Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

drag racing a bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Yea,Boost that thing Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

not alot of room for things in a bus, but its comming along. had to relocate the wastegate and add and extension raising the turbo. header is a hide away from cb for a bug. ill have to trim the rear apron a little...
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

low water crossing at the frio river... had me a little nervous hahaha

i ran 18s all night, with the roadtrip setup, 009 and blue coil. i dont run the msd ignition for trips because its better to run same thing as everybody else, if you need to swap anything out on side of the road. still waiting on my intakes for the turbo motor from RLR. the track was super sticky for the big boys running, kept bogging at the line,so i took it real easy... no hard launches!!! i have been crazy busy at the shop and it was a last minute decision to get out for few hours and have some fun at the track
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

finally got my manifolds!!! rlr has been super cool to deal with. just need to get the short pipe fitted and blow off vavle attached and few little things buttoned up and the real head aches will begin...
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Just stumbled into this thread. It's teh coolness! Knock yourself out! Cool
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

test fit motor last night, and got it bolted in this morning. i had to trim the apron a little bit for turbo. not sure if i want to punch a hole in decklid for the exhaust or run it without the decklid, and possibly put my center mount shroud set up on it ( i could shorten the pipe to carb by running the center mount style)
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

64 ragtop volks wrote:
... not sure if i want to punch a hole in decklid for the exhaust or run it without the decklid, ...

I know there's plenty of folks running without it, but my concern has always been the chance of the perennial floating paper bag/newspaper getting sucked in by the cooling fan. Instant over heat problem! Eh?

If I had an absolute "need" to run it like that, I'd definitely have some sort of screen/grille instead of just plain open. Safe than sorry. Think
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

with the carb so close to opening, and decklid is kinda beat up, i just decided to punch hole in it...better safe then sorry is right.... made some good progress this weekend
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Looks good! You might want to add a turbo blanket to keep the temps down!
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

i have a sunggie for the turbo, will be putting it on it after breaking in motor . hopefully get this turd fired up by end of the week
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

I'd move the MSD box,away from the heat Wink Laughing I think u will need to loose the "Langsames" magnet in the near future Laughing Laughing Cool Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

finally got this turd running...2110 (76x94) cb O44 mini wedgeports, tcs 30 cam, t3/t4 turbo, 650 dual feed holley carb. i dont think you need to be on the gram to view this quick vid after the break in....
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMU2UhZBNGT/
still need a few things like more 3/8 fuel line, but so far so good. now to route the throttle cable and tidy up a few things in the engine bay. what a pain in the ass its been. on a bug you just pop off decklid and you have all the room in the world. its a tight squeeze but im happy so far
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

64 RagtopVolks.....great job! Take your time it's coming together! Needs more cowbell LOL That cracked me up when O saw that on your rear bumper...I'm a drummer and I like cow bells...
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3YOPyJOMXtA
made some progress on the bus, i got tach and shift light installed, i set shift light at 5k to see if its lighting up at right rpm (i bumped it up to 6k since it seems to be matching the tach). i am not real happy with the crazy bends in throttle cable going over the altenator. i got some 3" tubing with a 45 deg bend to angle the carb so i can get 1 smooth bend for the throttle cable hopefully...probably going to go back to the center mount fan shroud to be able to shorten the pipe from carb to turbo.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

That thing sounds sick. It revs so quick with no hesitation that I could detect.
Great job.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

I picked up a Morse style cable for my turbobug,, works like butter check with Appletree. Madmike
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

took bus out few weeks back and took it real easy and after getting into 3rd it went GRRRRR, i push in clutch and killed it, motor was locked up, so i thought...

i used a 1 3/4" gland nut and had it torqued to 300. so i put the old 2176 back in, drove around block then ripped off turbo setup from blown motor and put it on the n/a motor.should be interesting to see differnce in the 2110 with the tcs30 cam with 1.25 rockers, to the 2176 with the fk87 cam woth 1.4s. seems to be running a little fat but hoping the rain quits so i cam make a few test runs down the street.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSwvxkrhSdS/
i dont think you need to be on the gram to view the vid of new set up running. after i pull 2110 apart i will be going to try a flanged set up for flywheel
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

So is the motor locked up? If not you should be able to drill and pull those pins out install same size or oversize.are you sure that gland nut wasn't bottoming out or pins to long? I had one do the same thing.......
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

after i got motor pulled it spins over ok, but i think ill go on safe side and get new crank. i like the center mount set up. gives a little more room for things anyways.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: