Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Ok, found a longer spring and original looking plunger:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Man, this was a bitch to get installed. As I was screwing the temp sender in, I heard a click from inside the case. I'm assuming that was the plug seating all the way up. I'm thinking the other plug may not have even gone into its seat before?

Anyways, cranked for pressure, nothing. Thought to myself this is hopeless... decided to crank it anyways. After a few seconds... 20 PSI! Woohoo!

Link

TheSamba 1; Me as a builder 0

Will run the break in tomorrow morning for the cam.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Good stuff,
Glad you figured it out, Nice engine btw.

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Applause

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

the plug does not seat into any seat or clicker. and I would make sure you have the right spring too.I dont use the stiff spring in the cooler relief location.I do use the booster spring in the oil pressure location(neer the flywheel) i also always polish the pistons with 1000 wet (spun in a drill,lathe etc) to be sure there are no scratches or edges that can eat at the bore & cause sticken.
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

So, I spoke too soon.

Started up this AM to being break-in. Anything over idle speed and there is a high pitched whine noise. I disconnected the fan belt to see if it was coming from the alternator but no dice - it's coming from somewhere else (aka the engine).

I rolled it over by hand, no binding anywhere perceived. At least I'm catching this now before something seizes.

Looks like I will be tearing down after all. I guess this is a great way to learn the hard lessons on your first rebuild...

Last edited by AggieZig on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

I only skimmed through, so forgive me if I missed something. Before you tear your engine down, make sure your whine isn't coming from the crank pulley rubbing on the pulley tin. I have had this happen before. I missed it when I installed the pulley. It only whined when the engine was warm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I only skimmed through, so forgive me if I missed something. Before you tear your engine down, make sure your whine isn't coming from the crank pulley rubbing on the pulley tin. I have had this happen before. I missed it when I installed the pulley. It only whined when the engine was warm.

Good call and one of the first things I checked because I've had that same issue before.

I'll post a quick video tonight of what it sounds like...

Trying to think of other possibilities - rebuilt tranny internals? throw out bearing?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

You didn't use straight cut gears did you? That'll do it sometimes..
post a video, people here are very good a diagnostics.
SD
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Nope, just regular old helical gears.

Here are a couple clips of what it sounds like. No idea why it wasn't like this last night when I fired it up. One clip is with fan belt and one without. I'd let it run longer but I'm afraid of a grenade. It cranks over fine with no binding. (And yes, I forgot the coil wire and that's why I'm cranking for so long lol)

Link

Link

rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

so, out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I don't recall hearing that particular noise. I can see the oil lines sort of tense up with pressure when you light it off. How much pressure do you have? It looks like it spins over freely.

Can you grip the crank pulley and feel end play fore and aft? You can pull the engine off the trans and remove the pressure plate and disc off to take the trans out of the mix. look inside the bell housing for interference. A 12 volt flywheel will rub on a 6 volt case.

I never have had a engine lock up, but I would think it would just seize....no sound.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Unfortunately I am back in DFW for the week so I cannot head out to the garage and play.

Re: Endplay - I'll have to give it a tug but I know that I was fairly meticulous when setting this on the bench.

Re: Oil Pressure - I wasn't watching as I was taken aback by the noise. On the previous start attempt it was around 20-25 PSI or so.

I may consider pulling the clutch / PP and reinstalling to eliminate any tranny issues. I suppose I could double check end play while I had it up on the bench.

Man, this sucks.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Sounds like maybe the fan inside the shroud. If that was the flywheel and bell housing getting ground down there would be mag particles falling out of the air hole on the bottom of the bell housing. Check there before removing the engine.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
Sounds like maybe the fan inside the shroud. If that was the flywheel and bell housing getting ground down there would be mag particles falling out of the air hole on the bottom of the bell housing. Check there before removing the engine.

I thought the same so that is why in the second video I pulled the fan belt to confirm the noise was not coming from there.

I'll have to check for mag shavings but I don't recall any clearance issues with the flywheel
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

you wouldn't happen to be using a super-sweet aftermarket magnetic drain plug, would you?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

What is on the flywheel end? Is it an old tranny or bell housing and if so maybe the flywheel is rubbing on that.
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
you wouldn't happen to be using a super-sweet aftermarket magnetic drain plug, would you?

Yes... I'm afraid to ask why?

74 Thing wrote:
What is on the flywheel end? Is it an old tranny or bell housing and if so maybe the flywheel is rubbing on that.

Freshly rebuilt tranny on the other end - don't think it's rubbing but I will certainly check.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

AggieZig wrote:
borninabus wrote:

Yes... I'm afraid to ask why?

Sometimes they can be long enough to push the bottom of the screen assembly up against the bottom of the pickup tube and obstruct the oil intake. Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Only cheap way out I can imiagie is the after market front pully is rubbing or the slinger is in wrong Embarassed

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Only cheap way out I can imiagie is the after market front pully is rubbing or the slinger is in wrong Embarassed

cheaper than a drain plug?
it's actually a combination of the super sweet aftermarket strainers and the super sweet aftermarket magnetic drain plugs that can cause blockage of the pick-up tube.
ask me how i know Laughing

if the pulley is rubbing and/or the slinger is wrong you can tell by checking endplay.
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
williamM wrote:

cheaper than a drain plug?
it's actually a combination of the super sweet aftermarket strainers and the super sweet aftermarket magnetic drain plugs that can cause blockage of the pick-up tube.
ask me how i know Laughing

if the pulley is rubbing and/or the slinger is wrong you can tell by checking endplay.

Well, I know that I was getting oil pressure so I'm not thinking there is a blockage on the suction side.

The pulley / slinger could be another story. How would I be able to tell via endplay if there is a rub?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: