Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2276 beetle engine oil cooling
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: 2276 beetle engine oil cooling Reply with quote

Hi all can anyone tell me at what point or engine size the stock beetle oil cooler can no long cope and an external cool is needed. Cheers
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 beetle engine oil cooling Reply with quote

engine size has nothing to do with it....

friction / CR / sufficient fins on heads / cyls / proper air flow and volume....all factors creating and releasing heat

the stock oil cooler will do the job as long as all the rest is in check
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 beetle engine oil cooling Reply with quote

Smile
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 beetle engine oil cooling Reply with quote

advinnie wrote:
Hi all can anyone tell me at what point or engine size the stock beetle oil cooler can no long cope and an external cool is needed. Cheers

need details of engine, ambient temp, compression, oil type/viscosity...

stock oil coolers work just fine on big engines if everything is set up right, maintained properly, and your oil isn't thick as mud.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276 beetle engine oil cooling Reply with quote

I run only the stock doghouse oil cooler on my Ghia with a 2276. It can be driven on the street and runs 13.50's at the track. All the sheet metal and details must be addressed to provide cooling. An important item is running the heat shield tubing on your oil lines that pass thru the exhaust. This lowered my oil temps 15 degrees.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276 beetle engine oil cooling Reply with quote

most VW guys add an external cooler before they even need it. They are often so concerned with "running cool" they go full retard on the oil cooler, without even taking care of the basics like oil pump sizing, oil viscosity, and optimizing the stock system.

Most street engines will work fine with the stock doghouse system. When full flowed you have to use your head, like not running lines next to exhaust pipes, etc. Each mistake will cost you 15-20F easy.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276 beetle engine oil cooling Reply with quote

The oil gets too hot, when.............the oil gets too hot.

If the oil is too hot, then you need a cooler.
What point is that? depends on app and opinion. 200, 220, or possibly 240 degrees F

I have one that runs 220-240 on the highway and I just go ahead and let that happen, it has a as21 case, single carb, nothing fragile about it, and I'm not worried in the least.

Many types of oil can handle the heat but the block can't, so, we are dealing with case temperature really, and internal and piston temp. The heat generated from X HP produced is not linear at all. Build it and see. Some combos run cooler than others, and it's not possible to predict.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: