Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

basket case
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: basket case Reply with quote

I bought a basket like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like it except it doesn't actually grip in place. My theory is it is loose on the tunnel because there is no carpeting in a Thing. I suppose I could take my X-Acto knife (yes, I do have one) to Lowe's and slice off a square of carpet when no one is looking and use it between basket and tunnel. I was wondering if anyone had a more clever idea ...
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: basket case Reply with quote

The old plug and chug is an all time favorite. (from the gallery)

ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: basket case Reply with quote

I use a West German canteen cup, it was the cup holder in most of the Bug's that I have owned . . .

bald_dude43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: basket case Reply with quote

Go to your favorite hardware store, find some rubber tubing that fits over the lower wires. Slit the side with a sharp knife and slip it over the wires. The friction from the rubber should be enough to hold it in place. Or buy two wire clamps and attach them over the bottom loops an to the tunnel.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: basket case Reply with quote

I like the rubber tubing idea. Thanks! I'll give it a try.

I had a plug-n-chug in my Super. I didn't go for it with Thing because I took the stereo from the PO out and was trying to figure out what I was going to put under the dash in its place. That project came to a standstill when I got my hip replaced, but not before I removed the ashtray. I still have it but I was considering the radio would be more centered. The ash tray would go right if it goes anywhere, but then it wouldn't be convenient for drinks, cell phone, whatever. It is an option I can always come back to -- especially if I abandon the whole radio idea. I have the basket already, so I will tinker with that for now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: