Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aug 50 split
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

Agree. If you want a Full resto?? Find a better car.

However if you want to have fun with a vintage vw?? Go for it. I'd love to have another split to do my way,,,,,,
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

I agree as well. Assuming that the top part of the car is solid, get it back together using whatever donor and replacement parts you need to get a solid shell and build a car you can have fun with.

To bring that car back to original you almost need an entire split worth of parts.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

If interested in selling any parts off of it PM me.
Other wise build it, its an amazing feeling bringing something so far gone back to life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

After taking inventory of whats available to me, here's how it's likely to go. I will stash the pan somewhere till it's needed. There is a 56 with the roof cut off that will donate the pan, and rear luggage area, and rear quarters. The front a pillars will come from another car. Klassic fab floors and heater channels. Pre bullet oval fenders, Oval "W" lid modified for a correct popes nose. All of this stuff is here and available to me. But there are a few unknowns.. What is the correct hood? A 4 tab? Has anyone used an oval ribbed door, and mounted the split glass and regulators?
SD
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

the doors will fit. Any '67 or earlier hood will fit but early '63 or earlier hood will be flat under the VW emblem and will be setup for the hood crest.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

esde wrote:
After taking inventory of whats available to me, here's how it's likely to go. I will stash the pan somewhere till it's needed. There is a 56 with the roof cut off that will donate the pan, and rear luggage area, and rear quarters. The front a pillars will come from another car. Klassic fab floors and heater channels. Pre bullet oval fenders, Oval "W" lid modified for a correct popes nose. All of this stuff is here and available to me. But there are a few unknowns.. What is the correct hood? A 4 tab? Has anyone used an oval ribbed door, and mounted the split glass and regulators?
SD

I'm glad to hear you are going to take the challenge and save yet another early VW, even though I believe sometimes some cars serve a better purpose of saving better candidates, in this case a split is a split and I agree totally with your approach.

Just some advice on your ideas to get started. First off the W decklid, you should just go with a KSR reproduction some places still sell them and they offer a popes nose style both in convertible and hardtop version. This will save you some time trying to make it work for your application, also don't forget about the big spring mount.

Second to answer your question about the oval ribbed doors on a split here you go: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1902847. Just remember the glass is different on splits, no vent windows.

Lastly on your plans with the '56 luggage area, I've read but I'm not a hundred percent sure, maybe someone else on here can shed some more light on this, from '54 and earlier is said to be larger than the '55 and later cars, might be an issue not sure. Also on the later pan you might come across a lever shock mounting problem but there is somewhere on here where they sell an adapter to fix the problem.

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to bring these notes to your attention. Good luck on the journey and I'll be following along in this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

I can confirm the luggage area is different. The body was changed considerably in July 1955. Gone were the ribbed doors and the corresponding B-pillars. The rear seat was pushed backwards slightly to give more legroom. This meant the whole seat back and how it is fitted to the body had to be re-designed. Because of the new back seat position the luggage area was shortened and the area between the luggage floor and the rear body fixing bolts now slopes down at a wider angle instead of a 90 degree drop.
It really depends how correct you want to make it. I’m sure you can make the late oval luggage area fit an early body but you may encounter further issues with the back seat.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
I can confirm the luggage area is different. The body was changed considerably in July 1955. Gone were the ribbed doors and the corresponding B-pillars. The rear seat was pushed backwards slightly to give more legroom. This meant the whole seat back and how it is fitted to the body had to be re-designed. Because of the new back seat position the luggage area was shortened and the area between the luggage floor and the rear body fixing bolts now slopes down at a wider angle instead of a 90 degree drop.
It really depends how correct you want to make it. I’m sure you can make the late oval luggage area fit an early body but you may encounter further issues with the back seat.

This is all great info, thank you very much for posting it here. I also have this 54 that I can probably salvage the luggage area from. As you can see the rest of the car is pretty shot, and it's well buried, but that shelf is one part that's not rotted out yet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SD
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

Yep. That '54 will be a perfect donor. I see it still has a back seat. Those seats are pretty valuable for all the reasons I mentioned above. Early versus late oval back seats are not interchangeable.

Good luck with the project!
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
Yep. That '54 will be a perfect donor. I see it still has a back seat. Those seats are pretty valuable for all the reasons I mentioned above. Early versus late oval back seats are not interchangeable.

Good luck with the project!

Totally agree with all stated above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

So, here are some of what's come around in the past week of reading and looking..
The front of this car is savable, even though the a pillars are thin and need work everywhere. The rear is mostly gone, and whats there is thin, but above the rain gutter is ok. I have found and bought a rear clip from a 54 that is the entire rear window, b pillars, luggage shelf, rear end of the heater channels, really the only parts that are missing is the apron and rear inner fender wells. With this, the front a pillars from Virtanen, and some Klassic Fab heater channels I can make it a car again, and set it down on a 55 pan that I have. I did pick the seats from the 54 parts car a post above, while not exactly correct they'll do. Sadly that car was way worse than I thought at first glance.
I have found a pair of ribbed oval doors and will maybe convert them to the split glass and regulators.
A few questions:
The lower front fender wells need repair, as does the lower front cross panel. What are the year differences for these? Are they common up until late 50's, or later? A search really didn't turn up any info.
Thanks. SD
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

The oval ribbed doors are different then split doors.
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

DDub wrote:
The oval ribbed doors are different then split doors.

pre-55 doors can be changed, not a big problem:-)
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

A quick update, as I have been collecting parts, and that has led to some questions.
As the splits pan is a wreck (but fixable), there is no beam, or trans, I picked up a rolling pan from a 64. Supposedly it even runs Wink

I am going to install new pan halves, and use this as the base to rebuild the 50 body. For repairing the body, I have this rear clip being delivered now

which will be a good solid base to build off of. With it there are some clean ribbed doors.
I have picked up a 56 oval rag, that is really far gone, but the front hinge pillars are clean and straight. Can these be used to replace the 50's? I have ordered the correct Klassic Fab heater channels, but am not sure on floor pans. Obviously this car will not be 100% correct, but I would like to run as close to a correct interior as possible. If I use a later 60's floor pan, will the early seats fit the track? Or should I use the early pans, and hunt for the correct seat tracks? I've read some mention about the angle of the seats being different, but not found any detail.
As always, thanks for whatever help or advise any can offer.
SD
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

Looks like lots of work, but worth it in the end.

I'd be interested in a link or a description of making early oval ribbed doors work. Specifically the window regulator.

Trevor
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

HerrLowlight wrote:

I'd be interested in a link or a description of making early oval ribbed doors work. Specifically the window regulator.

Trevor

I'll be sure to take a bunch of pictures, when the time comes. I've had the conversion explained to me, and looked briefly at some split and oval doors. Nothing really stood out as insurmountable, though in my case I have both sets to work with. We'll see if I need to cannibalize any actual sheet metal from the split doors, or if they are just a pattern. That's surely a way down the road..
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

a lot of work, but it sounds like you can handle it. I'll be watching for updates on the magic you do.
Louis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

dont forget that the tray has a trap for accessing the tranny on a split.
not sure if they make repro traps but that wouldnt look right to use that luggage tray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

with nice carpet over it no one will see that missing small (and relatively disfunctional) detail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 (51?) split excavation Reply with quote

Car is stripped down (farther) and has some bracing welded in. Removed the pan, which may be fixable.
Dragging the pan out from underneath

In all it's crusty glory

I've since gotten the pedals and master removed

The frame head is rusted through on the other side though..
The rear is in better shape. Though the spring plates are rusted solidly to the torsion housing..

The vin number has been pretty well obliterated unfortunately.
Here's some bracing, to which I've added some casters. I'll get busy soon removing the roof from the rest of the rear clip.

long road ahead for sure. SD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: