilled into their heads 1980 prices still exist. Looked up a NADA guide on a clean 1971 Westphalia lately? High retail on one is $39,900. Average retail is $18,400. We all know what average is - rusty windshield or bondo work around it, missing tin, bad steering box etc.

If anyone is paying $18k for a bus with a rusty windshield, bondo, missing tin (big deal?), and bad steering box PLEASE send them my way.
'74 Westy (parts)
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

It's good you're admitting to not knowing much about the bus.

Find a reputable vintage VW guy to pre-purchase the bus. The money you spend may well save thousands.

Once you have a list, if you choose to continue you have a bargaining chip. Take what you think it will cost to get it where you want it, then double it.

Have fun.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

Quote:
"SGKentLooked up a NADA guide on a clean 1971 Westphalia lately? High retail on one is $39,900. Average retail is $18,400.
NADA guide is a fricken joke, the DMV here uses it to determine values and it makes every bus including a rusty pos sound like a Dino Farrari in value. By that guide a mint condition 54 deluxe is worth less than a clapped out mid 70's bay. Rolling Eyes And it's Westfalia dufuss
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Contemplating 1974 VW BUS - Type 2 Baywindow Reply with quote

Well, if craigslist is anything to go by, buses are getting pretty hard to find these days, at least in these parts. A couple of years ago, I could search on craigslist and get quite a few hits on buses for sale. Sure, almost every single one was a rust-heap, but hey, they were out there.

Now...not so much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: