Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 64 notchback build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

I had a really successful day working on it! I welded a replacement plate that I made on the back. I put on the new exhaust (with much heartache having to cut off the old manifold nuts)...I put in the shifter bushing and I primed the deck lid to paint! heres some pictures! I didnt sand all of my weld marks off of the plate because I didnt want to accidently put a hole in it. afterall that part is under the car. And the rear apron is coming together... I fiberglassed the hole and slathered a big hunk of bondo over it. after cutting that down and adding one more. I think it will do the job!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

My vin is 0456671... can anyone tell me about what that means?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

One more thing. I am wanting to put discs on the front... what year is this car just for confirmation? I thought it was a 63, but is it a 65? also... I really want some drop spindles for it so I can do the disc conversion.
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

From what I can tell you do indeed have an "N" model that appears to be from mid 1964. Can you confirm if you have prop rods to hold open the front and rear hoods?
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

Yes, your VIN indicates a June 1964 build date, which would make it a late 1964 model. The 1965 models were built starting in August 1964.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

I do have prop rods
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

Iva kinda turned this into my rebuild thread lol but here's some pics from this weekends work!

tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Hey all so I have some updated new questions to ask...
First question
So I asked on another thread about the discs and the ones I bought have the 5x130 porche pattern...My back brakes on the other hand are the original flower power drums with the wide 5 style... What is the best way to handle this difference? Can I drill my flower power drums into a porche pattern?
Second question

so I am building out my engine a little better before long. I have a 1500 (single port) engine in it... I am wanting to put an electronic distributor in it. Will this one work?
http://www.amazon.com/Pertronix-D186504-Flame-Thro...PDKIKX0DER
Third question
for the carburetor...My original solex carb is bad...( I think), it for sure has a bad choke on it and the car is hard to start (obviously because the bad choke)...the car also wants to die when I rev it, but it can go at high rpm as long as I go slowly...I assume this is because this is the carburetor being bad? Or could this be the distributor? I believe the vacuum advance is doing well though. it is hard to tell.
Anyways... I am wanting to put a new carb on it. Should I go ahead and do it now with a replacement stock style carb? should I wait and go dual carbs? or should I wait and put bigger pistons in the motor and put webber 40s on it? I see a lot of those $100 dollar empi oem style replacements that are very appealing because of their price, but most of them have a 12v choke...
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

1. I don't have any experience with aftermarket disc kits, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with brake advice. There are kits out there for wide-5 cars, though, if you can return the kit you bought.

2. Is your car still 6 volt? If so, that distributor won't work. I wouldn't use one of those cheap Chinese distributors. However, Pertronix does make a 6 volt Ignitor module for your distributor. I used one for many years in my last Bug.

3. Please post some engine pictures, so we can see what you have. You should have a single side draft carburetor. You can't buy these new, but they can be rebuilt easily. How do you know anything is wrong with it? The symptoms you describe could be caused by any number of things, like points, plug wires, plugs, or timing. Those $100 Empi carburetors won't fit your car anyway.

Do you have a shop manual for the car? It's the best buy you can make. Resist the temptation to throw parts at everything. Test, don't guess.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

I think I'm going to hold on to the porche discs because I got a really good deal with spindle and all, so I'll just have to decide on what I need to do wheel wise.

Okay so all be distributors are the same? Type 1 to type 3 and all?

My carb does go from the side

Also, is it possible to remove the engine shroud with the engine in the car? To paint it?
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

If you want to use 5X130 wheels, I don't think your rear drums will work either. You may have gotten a good deal on the spindles, but it will probably cost more in the long run than if you just get the correct fitting parts now.

All distributors are not the same. There are some numbers on the side of your distributor. One is the Bosch number, one is the VW part number. Either of these can be used to look it up and make sure it's the right one for your car, or to order distributor parts. Type 1 and Type 3 distributors are not the same; the Type 3 distributor drive pinion is offset 60 degrees from that of a Type 1. You didn't mention if your car is still 6 volt.

Again, there are very few Type 1 parts which will fit your car.

I see your choke is not connected to power, so that won't allow your car to run right. That black wire coming from the electromagnetic cut-off valve on the left side of the carburetor should then go around to the right side and connect to the choke. Where is it going now? If it touches bare metal it will short out and could start a fire. And speaking of fire, those fuel lines should get clamps so your car doesn't go up in smoke. It's no fun standing on the side of the road watching a VW go up in flames. Ask me how I know! Shocked

Some of the engine shrouding can be removed with the engine in the car, but it's 10 times easier with it out. You're almost certain to run into some stubborn fasteners that won't want to come out.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

yeah Ill tape that off. The choke is unplugged because I am sure that it was dead so I just unhooked it.

What do people usually do with the rear type 3 brakes? I havent seen many new wheel cylinders? on that note, I am also looking for a master cylinder.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Most of the volkswagen people look for type 3 brakes because they are larger than the beetle type. I would try to find all your brake parts before you look into disc brake conversions.
Connect the choke and other loose wires first, then start to figure out the issues. We still are unsure of the 6 or 12 volt system.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

its a 6v. The current brakes work, the whole setup has just not been touched since around 1983
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

I think you can buy new VW brake drums drilled for 5X130mm for the rear. If not you might have room for adapters on the rear? Front disc/rear drum brakes will stop you fine. Do not search for new wheel cylinders & master cylinders. Buy new rebuild kits and rebuild your original German parts if & and only if they are leaking.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:

What do people usually do with the rear type 3 brakes? I havent seen many new wheel cylinders? on that note, I am also looking for a master cylinder.

Parts are available, but you have to use a different year like 66 instead of 64. Wheel cylinders, and brake shoes are the same from 64 to 73. VW went to 4 lug in 66, when they introduced the type 3 line to the USA. Parts become available for 66 on (at parts places), because of that. For rear drums, look for a pair from a 66 to 73, and make sure you get the hubs too (best quality). You can have them redrilled to the 5-130 pattern, and they'll directly swap to your 64. If possible, get the backing plates too, as it'll help when you do brake adjustments (or you'll have to drill some holes in your existing backing plates).
Adapters going from the 5-205 (wide 5) to the 5-130 (Porsche pattern) won't work, as they add too much to the width at the rear (tire won't clear the fender), so stay away from them.
If you're planning on going disc brakes up front, try and get a dual circuit type 3 only master cylinder, and send it to Jim Adney for rebuilding. I only say that, as jim has rebuilt several for me over the years, as well as doing some for others here. He can be contacted at [email protected] . You'll also need to either split the feed line to the master cylinder (if you go dual circuit), or use a 67 only res, or go with a 68 and later and drill an extra hole for the feed lines. It's just part of the beast when doing an upgrade/conversion. But that upgrade/conversion is also a safety feature, so keep that in mind. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

I ended up canceling the order on the disc brakes with the porsche pattern. I figured that I am going to wait and get one of those BAD series disc brakes that come with the wide 5 pattern (sometime down the road).

For now I am going to focus on tuning up my engine a little. So I have 2 questions.

1.)
I want to put an electronic distributor in it, but I cannot find what I am looking for on the web. I want a distributor without points. Anyone got a link to the one I need to buy?

2.)
The carburetor. Do I need to buy a rebuild kit for my Solex carb? Where could I buy it? or would I be better off getting some of those dual 34 carbs for like $300 and putting those on?
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
I ended up canceling the order on the disc brakes with the porsche pattern. I figured that I am going to wait and get one of those BAD series disc brakes that come with the wide 5 pattern (sometime down the road).

For now I am going to focus on tuning up my engine a little. So I have 2 questions.

1.)
I want to put an electronic distributor in it, but I cannot find what I am looking for on the web. I want a distributor without points. Anyone got a link to the one I need to buy?

2.)
The carburetor. Do I need to buy a rebuild kit for my Solex carb? Where could I buy it? or would I be better off getting some of those dual 34 carbs for like $300 and putting those on?

6 volt electronic ignition are out there but not very common

Here's the rebuild kit, https://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SO-22K

I would rebuild the carb and see how you like it. I've had a single carb engine and when tuned and running properly it had enough zip for me.

I get that it's your car and you can and will do what you want with it but I figure I will just go ahead a say it. The car you have is a rareish version of the notchback. Later N models don't just pop up everywhere so I would suggest to keep the mods to ones that can be changed over with reasonable work.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Pertronix makes a 6 volt Ignitor module, but I don't know if it will fit your distributor. You could buy one and see, and if it doesn't fit you can return it. Go to their website and read more.

How do you know your carburetor needs rebuilding? You mentioned earlier you believe your choke is bad. What's wrong with it? It might just need adjusting, which should be done periodically.

A cleaning and rebuild may be needed, but I'd be sure first. Also be sure the plugs and wires are in top condition.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: