Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission cooler
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

Gypsymobile wrote:
Got a cooler on order.

Pre-Cooler temps are 190-225 F.

Which ATF fluid are you fellas using or rate the best?

Pentosin, Redline, Amsoil etc

I was using Pentosin - but when my trans fluid dumped out (twice!, each time I ended up using a Motor-Master brand full-synthetic ATF from C-Tire designed for multiple vehicles (I guess that means anything not domestic). On their website they only show single quarts, but in store they had 5 gallon jugs. No issues for me so far (other than hose clamping!) -- stuff meets VW G052162 specifications. Product is made by Shell Canada.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

I finally got the cooler installed -- twice. I originally installed it with the hose supplied with the Sonax kit, but was a little queasy about the fitment since the hoses were too taut for my comfort. I ended up moving the core further to the center and added longer hoses. When I pulled the hoses off I saw how dark the ATF was so I decided to change the fluid and filter. While the fluid was dark and there was some tiny swarf suspended, I didn't find any other detritus in the pan, and it didn't smell burnt. Unfortunately the plastic overfill tube was broken, so I can't fill it until it leaks out the drain hole any longer.

I guess I'll just try snaking a tube down from the top and fill it with four liters + one pint for the core--as per GoWesty instructions on their site. Or do I need to account for fluid left in the TC and dial back that fluid amount?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

I just have a funnel with a hose on it. It works fine.

If you drop the pan and change the filter, there's an unofficial way that I would never endorse in a million years because it's really wrong and just the absolute worst thing you could ever do.

Since we have the disclaimer out of the way. Using the forbidden method, you can put the van on level ground and take out the drain plug but leave the stovepipe in. Fill the transmission until it runs out all over the ground. Start the van and then put more in it until it runs all over the ground and makes an even bigger mess. Put the plug in on the fill and drain. Go out and drive the van for 5 minutes. Park it back over that Exxon Valdeez spill you created. Go under the van and take the drain plug out and let it add to your existing mess. When it's just dripping out, install the plug and then call Hazmat.

That will get you close enough for what you need. Again, never do this method as it's just not the right thing to do even if we are being attacked by aliens or zombies. It's not worth the risk.
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:

Since we have the disclaimer out of the way. Using the forbidden method, you can put the van on level ground and take out the drain plug but leave the stovepipe in. Fill the transmission until it runs out all over the ground. Start the van and then put more in it until it runs all over the ground and makes an even bigger mess. Put the plug in on the fill and drain. Go out and drive the van for 5 minutes. Park it back over that Exxon Valdeez spill you created. Go under the van and take the drain plug out and let it add to your existing mess. When it's just dripping out, install the plug and then call Hazmat.

That will get you close enough for what you need. Again, never do this method as it's just not the right thing to do even if we are being attacked by aliens or zombies. It's not worth the risk.

uhh.. isn't that pretty much the official way you do it?
only you don't go drive it around - it would get too hot..
you just go through all the gears and idle it until the fluid is up to 100F.. then do the drain & drip.

EDIT - really good write-up on the procedure here:
http://www.rialtainfo.com/vw/transmission.htm#fluid

Last edited by Turk.380 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

It turns out that my Napa ATF funnel with flexible hose fit perfectly. I added four liters of liquid gold and just let it be. Unfortunately I don't have the option of filling until it overflows because that plastic tube is broken off above the drain hole. One of these days I'll just buy that dipstick setup and resolve this problem for good.

y u rune klassik?
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
Now fast forward 6 months later from installation - and I have had a failure. ...So after 6 months of near daily use - these clamps had loosened themselves at the transmission ports. Ideas?

One idea: The clamp may be settling into the rubber of the hose, so the pressure holding it to the connector reduces slightly over time. SO-maybe the clamp should be slightly tightened after 2 weeks, then another month later, and at 3 mo, and maybe year later. All small adjustments, but just to compensate for the smushing of the rubber. And not just with cheaper clamps, but any clamp on rubber hose.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
Itsamoto wrote:
Now fast forward 6 months later from installation - and I have had a failure. ...So after 6 months of near daily use - these clamps had loosened themselves at the transmission ports. Ideas?

One idea: The clamp may be settling into the rubber of the hose, so the pressure holding it to the connector reduces slightly over time. SO-maybe the clamp should be slightly tightened after 2 weeks, then another month later, and at 3 mo, and maybe year later. All small adjustments, but just to compensate for the smushing of the rubber. And not just with cheaper clamps, but any clamp on rubber hose.

Yes! I actually changed out all the NAPA fasteners from the kit and just went with the VW constant pressure clamps (as per the rest of the hosing). I really just wanted to make it something that I could "Set and forget" - I have more confidence in these VW ones - but they are a real pain to get off and on with just a pair of plyers!
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
Every trans cooler kit I see has crappy hose and it ends up giving problems. I suggest that you look at Jegs or Summit for Aeroquip socketless hose. That stuff is the strongest stuff I've ever seen and it works great for high oil temps in really bad conditions. With their barb fittings, you don't need a clamp (trust me, you'll have to cut the hose if you want to get it off).

Hi - I need to get my cooler installed but looks like I need to sort out this hose/clamp issue first. The last thing I want is an install that ends up ruining my tranny or stranded . Seems like the plumbing problems reporting are more the clamps than the hoses or both ?

Edit:
OK, well, the situation on my van has changed, so here's my revised report question. I just went to double check that there was or was not a cooler before ordering the GoWesty. The previous owner had told me he thought there was one, then I had a VW mechanic (Vanagon not really EVs) do some work last summer on our first trip and he told me there was no cooler. I had seen some symptoms of it running hot under stress, so I believed him.

And now, pulling off the grille for the first time, I see that there IS a small cooler already installed, probably by the Seattle tranny shop that overhauled the Transmission two owners back. It's had no trouble with the plumbing, so I'm no longer considering the hose issue.

The concern now is that it's a much smaller cooler than the Tru-cool MAX medium (4221), which explains why the tranny might seem to run a bit hot in certain circumstances. The 4221 is 6"x23" and the one I've got installed is 4"x 11" Probably about half the BTU rating if that.

I think I'm gonna swap in the 4221, using the existing hoses. Maybe change the clamps, though I hate to fool with something that already has years of service without trouble.

It's got some weird professional looking type of mounting on it, I wonder how that works, but hopefully that will be clearer once I pull the whole front apart.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by swsl on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

I monitored temps on our recent trip down and back on the west coast while ambient temps were around 60-80 during the day. I have a German Transaxle kit without t-stat. Average transmission temps were 120-150, lows were around 100.

Normal climbs like a pass where I could maintain average speeds of 60mph or better (assuming the torque converter was fairly well locked up) my temps would rise up around 205.

In one case entering the sequoia national park from the southern (Three rivers) side the climb is pretty brutal. Speeds range from 10-35mph while elevation climbs several thousand feet. Ambient was probably around 60 while transmission temps hovered in the 240-250 range for the last 20-30 minutes of the climb. Our 2001 MV weekender Westy was loaded with 4 people, all our gear for 2 weeks, a rooftop space box, and a 5' wide aluminum hitch mounted cargo box on a steel swing hitch (the hitch weighs 40lbs alone).

I'm pretty sure my transmission has Redline D4 in it which led me to wonder what the operating temps are on such a fluid. I didn't find it directly on the site so I gave them a call and spoke to an application engineer who was very friendly and helpful. Here are some points I picked up from my questions that ya'll might be interested in if you don't already know:

Q: Is 240-250F for 20-30 minutes enough to degrade the performance of the D4 fluid, and should I change my fluid now?
A: Not at all, D4 will not be compromised at 250F. Generally speaking though, seals may begin to soften around 295, and hard parts such as clutch discs could start to see surface effects around 325-350; you'd be advised to keep your temps below 300.

Q:Some of us are using thermostats (set at about 190) in our Transmission cooler circuits (recommended by GoWesty); do you see this a benefit and is this a good temperature?
A: Yes, a thermostat is a good idea and 195 is perfect. Benefits of running a Tstat at this temp are reduced friction compared to cooler fluid such as the 120F you mentioned which can reduce lubrication and increase fuel consumption (effects of the higher viscosity at lower temps); both negative impacts. Running cooler also prevents heat from evaporating off any condensation in the ATF that may have accumulated. I would advise installing the thermostat for best performance.
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

I know that road up into that part of the park. That's when you want the best cooling possible!

Thanks for sharing all this good information. Your running temperatures as well. Interesting feedback from Redline about the value of a thermostat - one that runs closer to 195.

And good to know the temp range these top synthetics can handle.

So, if a thermostat is recommended, is the German Transaxle kit still a safe bet after some (or just one?) plumbing failure? They claim to use quality hoses and include a thermostat. Subbing in the better clamps, though. With their guarantees and experience one would think that GTA and GoWesty would be including the best plumbing setup they can put together.
robert reese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

So I have read the posts and still wondering what is the cooler of choice? I will be installing it myself , prices are with in a 100 dollars from low to high ,installation ease would help for sure. So witch one would YOU buy. Question Question
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
Well to update this thread a bit (and get some advice) -- I did end up installing the Tru-Cool 4921 unit to my '02 GLS this past summer.

I ended up getting a sweet deal (~$200 CAD shipped) on this from a nearby reseller (Can-West Transmissions). It also included the thermal bypass valve (just 'cause I'm in Canada).

I then ordered the Sonnax adapter kit from Rock Auto - but when its arrival date conflicted with our trip date - I improvised and went with an M12 to NPT adapter - -which with a new o-ring in place has worked fine (despite some initial concerns on the thread angles). This basically replaces the banjo bolt/sonnax adapter kit - and best of all can be sourced cheaper/quicker too.

Install went well -- the cumulative advice posted here and Texas Pigeon's videos are all helpful. I used this as an opportunity to flush out the old coolant as well.

Here's there old cooler, and you can see where I disconnected my coolant hoses --to give you an idea of how they can be further bypassed.

And then temps monitored from the cabin with an indigo gauge from New South Performance. This was giving me some false readings as I didn't have a good solid ground connection - but once that was fixed - all good (a colour matches the interior perfectly too).

So all in all -- the cooler works and the temp readings immediately are down (from the 220-230's pre-coooler) and haven't exceeded 200F since.

This is the cooler I installed.

y u rune klassik?
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

Does anyone know the barb size for the splice in the coolant hose? I`m not using the Sonnax adapter(like Isamoto) and need to source one at the local flaps.
nsidhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to install the transmission cooler on Rialta and in a situation that cannot wait to get the fittings shipped. I already have the original cooler out and trying to find the fittings that I saw in the post but having hard time finding them in the local stores. Can someone suggest me where I can find these fittings 12mm x 1.5mm with o-ring and barb on the other side.

Any help is appreciated as I'm leaving for 4000km road trip next week.

[/img]
nsidhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

It’s done it was pretty easy after I spent $90 to get the fittings from performance shop. I had to get 12mmx1.5 to 3/4 male dapper and then 90 degree 3/4 female to automotive barb fitting. The shop person told me that these are automotive grade barb fitting and I don’t need a clamp. In the end it was pretty easy. Let’s hope no leaks like other have experienced here.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

Do you have brands and part #s?

y u rune klassik?
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Do you have brands and part #s?

This what I'm using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NADCF0Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPCPTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Along with:
- orings, the ones used on the inside of the stock cooler,
- Gates 3/8" transmission hose, and
- Oeitiker type single sided clamps.

Apparently, the fancy AN hose that needs no clamps doesn't work with the blue thermostat bypass, so standard transmission hose is needed.
Ejspada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

How has the transmissionn been ? Did you install a temp gauge? What temperatures are you running ? What transmission fluid are you running?

[quote="ovsa"]O.k. Finally got around to installing an aftermarket Transmission Oil cooler on my 1996 EVC

Bought it from Macko out of Fla. They were having a sale so though it should go for it.

Watched Tex Pigeon video first on U-tube but because he demonstrates on a Rialta, my installation was different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
c1.staticflickr.com/1/396/32164810922_a85f9c1845_c.jpg[/img]

Here's there old cooler, and you can see where I disconnected my coolant hoses --to give you an idea of how they can be further bypassed.

I know it has been a really looooooooooong time since this was first posted. However, I'm curious to know what type of bypass you may have done???
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Itsamoto wrote:
c1.staticflickr.com/1/396/32164810922_a85f9c1845_c.jpg[/img]

I know it has been a really looooooooooong time since this was first posted. However, I'm curious to know what type of bypass you may have done???

I bypassed the line going from the upper radiator to the OE cooler and another line from the back. Documented here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: