Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remember when?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
RW.. you had to go to the office to get the key on a hub cap to use the service station shitter..
That went for us that worked there too.. Laughing

I still had to do that recently on a road trip so they are still out there.
No hubcap, but a big long stick.

I'm more annoyed by the places that have to buzz you in.
If I have to go inside to tell you to buzz me just give me a key. Evil or Very Mad
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

I was a gas jockey at a Texaco service station in 1973. That was when you didn't have to step out of your car to get gas. After I started working there the manager put a lock on the restroom door requiring a dime to be inserted in the lock to open it. The purpose was to cut down on the number of non-customers. Customers could ask for the key to open the door. One day while I was pumping gas there was a loud explosion from the side of the station. Someone had put a cherry bomb in the toilet, cracking it and rendering it no longer usable. We never found out who did it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

RW senior high school pranks were just that, pranks? Now they have turned into criminal acts.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember Chip Foust and Boyd Covington? I wonder if the Shreff got that guy

Did Papun really Stingd hisself to dead?

My all time favorite was the night we found the article about Dereck "Raining ambient beats" from his treehouse and everyone here took over the comment section to that article. I laugh every time I think about when someone posted claiming to be Bill May "I'm so fucking sick and senial yada yada"

Man shit used to be HAPPENIN'......
DMNCLNR: i gave myself a boner

RIP HBB (1984-2009)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Speaking of those full service gas stations, in '78, someone loaned my mom their new VW Rabbit. That car felt like a slot car compared to everything else at the time. We stopped at a gas station to get some fuel & the attendant asked if she wanted him to check the oil. When he opened the hood, he turned around & shouted "hey Earl, this engine's in here sideways".

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
When he opened the hood, he turned around & shouted "hey Earl, this engine's in here sideways".

and... while down the street

"Hey Jim.. this damn Vdubbyas got its moter in the front turned sideways.... . "

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

russell wrote:

My all time favorite was the night we found the article about Dereck "Raining ambient beats" from his treehouse and everyone here took over the comment section to that article. I laugh every time I think about when someone posted claiming to be Bill May "I'm so fucking sick and senial yada yada"

Shut the fuck up, Russell.
Razz
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Where I live in Phoenix, you only see the neighbors when they pull into their driveway, open the garage door and pull in and then the door closes.

And even fewer of those neighbors this weekend, with highs of 116F (in the shade, but there is none).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
RW.. you had to go to the office to get the key on a hub cap to use the service station shitter.

Older still are my memories of unlocked (even overnight) service station bathrooms. No vandalism, no drunks/druggies sleeping in them.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Where I live in Phoenix, you only see the neighbors when they pull into their driveway, open the garage door and pull in and then the door closes.

And even fewer of those neighbors this weekend, with highs of 116F (in the shade, but there is none).

But, it's a "dry" heat, right? Laughing Can't wait for the monsoons to kick in as well...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

But, it's a "dry" heat, right? Laughing Can't wait for the monsoons to kick in as well...

A whole bunch of those heat sensitive Zonies are over-populating our beaches in San Diego. Of course it is hot here inland but that tends to pull in the damp air from the ocean. Result? Fog, aka the Marine Layer. That marine layer is keeping the first 1/2 mile from the beach overcast and cloudy. We wonder if all those Phoenecians are happy that it is 70 degrees and cloudy (vs 116 in AZ) or they are ticked because they have spent $4,500 for a week with little sun at the beach.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
russell wrote:

Shut the fuck up, Russell.
Razz
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I remember. Laughing

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

A whole bunch of those heat sensitive Zonies are over-populating our beaches in San Diego. Of course it is hot here inland but that tends to pull in the damp air from the ocean. Result? Fog, aka the Marine Layer. That marine layer is keeping the first 1/2 mile from the beach overcast and cloudy. We wonder if all those Phoenecians are happy that it is 70 degrees and cloudy (vs 116 in AZ) or they are ticked because they have spent $4,500 for a week with little sun at the beach.

That's funny Larry. Growing up in Escondido, I do remember it getting over 100* a few times during each summer. The parents house had no A/C nor ceiling fans.. I'm surprised I survived that cruel environment.. lol

You're right though. Once the triple digits set in here in the valley, folks start disappearing to SD or the AZ mountains to escape this heat..

Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

What about the haboobs? I hear those are fun as well.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

They are definitely interesting. You certainly don't want any house or car windows open! They can also reek havoc on the interstates when they cause poor visibility like the fog does in SD.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

All kinds of boobs are fun.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

I was just reading a Jalopnik article where the author was trying to figure out what car imoji cars were suppose to be----remember a time when most car icons were recognizable generic Beetle shape?
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember our new "1970 Vega GT / 4-speed" got better mpg than 90% of the cars today!

Couldn't keep tires / oil on / in it but, hey it got good gas mileage!

Sure wish I had the black Vega GT now-a-days, it'd have a 350 transplant!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This cougar used to be on the Mercury dealership in Raleigh NC, there used to be one in Winston Salem too (if i remember correctly), does anyone remember these at any other Mercury dealers? Or was this just a local phenomenon?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
Remember our new "1970 Vega GT / 4-speed" got better mpg than 90% of the cars today!

Couldn't keep tires / oil on / in it but, hey it got good gas mileage!

Sure wish I had the black Vega GT now-a-days, it'd have a 350 transplant!

I do recall beating the snot out of the family '72 Vega, 3 spd., going to concerts in '76-'77, not worried about leaving it in the parking lot unlocked...
That thing survived 3 teenage Boys, w/ a gear head Father ... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 43

Jump to: