Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
I'm trying to reconcile copious amounts of oil in the engine bay coming from the tower/filler neck area. I've got a new tower seal and filler seal, but also got one of these "oil vapor baffle" things from Wolfsburg West. Is it only for restricting vapor or will it also limit oil blow-by as well?

If not I guess I'll be a guinea pig.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

It's designed to collect the oil vapour particles in the engines blow by and direct it back to the sump. If you're seeing that much oil at the top of the generator tower then it's worth doing a leak down test to see if your rings aren't worn out

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

It's a repro of an actual VW accessory to address mild blow by problems. It's not meant to compensate for massive blow by.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

I’ve installed few of these on preA two piece engines with good results. Required a bit of trimming and bending to fit correctly.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

There is a gasket under the generator. Cant remember if it is open into the case below.
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
It's designed to collect the oil vapour particles in the engines blow by and direct it back to the sump. If you're seeing that much oil at the top of the generator tower then it's worth doing a leak down test to see if your rings aren't worn out

Thanks, yes I'm already at low compression so I'm assuming some internal engine wear is part of it. I'm at the last stage before a total rebuild, so I'm trying to work out every little possible weak link and get as many miles as I can before then.

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
There is a gasket under the generator. Cant remember if it is open into the case below.

Yes it is and the gasket looked like a used coffee filter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the top of the gen stand, should it be filed/sanded flush? I cleaned it up a bit but its still pitted...

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

I have a sheet of cork gasket a couple of millimetres thick I use for this. I cut it to fit and coat the underside with aviation form-a-gasket. It is a good deal thicker than stock but the engines I build never leak from under the generator. Mostly they leak from the fuel pump and oil pump. Someday I hope to build an engine that doesn't leak.

Don
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

Thank you sealant or no sealant was gonna be another question...

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

72alpinewhitebus wrote:
jason wrote:

Yes it is and the gasket looked like a used coffee filter.

Here's the top of the gen stand, should it be filed/sanded flush? I cleaned it up a bit but its still pitted...

Leave it alone. The gasket will take care of it. As suggested use a little aviation sealant. If you file or sand that the chances are you will get filings and grit down in the engine and that is the last thing you need.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
It's a repro of an actual VW accessory to address mild blow by problems. It's not meant to compensate for massive blow by.

Nice to know it has a valid history, thanks

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

Seems to fit nicely. No instructions though so I'm just winging it.

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

When I bought mine from WW, it came with a template to bend it properly.

The exact shape isn’t critical. It should help, but a good gasket with aviation sealant will fix the leak. I use yellow 3M, but both will work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

If you have worked on this engine before (and stand a chance of not pulling a head stud) you should re-ring the pistons. Dirt cheap, will fix your excessive blow by problem, and will give you more ponies to play with. It is definitely a band aid until the next rebuild.
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

This is something I'm pondering, and a worthwhile recommendation I totally acknowledge. This all started with just replacing the muffler, so I'm still processing how far its gone. My compression is 95/90/105/95, so I know she's on her last days before a total rebuild. I may be naïve but she runs really well and I'm hoping to roll around for awhile as is. The evidence I've found is that all my oil leaks can be accounted for and reconciled without cracking the case or pulling the heads. If nothing else I'll by process of elimination have everything else done before going internal on the engine.

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

I used to re-ring engines...but I found that an older engine with a lot of miles on them, install new rings and increased compression took a quick toll on the main bearings and wiped them out pretty quick. Best to do it all at once in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

Agree with the above from both logic and experience. True even more so, with a 36 hp engine.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I used to re-ring engines...but I found that an older engine with a lot of miles on them, install new rings and increased compression took a quick toll on the main bearings and wiped them out pretty quick. Best to do it all at once in my opinion.

That's great advice.

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Oil Vapor Baffle - any thoughts? Reply with quote

I'm doing a refresh on a 36er right now. As prescribed, new mains and rod bearings and reground camshaft to go with new piston rings. Right now I'm wondering how to measure the valve guides to see if any need replacing. When I took it apart, it was quite a bit down in power and a mechanic friend suggested intake valve guides might be worn.

After taking a short course on the University of Youtube I now know what I will do.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: