Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Yes Ray I caught it. What toyota and VW did with coils in the 80's is certainly a good example of opposite approaches.
IMO history favors the toyota Laughing But they both do fire a plug a lot better than a "blue coil"

Nick, yes it does seem to be possible to build such a thing. I guess we can blame the lack of such a thing existing commonly on......lack of interest?
There is a company in austrailia making a booster, but it only handles 4 amps, and costs 70$, and.....that's not very impressive.

I might build it if I had no other choice.
That's how I'm getting into transmissions, I have no desire to smell like gear oil, but my desire to have all five gears working is greater. Shocked
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Same here, that's how I got into MS to start off with. People are always figuring out better ways to do things, for me it doesn't get more elegant than EDIS coil pack/crank sensor. Personally I'll never go back to having a distributor, but having a high current driver box that's cheap would probably appeal to a lot of people at the $20 price point- especially if it accepts input from points/opti/mag.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Has anybody been able to find a TFI connector that is longer than a half foot, or is uncrimped like a bunch of the EFI connectors floating around? It would be nice to make up my own rather than gutting a van or splicing it...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Has anybody been able to find a TFI connector that is longer than a half foot, or is uncrimped like a bunch of the EFI connectors floating around? It would be nice to make up my own rather than gutting a van or splicing it...

If someone has a TFI plug and you look closely at it you will probably find a part #. Ford made a lot of their own plugs.....almost all of Toyota and Nissan stuff was made by AMP and they usually have a part #.

You can usually order the plugs from places like TE connectivity and digikey along with the crimpable connectors for them. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well, got the module bolted up to an old heatsink, and made up a bracket to attach it to my kadron linkage. Ran the ground to an extra coil three-way terminal I had, and ran a separate ground from there to the firewall, although it's probably not needed. Got the timing set properly (it was somehow creeping up to around 45° and I think the hold down bracket was loose. Set to 31° now, and the module has proved a nice addition to the system.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Nice. That heatsink has some nice finnage. Wink

So I am going to pull the trigger on a new coil for my car... ( I think my current coil is beginning to act up some when hot in the midrange rpm range. It is an older coil. Which of the two mentioned before would be better, the wells C843 for cali emissions or the c831? Also I'm not understanding much why the cali version would pass more current... Can anyone enlighten me? I thought a high voltage from lowish primary to high secondary resistances would cause a strong spark... But it seems to me that 3000 secondary resistance is kind of low? I'm not getting something but if you guys could clarify for me I'd greatly appreciate it!

-Frank
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Based on just looking at the specs I would want to try the C899

c831 should be more or less equivalent to petronix or accel universal coil, and should work too.

Yeah I don"t know what's so good about the high current coil either, It might be good for running e-85 in winter?
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Well, got the module bolted up to an old heatsink, and made up a bracket to attach it to my kadron linkage. Ran the ground to an extra coil three-way terminal I had, and ran a separate ground from there to the firewall, although it's probably not needed. Got the timing set properly (it was somehow creeping up to around 45° and I think the hold down bracket was loose. Set to 31° now, and the module has proved a nice addition to the system.

Good to hear you've gotten it all sorted out. Wink

After you've had a chance to run it for a while can you let me/us know how you gas mileage is affected by the TFI mod?

BTW, what's up with your spark plug wires being knotted up like that? It looks like it's got to be cross firing with the plug wires all wrapped around each other like that. Question

Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

GoMopar440 wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

Good to hear you've gotten it all sorted out. Wink

After you've had a chance to run it for a while can you let me/us know how you gas mileage is affected by the TFI mod?

BTW, what's up with your spark plug wires being knotted up like that? It looks like it's got to be cross firing with the plug wires all wrapped around each other like that. Question

The coil wire is looped kinda funky for now, it hasnt proven to be a problem... cant be much worse than the factory plug wire clips on the shroud Laughing

ill probably undo it and route them a little better, but ive never had a problem in the past, even running worse spaghetti than that. ive been meaning to clean it up somehow tho. i usually like it neater than that.

as far as gas mileage, we shall see. the worn-out 009 im running has a ton of timing scatter when used with points or a replacement module (timing light gets all wibbly-wobbly at higher revs) and has maybe 30% of what it did with the TFI now running the show. im ordering up an SVDA soon (i recently set up both of my carbs for ported vacuum for advance) and hopefully things will only improve.

ive got about $250 i need to throw to my barrel guy for a custom rifle barrel he's finishing for me soon, so the VW budget has to cool down for the next week or so though.

GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

I believe we're both on a few of the same gun forums as I've seen your user name in a few different places. I use the same user name as I do here on pretty much all forums if possible for continuity, and since I have a bad case of CRS (Can't Remember $#!t). Shoot me a PM if you want to talk shop about current and past boom stick projects. Wink
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

GoMopar440 wrote:
I believe we're both on a few of the same gun forums as I've seen your user name in a few different places. I use the same user name as I do here on pretty much all forums if possible for continuity, and since I have a bad case of CRS (Can't Remember $#!t). Shoot me a PM if you want to talk shop about current and past boom stick projects. Wink

I'm on Akfiles, diyaudio, nano-reef, surplusrifleforum, and calguns.net too, lol. I use the same name everywhere, ha.

Sneak peak at where my money is going next, here's the last pic Randy (barrel guy) sent me....

In the VW world however, I'm heading to the junkyard in the morning to try and pull a dizzy from a fabric, looks like a hall-effect SVDA. I'll try to get it all shoehorned into an aircooled dizzy if possible (and cheap enough)

GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

LOL, nice! I just got my brother talked into building a stamped Yugo M72. I'm going to be building another M72 as well, but I want to go with a milled kit this time. It'll make a good match for my Yugo M76 (8mm).
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

So, I replaced my blue coil with one I had in my stash. Generic auto zone coil.

Turns out the auto zone coil was better than both blues I had.

Bosch Blue 1: 5 ohm primary 8.2k secondary

Bosch Blue 2: 5.5 ohm primary, 8.0k secondary.

Generic Autozone for which I have to look up the part number:

2.8 primary and 10.5k secondary. This coil is black and oil filled.

Put it on the car to mitigate an occasional miss with the blue coil. Not only is the spark very noticeably bigger and stronger (louder too) than the blue, the car accelerates stronger and smoother as well. I am shocked that this coil is behaving better than the bosch, though I had read about Bosch losing their touch lately.

Figured I would share. I am still probably going to buy a coil, undecided yet as to which one, I'm researching some more still. May open up the spark gap to 0.035 when I do this and see how it runs.

-Frank
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

SWEET! The best things in life cost nothing.

I think your multi-meter is off a little, reading an ohm high.
What does it read in ohms just touching the probes together?

Mine reads 0.2, but it's a fairly good unit, my brother stole it from the high school science lab. best things in life!
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

You are completely right. Damn tester measures 1 ohm over.

Still, the margin of difference from coil to coil remains.... Since I used the same tester.

2 ohms primary and 9.5 secondary for the autozone coil... Not bad. The bosch is slightly anemic by comparison with 4 and 4.5 primary and 7k secondary! (If those are the real values)

Sometimes you just get lucky I guess!

-Frank
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

The real way to test any inductor is to run a small AC voltage through the primary and measure the secondary volts, then use ohm's law to calculate the rest. Since you put a voltage into the primary you can also measure current at the same time, aiding your calculations. By doing this it's possible to tell not only the turns ratio, but the exact resistance of each winding. Much more accurate than a simple ohmmeter.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Breaking news in the world of TFI and points replacement modules!

Just finished up a 16 hour graveyard shift in San Francisco. Trek the 52 miles home. Six miles from home I experience a complete loss of power (and from the feel of it it's an all too familiar apparent loss of spark) and coast off to the side of the freeway. Check that I have everything still connected, and crank. No spark. Bypass my TFI module (don't you love quick connect terminals?) And no spark. Dig the bosch points and condenser out of the trunk, yank out the Hot-Spark™ points replacement module. Bolt the points in, eyeball the gap, hook back up the TFI. Turn the 009 to about 14° static timing (that's where it sits with this known good set of points and this exact dizzy to put me at 30° total advance) and hop in. Started right back up. Mad

This hot spark set only had maybe 200 miles on it since new, and only about half of that was directly to the coil before I installed the TFI. Third set that has failed on this particular car alone! The first set was an actual pertronix 2. This settles it for me. I have always hated these things and have given them plenty of chances... From now on its hall effect, points, or VR.

I'll toss a resistor on here and leave the condenser intact for now, next time I'm at the VW place I'm going to grab another condenser to chop off just to use the leads into the dizzy and I'll run it straight out of the points into the TFI, unless there is some merit to leaving the condenser and resistor set up in there, this whole self cleaning arrangement is a bit interesting to me...

But for now, bed. I've been up for 28 hours.

Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

I just run an extra cable into the diztributor with a male connector. If I need to static time I switch to the condenser circuit. I would suppose it is easier to add the resistor though.

Yea this TFI setup is pretty neat as far as longevity/cost goes... Better than many of the electronic ignitions made specifically for us anyway.

About testing the coil more accurately... I'll have to find some time to mess with it.

-Frank
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

So, an update.

After talking so highly of the autozone coil, it started misfiring when it got hot.
Kind of nerve wrecking. Almosf felt like a loose rod , but it was uneven and not metallic. A misfire.

Changed back to a 4 year old blue coil... No more miss, but weaker spark, albeit more blue.

Hunt for a better coil continues.

-Frank
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Frank - I put this on my Super last year -

http://www.hot-spark.com/1-Beru-ZS-172.htm

It's what was on when I went on the road trip to Miami a year ago, never had a problem and still going strong. Price is good too.

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: