Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:
. All that said, I was more worried that it might inject too much fuel compared to the stock valve, .

Could these be bench tested and volume of fuel released vs time be measured?

Absolutely.. As Max said, its just an injector. Any capable injector shop should be able to test and measure flow. If you get creative, you can probably get a ROUGHish measurement with a DIY bench setup. Maybe someone will step up on that.

Am I planning on doing any more with it? No... not unless the new CSV gives me some indication that its not working as it should. Right now everything is right at rain, so on I go to other problems..

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

I've only come to read the updates on this thread now. Thanks so much for taking the time to test, document and share your setup.

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
-Flow specs are unknown. I would expect it to be a higher volume flow than the original CSV based solely on the fact that the OEM application for this part was a larger displacement engine (~2.8L BMW). [...]

From the old Bosch datasheet (*):

Original CSV:
- Bosch part no: 0 280 170 026
- Initial application: VW 411E
- Flow: 85 cm³/min (test pressure not specified)
- https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en/product-detail/-/product/0280170026
- Discontinued 04/2014

Alternative CSV:
- Bosch part no: 0 280 170 032
- Initial application: BMW 3.0 l USA, BMW 3.3 l
- Flow: 93 cm³/min at 3 bar
- https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en/product-detail/-/product/0280170032
- Discontinued 05/2007 <= the SMP CSV is available as old stock, I guess?

(*) I downloaded it from bosch-classic.com, before they took the site down for maintenance. Product search has been down for weeks.

Decode your M-Plate
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

If someone wants the original part PM me.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Greetings! - is anyone able to provide the distance between the mounting holes on the CSV?

Just bought an aftermarket one, and would to know if it fits. Really cannot get to my vehicle now.

Much appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

looks normal
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Thanks, but sorry, this is the measurement (pic is of the original) I need
to compare this distance to my new CSV
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

put the two side by side. Bosch only made so many styles. That style is the same as the one on your bus. Look at the part number on it.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Wish I could, don't have an extra one to compare, & not able to get to my bus now, and due to back injury can't be bending over much to get my CSV out at this time.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

well, there is a number on the valve. You will probably find it if you look. Once you have that compare it to the known value for a bus. The color looks like it is a Bosch unit. Probably 022 906 171B or 0 280 170026
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

The same CSV pattern was used on dozens of vehicles around the world. It will fit.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loftus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
Greetings! - is anyone able to provide the distance between the mounting holes on the CSV?

Just bought an aftermarket one, and would to know if it fits. Really cannot get to my vehicle now.

Much appreciated.

Here's the measurement...
Seems like 33mm from center of holes. Compared in pic is the CSV you have (foreground) against one from a 1984 VW GTI CSV (Background). Seems like a standard fitment as the measurement is the same on both CSV's.

Last edited by Loftus on Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

by the way, it does not appear to be an "aftermarket csv." It appears to be a used genuine Bosch CSV from a type 4 engine.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Loftus wrote:
mr matt wrote:

Much appreciated.

Here's the measurement...
Seems like 33mm from center of holes. Compared in pic is the CSV you have against one from a 1984 VW GTI CSV. Seems like a standard fitment as the measurement is the same on both CSV's.

Measure that edge to edge and assume holes are same size for greater accuracy
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Sorry,
the pic I posted was taken from this site of a Bus CSV for ref of the measurement I was looking for., the one I bought if from a Toyota, which is not pictured.

Thank you Abscate, that is what i was looking for.

My next question is earlier in this site it was mentioned to have fuses in the engine bay... how does this help alleviate the cause of a fire or protection from?
Every electric line should have a fuse in the engine area?

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
Sorry,
the pic I posted was taken from this site of a Bus CSV for ref of the measurement I was looking for., the one I bought if from a Toyota, which is not pictured.

Thank you Abscate, that is what i was looking for.

My next question is earlier in this site it was mentioned to have fuses in the engine bay... how does this help alleviate the cause of a fire or protection from?
Every electric line should have a fuse in the engine area?

The FI system power is unfused, adding a fuse protects the components from meltdown if a fault occurs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Wow, even though I did not look at any wiring diagram, thought those wires were fused...
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Hi, I think my cold start isn’t functioning well.

It starts fine but then I have a fuel flow problem.
I have new plugs, filters, cap ,rotor, points.

This issue started slowly after the bus was warmed up.
Now I can barely creep in and out of my driveway.

I live in No. Cal.
Above 45 most winter days.

Did I read I can bypass the CVS if I want to?

Even as a fix today that would be awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

it would not start if the CSV wasn't working. If the CSV was stuck on you would be belching black smoke.

Maybe be more specific with the symptoms. Most likely you have a vacuum leak somewhere or a hose has fallen off like the Aux Air elbow. Or is someone was working on it they may have forgotten to reattach the connector to the AFM etc..
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Lol!
If someone else was working on it Laughing

That’s me, yep, I’ll start checking all of those places.

I’ve forgotten thing before.

Thank you
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Yes, that does not sound like a cold start v.

Mine failed, I was able to start the bus, but it idled very rough until it warmed up, once warmed up.. it was ready to go....

agree with SG, be good to check vacuum leaks..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: