Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UTV paddles for a rail
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefdaveboats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: UTV paddles for a rail Reply with quote

My son and I both have completed buggies and are planning a trip to little Sahara in October. I have some 4x130 14 inch aluminum wheels, 2 14x7 and 4 14x6, that we would like to use to keep cost down. Both buggies are warmed over dual port 1641's putting out something in the 60-70 HP range. One has 4.125 gears and the other 3.88's.

What I've found in 14's are 30x14-14, 30x12-14 and 28x11-14 sizes. Based on rim width, power output and gear ratios what would be a good pick. Would like to keep cost under $300 per pair. Neither of us plan on running the bigger dunes, I'm 69 and will stick to the "bunny" slopes.
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: UTV paddles for a rail Reply with quote

Since UTVs now weigh almost twice as much as a buggy, I suppose any of those tires would work, but their tires are smaller and seem to cost just as much, so why bother?
Dennis
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: UTV paddles for a rail Reply with quote

chiefdaveboats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: UTV paddles for a rail Reply with quote

I'm trying to use existing wheels and it seems that UTV tires are a little lighter. Given the limited HP that we are working with lighter would be easier to keep spinning. My offroading has been limited to trails and muddy lake bottoms on an ATV, let me know if my thinking is flawed.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: UTV paddles for a rail Reply with quote

I'd go 28's. Paddles suck a lot of power in the sand so your buggy will be faster with smaller tires. Get as wide as you can.

I've never understood why no one makes a buggy paddle that's 26" tall 13 wide for a 15" wheel. That would be appropriate for at least 50% of vw buggys
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: UTV paddles for a rail Reply with quote

I've seen a number of people discuss it in recent years.

Given that 14" tires are a pretty good savings, I'd even consider it unless someone explained the downside to me. And take-offs can be had for little more than a song, quite often.

ymmv
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: