Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine starting problems......
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/BkqwK7Hkwc0

1965 40hp air cooled 1200cc engine is having a problem running. I gave it a tune up, plugs, wires, distributor, adjusted valves, rebuilt carb. It was running great last summer. It cranks fine, just doesn't fire up and run. It was turning over for 5 seconds and then shutting off. I'm sure it's getting fuel
Any thoughts?

Video of me trying to start it is linked above
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

Go back over tune up.... Sounds like it is not getting enough fuel, maybe choke is inoperable and needs a tweak or two.... What happens if you try to give it gas...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Thu May 19, 2016 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

I removed the fuel filter. I also pulled the fuel hose to the inlet of the carb and cranked the car to ensure fuel was pumping. Plenty of fuel was being pumped to carb from what I could tell. I also tore apart/cleaned/rebuilt the carb twice. Even when using starting fluid or gas directly in the carb still has starting problems. Replaced auto choke as part of carb rebuild. I'll take a vid later today of fuel flow from hose post pump. I'm at a complete loss. Almost to the point of getting a new carb.

Where else would fuel starvation be checked?
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

Didn't mean that previous post to sound like attitude- just a bit frustrated. Been tackling this for 2 weeks now. I've been searching the forum and web and trying anything and everything I found searching before starting this post. I just want to have fun cruising lol.
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

FYI - I cross posted on the Engine performance section.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=655055&start=0
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

Can you keep it running by jabbing the throttle?

What carb?
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

Nope. If it does start- only runs for 10-30 seconds then dies. If I try to accelerate it feels like it bogs down and dies. It has a Solex Pict 28-1
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

What did you do to the distributor during your tune up? How are the points set? How is timing set?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

Quote:
What did you do to the distributor during your tune up?

Ah...good question. Is it off 180 degrees? Wires correct as well?

Also...if you partially cover the throat of the carb while its running can you get it to smooth out?
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

Dizzy was replaced with 009 mechanical advanced (carb vacuum port was plugged) and points set per the "How to keep your VW Alive" book. Timing was set also per the book using a test light. Unfortunately I have not been able to start the engine and put a timing light on it to fine tune. Timing was static set at 10degrees. When the engine did start For a bit covering the throat caused to to bog and eventually and die
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

prkid424 wrote:
...If it does start- only runs for 10-30 seconds then dies...

Could she be running out of gas, as in: Float bowl fills too low, and/or fuel inlet valve is jam'd shut? This can happen for awhile after having install'd a replacement needle inlet valve. Actually, the opposite happens more often - something about the contact between old worn spot on float arm against relatively ruff new rider, causing inlet valve to jam open, flooding the engine.

First test I'd do is to load up a hefty eye dropper with gas, and have an assistant crank up engine while you put the eye dropper's end over carb's inlet opening (with air filter off). When engine begins to die out, squirt some gas in, and see what happens.

If/when that fails, next step would be to check for flooding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

how does one check for flooding?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

Do you get a good healthy squirt of fuel down the carb after it dies?

And you are 1000% sure the dizzy is not out 180 degrees and ALL the wires are on correctly (double & triple checked)?

Have you tried playing with the timing a bit?
northernbody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

I think this engine sounds like it isn't timed right. I have had trouble with a very nice but misprinted aftermarket pulley. Did you use the stock pulley to do the timing?

Alain
1600buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

when it runs for even 10 seconds the pipes will begin to get hot. make sure it is firing on all four and check firing order. 1-4-3-2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Do you get a good healthy squirt of fuel down the carb after it dies?

And you are 1000% sure the dizzy is not out 180 degrees and ALL the wires are on correctly (double & triple checked)?

Have you tried playing with the timing a bit?

I do get what I believe to be a good squirt of gas after it dies. Im fairly confident that the dizzy is not out 180 - checked with the valve covers off looking at #1 and position of rotor.

Haven't tried playing with timing but will do that today.

northernbody wrote:
I think this engine sounds like it isn't timed right. I have had trouble with a very nice but misprinted aftermarket pulley. Did you use the stock pulley to do the timing?

Alain

It is an aftermarket pulley (only one I have) from Scat. With out looking at the pulley how else could I time the car?

1600buggy wrote:
when it runs for even 10 seconds the pipes will begin to get hot. make sure it is firing on all four and check firing order. 1-4-3-2

Yeah I pulled the lamp from the pipe...just an easy sport to hang it from. I am pretty sure i is firing on all fours and in the right order. I will triple check all the cables.

Today I am going to "re-do" the tune up and also do a compression test. I will look around for other ways to set static timing and play around with that.
Kiptere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

Put the original distributor back on it.
70 Bug Vert
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

Kiptere wrote:
Put the original distributor back on it.

funny...was thinking the same thing.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

prkid424 wrote:
Dizzy was replaced with 009 mechanical advanced (carb vacuum port was plugged) and points set per the "How to keep your VW Alive" book. Timing was set also per the book using a test light. Unfortunately I have not been able to start the engine and put a timing light on it to fine tune. Timing was static set at 10degrees. When the engine did start For a bit covering the throat caused to to bog and eventually and die

10 degrees before or after TDC? One way is a little off from where most good 009s usually end up, the other way is a lot off.

I would loosen the clamp nut just enough to be able to rotate the distributor. Then get a helper to crank the engine while you move the distributor a few degrees either way from where it is now.

BE VERY CAREFUL TO KEEP HANDS, SHIRT SLEEVES, HAIR ETC. CLEAR OF THE PULLEYS AND BELT!!

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting problems...... Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
prkid424 wrote:

10 degrees before or after TDC? One way is a little off from where most good 009s usually end up, the other way is a lot off.

I would loosen the clamp nut just enough to be able to rotate the distributor. Then get a helper to crank the engine while you move the distributor a few degrees either way from where it is now.

BE VERY CAREFUL TO KEEP HANDS, SHIRT SLEEVES, HAIR ETC. CLEAR OF THE PULLEYS AND BELT!!

BTDC....I set it referencing the Muir "Keep Alive" Manual and also referenced this video on you tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=787INwvir24
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: