Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Yeah, you started this thread almost 12 weeks ago. Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

ArtistGollaher wrote:
Seeing more of inside the case do you think I should still split the case, or would it be good to put back together and fire her up?

At this point of proof maybe you should see a eye doctor. Kidding aside get this apart and start the process. Procrastinating after the evidence proves you need to go in is just wasting time.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Bernie, its good to see you made it here, this is a great thread and I think it needs to go on for at least nine more pages. I went back to page one and it just keeps getting better. I'm sure glad it reappeared Very Happy speaking of long lasting engines made me think of Robert at Der German. He built a few and taught me a lot.
ArtistGollaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Hey it is what it is. I have very limited time to work on it. So of course if at any point you very experienced guys out there says they see no reason to continue. Then I would jump on the opportunity and just put back together. I'm not against splitting it. I just want to make sure it's a necessity instead of just a slim precautionary measure. Really appreciate the great help though!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

I'm begining to think you've reeled us all in. But hey I'll go another nine pages with you. I'd put it all back together then start another thread asking how to pre oil an engine that sat for a few years. Very Happy when I was a lad in A&P school we disassembled perfectly running air cooled aircraft engines measured it all and put it all back together and it had to run on a test stand. I want more pictures please take more. I saw rust on that flywheel.
ArtistGollaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Lol! Too funny!

Yes the flywheel had rust on it. But I'm not using that one anyway. I will definitely take lots more pics!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

It is a slim precautionary measure to remove the last bit of doubt that you don't have a fresh new shiny rebuilt engine, which you knew already.

People here are liberal with other people's time to spend to a fault. You could have run this thing weeks ago and found it was a decently operating runner , nothing more or less.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It is a slim precautionary measure to remove the last bit of doubt that you don't have a fresh new shiny rebuilt engine, which you knew already.

People here are liberal with other people's time to spend to a fault. You could have run this thing weeks ago and found it was a decently operating runner , nothing more or less.

Yes but this is the Samba and it doesn't matter what you post somebody usually one with little or no experience will cut and paste what they've heard another self professed expert say. VWs as you know are very fragile and unreliable vehicles. The reputation is all fantasy and poppycock. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

ArtistGollaher wrote:
Lol! Too funny!

Yes the flywheel had rust on it. But I'm not using that one anyway. I will definitely take lots more pics!

Do you know how and do you have the tools to measure and set end play?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

The cut and paste brigade will say you can use a feeler gauge but dial indicator is precise, it's what real mechanics use.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ArtistGollaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Yes I usually just use a feeler gauge. I would like to invest in a dial indicator one of these days. 😊
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
[

VWs as you know are very fragile and unreliable vehicles. The reputation is all fantasy and poppycock. Very Happy

I disagree wholeheartedly with that unfounded statement.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
[

VWs as you know are very fragile and unreliable vehicles. The reputation is all fantasy and poppycock. Very Happy

I disagree wholeheartedly with that unfounded statement.

It's just humor my friend Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

ArtistGollaher wrote:
Yes I usually just use a feeler gauge. I would like to invest in a dial indicator one of these days. 😊

Not much of an investment, saw one moments ago on eBay for 6.60 out the door.
ArtistGollaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Oh ok. Well then I will be getting one sooner than later.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

ArtistGollaher wrote:
Oh ok. Well then I will be getting one sooner than later.

Gee, don't it sound like everyone is twisting your arm. Get off the sofa and get one at Harbor Freight for cheap.

Oh ok....Geez Louise !!!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Anyone else seen a thread go 9 pages about whether to split an engine case or not? WTH? Rolling Eyes

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Anyone else seen a thread go 9 pages about whether to split an engine case or not? WTH? Rolling Eyes

I'd sure hate to be this guy's real estate agent trying to sell him a house....would probably take years to complete the transaction. If he didn't get cold feet and back out first.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I'd sure hate to be this guy's real estate agent trying to sell him a house....would probably take years to complete the transaction. If he didn't get cold feet and back out first.

Ok but either way he goes its going to eat up more space so if he splits it I will be here to comment, if he just puts it back together I will still comment as needed. Actually I can see why he would be apprehensive, he received conflicting advice more than once, if you were a newbie what would you do?

All B.S. aside he's gone 2/3 of the way already now I'm going to say take it apart and ck it out. I think they look nice inside, don't you?

These are in dry storage been there for years. When the time comes I'll look them over and fire em up they are both 36hp and will go back into the ovals
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

You're gonna be unhappy when someone bumps the hangar wall and that pile of cases tumbles onto your pretty car. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: