Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1986 Vanagon Syncro value
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
l. Steven Lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

I have just inherited a 1986 Vanagon syncro. It has been sitting in a carport and not started for 6+ years. The van needs a serious detailing but I believe it will clean up well. The odo shows a little over 10,000 miles, yes that is correct. Am trying to find a local mechanic to clean the fuel tank put new fuel lines and clean the fuel infection system, before trying to start it. I need to come up with a value for this vehicle to settle the estate. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

3000-15000
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

Like anything else the condition dictates the value. Post up some pics and look in the classifieds here for comparable vehicles.
The uber low mileage is likely from a replacement speedometer as they are sometimes problematic.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

$2500. Sitting in a carport for years is not good for many of the parts. The cost to briing it back to reliable condition with correct german parts is staggering. The 10K is not actual miles, the odos always break on these. There are probably a hudred items that will need to be repaired to get it on the road. $2500 is parts value of an unknown drivestrain/donor van that needs to be towed away.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

I'd have to be asking, what was the reason it was parked for that 6 years?

What's broke?

Don't know?

$1500 to 2 grand not running, history unknown.
Parts vehicle with no history.
l. Steven Lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

It belonged to my parents. so I know its history. The 10,000 is correct. Going to get it cleaned up and will know more after closer inspection.
After rereading the replies thought I should edit my post. This van was in great running condition as would be expected from a vehicle with 10,000 miles. For the last several years of my fathers life it was hard for him to get in and out of this van. He would not hear of getting rid of it. He traveled in it a little but it was not his daily driver. When he passed 6 years ago I tried to get my mother to sale it or at least do something with the van, she would not hear of that. So it sat in the carport. She passed a couple of months ago and the van has came to me. Love all of the assumptions of changed odometers and etc. Laughing

Last edited by l. Steven Lewis on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

As stated, look at the Classifieds for some giude to the value, if it is a proven 10,000 mile Syncro, it has high value, but the sitting that long will cut that back.
Are you keeping it ?? Try & get some pics & more history.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

The gas tank is plastic so there won't be any rust issues with it but there is a submersible fuel line inside and the sender seals likely need to be changed. There are a lot of hoses and the fuel lines of course that will need to be dealt with.
Find a mechanic that is actually familiar with a vanagon.
If the mileage is verifiable then cleaning it up and putting it on ebay will likely get you the best sale amount.
l. Steven Lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

Don't know if I'll keep it or not. Would like to get it cleaned up and running and drive it some to see if I wish to keep it or not. My parents had an earlier camper model that they loved, and then bought this one thinking they would make some small trips etc. in it. There health didn't let that happen. I had driven the camper from time to time but never drove this one.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

These guys saying 1500-2000 are missing a zero if it is truly a 10k mile van.

Also, did you inbox just explode after you posted this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

l. Steven Lewis wrote:
It belonged to my parents. so I know its history. The 10,000 is correct. Going to get it cleaned up and will know more after closer inspection.
After rereading the replies thought I should edit my post. This van was in great running condition as would be expected from a vehicle with 10,000 miles. For the last several years of my fathers life it was hard for him to get in and out of this van. He would not hear of getting rid of it. He traveled in it a little but it was not his daily driver. When he passed 6 years ago I tried to get my mother to sale it or at least do something with the van, she would not hear of that. So it sat in the carport. She passed a couple of months ago and the van has came to me. Love all of the assumptions of changed odometers and etc. Laughing

OK that sounds better. But no one is messing with you. It is good that you know the history but anyone buying it is going to question the miles. 10K miles on a 30 year old vehicle to me is basically unbelievable. Without proof it is just like every other vanagon out there with a replaced speedometer. They are so easy to disconnect too, just click and the miles stop rolling up. But the condition inside with 10K would like absolutely new, so if so that is an usual vehicle. There is no way to gauge how much it might be worth without detailed photos. Also, knowing it was loved is different from having receipts and documentation. All the rubber stuff ages with time as well as miles, so those items may have been done, or neglected and it makes a big difference as to value. WHen they sit unable to be driven or run, everything starts to gum up or rust. The inside of an engine that sat for 6 years unattended is not going to be impressive.

So even if 10K miles, it probably still gets valued as parts, although a known original 10K drivetrain is pretty valuable.

An inspection at a well known and regarded VW shop, and cleaned up would help. If you want a better idea of value, post some close up pics and list out the documentation you have.
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

i'm sure you are getting PMs from people wanting to buy it for $2500. Hold out and clean it up. If you have documentation of the miles that van will be worth a lot if get cleaned up and it has no rust.
l. Steven Lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

And how do you document the millage on a vehicle?
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

l. Steven Lewis wrote:
And how do you document the millage on a vehicle?

Service Records or anything that has the mileage and date written on it. A carfax might also help.
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

l. Steven Lewis wrote:
I need to come up with a value for this vehicle to settle the estate.

I'm not sure what is involved with settling an estate but I think understanding that determines the type of appraisal you are looking for; high, low, or actual.
Or maybe this is just a marketing campaign. Wink

Last edited by SteveMc on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
These guys saying 1500-2000 are missing a zero if it is truly a 10k mile van.

Also, did you inbox just explode after you posted this?

Agreed, Non-running Syncro parts vans are routinely going between $3k to $5k+. A rebuildable locking Syncro transaxle is going to go for $2.5k on it's own, and quickly at that.
l. Steven Lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

The estate, Is actually a trust that my parents setup. And all properties are to be split between the three children. So I need a value to settle with the brother and sister who neither want the van. And I wish to be fair with them.
No I'm not running a marketing campaign.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

Quality pics of the exterior, interior, engine and under-chassis would be helpful for the group to provide you with a range of price potentials

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but I've got an opinion of course. From your description of how your dad, and then mom, cared about the vehicle I am guessing that means the van was well taken care of mechanically when it was used, and probably kept nice and clean too.

You'll be the best judge on price once it gets cleaned up and looked at. Lots of comps out there. People love their Vanagons.

The downside is that it sat and to get it in good safe running condition could be expensive.

My guess is $7,500 based on non running status. Can't wait to see pics!
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon Syncro value Reply with quote

l. Steven Lewis wrote:
The estate, Is actually a trust that my parents setup. And all properties are to be split between the three children. So I need a value to settle with the brother and sister who neither want the van. And I wish to be fair with them.
No I'm not running a marketing campaign.

You can also get an appraisal done from a professional. It won't tell you market value, but it's a good start and should be able to be used for legal purposes. In the end it's still a 30 year old van with a niche market. Prices have exploded in the last 4 years, you probably would have gotten a few hundred dollars for it (I kick myself for passing on two running syncros for $1500 about 5 years ago). Now people are crazy for them and prices have skyrocketed.

I say just drive it if you like it. It won't lose any value if you drive it. Take it camping and haul lumber in it. It's what it was designed to do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: