Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch opinion?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shredder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Clutch opinion? Reply with quote

Need to replace Pressure Plate...
had a Sachs diaphram model, really don't care for the point where on releasing the clutch you get that "pop" instead of the smooth engagement. There for I would like to go back to what I pulled out which had like 3 forks and coiled springs that worked the plate. having a little trouble finding that configuration. The one I pulled off looks original and worn in a couple places around those forks. It is a 6-volt fly which I believe is the 180 (?). I really look for quality here so I don't have to pull motor again. It bolts up to a stock 40-horse in my 62 ragtop. driving is all pleasure. Wife also drives the town so looking for bullet-proof reliability.
Thoughts?
Ideas?
Thx!
...Jake
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch opinion? Reply with quote

I like the lever type pressure plates too, easier to control the slip.

None nave been made new for 20 years, but there are still some around, I collect them from the classifieds. Watch the classifieds for awhile and one will pop up for sale.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch opinion? Reply with quote

If you have a local truck clutch shop sometimes they can be rebuilt. Here in eastern Pa I have a guy that replaces the springs, refurbishes the pivots, and sets it all back to whatever spec you ask. Helps when working on an oddball car, or something made of inobtanium..
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch opinion? Reply with quote

Shredder wrote:
had like 3 forks and coiled springs that worked the plate.

I run that style from the 1980s with my 1835cc engine. Of course I bought that pressure plate new back in the 1980s. I just took off the center ring to run in my 1971 about 9 years ago.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: