Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remember when?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Tram wrote:

If it's "racially negative" you're really way way way ex post facto on that one.

There's a definite hypersensitivity to simian comparisons in the south, given the right circumstances, that could end a career. (& your avatar would only compound the issues.)

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Tram wrote:

Everybody called it "Monkey Ward's", including those of us who worked there no matter what color we were... Rolling Eyes

LOL, there's lots of terms that "everybody" used (including the "N" word) that are now taboo or unusable, keep using it & someone will eventually call you "racially insensitive" at the very least.

Ninja?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Nope, ninja's not necessarily the narrative now naturally known as a no-no in the new nation.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

As one who has worked for the Government and Fortune 500 companies most of my life I've seen the culture change from what is acceptable. Back in the old days if someone insulted you it was solved by fisticuffs and that was the final verdict. About 10 -15 years ago the personnel dept now called human resources hired an outside firm to educate everyone especially the frontline people that deal directly with the public. We were taken in small groups and indoctrinated into what was acceptable using various pretend situations. In one two co workers a man and women are shown talking to each other the man compliments the woman on her appearance and asks her out for a date. She says no, about a week goes by he asks her again and she refuses again. At this point the trainer asks us what is wrong with this situation. I immediately raised my hand and said I couldn't find anything wrong in fact I said the man demonstrated excellent problem solving skills,was focused and was the kind of go getter we needed. All my co workers loved this answer but the trainer was blubbering something about sexual harassment. I knew where he was going with it but it was funny as hell to play as a comedy. Sensitivity training I believe they call it, everyone is a potential victim ain't it great?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
As one who has worked for the Government and Fortune 500 companies most of my life I've seen the culture change from what is acceptable. Back in the old days if someone insulted you it was solved by fisticuffs and that was the final verdict. About 10 -15 years ago the personnel dept now called human resources hired an outside firm to educate everyone especially the frontline people that deal directly with the public. We were taken in small groups and indoctrinated into what was acceptable using various pretend situations. In one two co workers a man and women are shown talking to each other the man compliments the woman on her appearance and asks her out for a date. She says no, about a week goes by he asks her again and she refuses again. At this point the trainer asks us what is wrong with this situation. I immediately raised my hand and said I couldn't find anything wrong in fact I said the man demonstrated excellent problem solving skills,was focused and was the kind of go getter we needed. All my co workers loved this answer but the trainer was blubbering something about sexual harassment. I knew where he was going with it but it was funny as hell to play as a comedy. Sensitivity training I believe they call it, everyone is a potential victim ain't it great?

LOL, in the early 90s, my buddy's dad was working for IBM when they were starting the sexual harassment sensitivity training. He said his whole group was in a sensitivity course when one of the women asked for the forms, everyone got really nervous & quiet & when she looked the forms over, she said "no, these are the complaint forms, I want the request forms"

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

On a similar note...

Remember when an auto shop had a calendar with, pin ups, scantily clad ladies in bikini's... or.. in the buff... in the shop area..

Now.. in the waiting room or office.. yeah that IS distasteful and inappropriate..

Even in the shop at a toolbox.... is considered sexual harassment.. Rolling Eyes
Not really.. it's more jealousy from the gals in the that office cant stop wedging chocolate fried pies and Mountain Dew down their throats..

I have calendars made with my wife (and on my screen saver) ....pin up style.. nothing I wouldn't show her parents.. in my work area.
We had one officesaurus complain as she spotted it grazing through the shop one day .. ..
She shut her pie hole when she found out it was my wife.. ..management backed me up.. and management was a women..

Ugggg... One point for man... Arrrgggh Arrrgghhh Arrrggghh..

Had a kool parts women the other day spotted the pics.. .. thumbed through them, loved them.. and wanted to know who and where she could do that for her husband.

Just shows... it all depends..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue May 10, 2016 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
..management baked me up..

Let's hear it for those 420 smoke breaks with management!

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

"Monkey Wards" was common among my friends since early childhood. It was merely because pronouncing "Montgomery" was hard for toddlers. And don't get me started on "Worcestershire"!

There was no racial component to this at all.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Nah... never have or plan to touch the stuff... Think .. or the management..

Simply draggin' my knuckles across the keyboard misspelling as usual... . Laughing
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Nah... never have or plan to touch the stuff... Think .. or the management..

Simply draggin' my knuckles across the keyboard misspelling as usual... . Laughing

Sorry, I just had to take advantage of that.

Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
"Monkey Wards" was common among my friends since early childhood. It was merely because pronouncing "Montgomery" was hard for toddlers. And don't get me started on "Worcestershire"!

This is true in my experience also.

If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with what you described above as it's only 2 requests. Continued requests could be harassment.

Unfortunately some people consider that the first request should be the end of things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

No problem, there again, it was too easy. But it in this area, these days, someone would find offense in it. Coming soon to a PC course near you. The justice department just determined that "convict" & "felon" are too offensive now.

bt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Obviously, the reference to monkeys has been used against us for a long time(google Michelle Obama).

but every reference to a monkey does not mean you are using code words about black folks. I have heard it called that all my life and it was never taken that way.

I always find it interesting that the people who mostly complain about the phrase"political correctness" are people that are NOT on the business end of that sharp stick. Try this, everytime that phrase come up substitute it for the words "treat people with respect"
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

bt wrote:
I always find it interesting that the people who mostly complain about the phrase"political correctness" are people that are NOT on the business end of that sharp stick.
Try this, every time that phrase come up substitute it for the words "treat people with respect"

True...and it really is that simple.., Applause
Treat all.. how you'd like to be treated...
Usually and often edited
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Treat all.. how you'd like to be treated...

They should make this some kind of a rule.......... colour coded perhaps......
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
As one who has worked for the Government and Fortune 500 companies most of my life I've seen the culture change from what is acceptable. Back in the old days if someone insulted you it was solved by fisticuffs and that was the final verdict.

My experience with Government and Fortune 500 companies goes back to the '60s ('70s as an actual employee) and I can't recall a single incident of fisticuffs between employees, and certainly not any sanctioned by the company. Fighting was cause for immediate dismissal in the various state and local agencies, the AEC, GM, Lockheed, and even the college summer jobs I held over the years.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
...a man and women are shown talking to each other the man compliments the woman on her appearance and asks her out for a date. She says no, about a week goes by he asks her again and she refuses again...

I was taught that one's place of work wasn't the place to troll for women. Workplace romances are a really bad idea.

Women used to have to put up with a lot of crap at the workplace and perhaps the pendulum has now swung a bit too far. The fault lies mostly with the "manly men" who wouldn't take no for an answer.

As far as the "Monkey Wards" thing, imagine the situation not far into the future when folks with pale skin are a decided minority. Perhaps in this future "Wally" will become a pejorative for "white guy" and "Wallyworld will become a pejorative for the place where all those mid-American white guys buy stuff. The future of political correctness is rich with possibilities!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

One of my favorite non-insults incorrectly taken as an ethnic slight is the phrase "get off scot-free." Many have taken this as an insult to the Scottish, fueled by the old stereotype of them being cheap. However, "scot" is a Middle English term for "tax" and so it merely means getting off tax-free. Has nothing to do with Scotland!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Better find a new word to call your clutch slave cylinder. While you are at it you might as well find a new word for your master cylinder.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

I guess it's why the word "attractive and successful african american" has fallen out of favor. And, yes, look it up. Thanks---
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 43

Jump to: