Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remember when?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

18 months ago I bought a kitchen sink faucet at Home Depot. Glacier Bay made in China for $50 bucks.Yes, I know, but every thing they offered was made in China. So now it is dripping pretty good. Went back down to HD to get new seals. Didn't have them. Didn't have cartrages, stems or any replacement parts for GB. They had to order them for me. They told me they would be free for my inconvenience and would be delivered to my house in five days. This didn't happen, back to HD two more times to "fix" the order. If you ever tried to call someone at these stores you know why it is quicker to drive to take care of a problem. I live 3.6 miles always and including my purchase have driven almost 29 miles not to mention the time finding and standing there while figure out what is going on. Here it is almost four weeks after the first order and I still don't have the leak fixed. Part were promised here by Tomorrow. And to think ill get to do this all over again in another 18 months. Rolling Eyes This should have been a hour job including going to the local hardware store.

PS, I did go by my local hardware store and an Ace. Neither carried complete faucets or parts for the GB one I got at HD.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

^^^ Glacier Bay is a HD brand. You likely won't find parts anywhere else.

That said, I have an old GB sink faucet that has to be 17 years old now. It has always worked perfectly. Maybe the old stuff was better, or I just got lucky.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

"Captive" brands are the bane of big-box stores. If I'm buying something I can throw away later I'll take the risk, but if it's a durable item like faucets I buy Pfister or Moen.

The problem with big box stores is that they actually sold the good stuff for a reasonable price (probably at a loss) until they ran the local hardware stores out of business, then switched to cheaply-made crap that they have made in the third world. That's about as predatory as you can get.

RIP Newhall Hardware
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Much like Walmart has done to businesses in every small town they have opened a store in.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
RIP Newhall Hardware

X10! They found door and window hardware for my 1920-vintage house in Newhall, and always could find the little stuff the big boxes didn't carry. Always!

Opened in 1949... RIP, the last of the good ones in the valley.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

pisfister and moaning arent what they used to be either.
As far as remember when...it's getten hard to remember where mush less when. and every day seems to be another day when that guy in the time machine comes by and eff's with me hiding stuff.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Much like Walmart has done to businesses in every small town they have opened a store in.

Not here. Plenty of small stores left in this town of 8K, and county of 40K. WalMart is always busy, but the others still survive.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Then your town is a rarity, or the Walmart hasn't been there long enough. I watched a small town's main street go from a thriving business community to 80% vacancy inside of 8 months after a Walmart moved to the outskirts of town. Ironically, Ace hardware is one of the few surviving businesses.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Then your town is a rarity, or the Walmart hasn't been there long enough. I watched a small town's main street go from a thriving business community to 80% vacancy inside of 8 months after a Walmart moved to the outskirts of town. Ironically, Ace hardware is one of the few surviving businesses.

Walmart has been here for fifteen years or more, Home Depot soon after. It's a Super WalMart now, too. I guess we have enough folks around that actually give a shit about the community to keep shopping local.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

We sure miss our local hardware stores..
I can remember riding my bike 2 miles to get supplies..
I could juts put it on our families account "tab"
The smell was all its own..

KTPhil wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:
RIP Newhall Hardware

X10! They found door and window hardware for my 1920-vintage house in Newhall, and always could find the little stuff the big boxes didn't carry. Always!

A good resource for older and newer window and door parts and hardware items is
http://blainedistribution.com/products/

We started using Blaine for hard to find parts when our 2 hardware stores closed.. 20 years ago.
Still have some of the old catalogs..
The catalogs are still available and its always just a call to get what we need.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
We sure miss our local hardware stores..
I can remember riding my bike 2 miles to get supplies..
I could juts put it on our families account "tab"
The smell was all its own..

KTPhil wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:
RIP Newhall Hardware

A good resource for older and newer window and door parts and hardware items is
http://blainedistribution.com/products/

We started using Blaine for hard to find parts when our 2 hardware stores closed.. 20 years ago.
Still have some of the old catalogs..
The catalogs are still available and its always just a call to get what we need.

Thanks, but I don't live there anymore. Neat old house... built-in candlestick phone nook, ironing board, knob and tube wiring... The house was build for an oil worker at the oldest (1870s) commercial oil refinery in the state of California, for a company you may have heard of: California Star Oil Works Company, that later ended up being called Standard Oil Company of California, now known as Chevron.

I was looking for skeleton key locks and glass/crystal doorknobs, as well as some window sash weights. Sure enough, they had an old box full of brand new parts!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

but wallmart isant a hardware store Shocked ...hmm now that I think of it. our supperwallmart has been hear for 20+ years...and...now our mall have very few stores open..... they were gonna build a new walmart closer to me this comming year but some morons pisses and moaned it would hurt thier home values........thier homes are poop to start with...and...I think it was headed by publicks as there 1/2 mile down the road. I would love to have one closer than the 12 miles I have to drive every other day to get fresh produce....and check out the babes of wally world Rolling Eyes just kidden Im not there quite that often. but I do get all my oil there& food too. I went into windicksie yester day with the wife...the prices were 30% higher on everything I saw. Im not paying $2 more per gallon for dam milk, the same dam milk. and the meat....same dam thing way over on the same brand. how effing stupid.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Demolition derbies, with all the classics shooting up in value & the newer cars being all plastic, I doubt the younger generations will get to enjoy such mechanical destruction. I guess it'll be replaced by robot wars.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Demolition derbies, with all the classics shooting up in value & the newer cars being all plastic, I doubt the younger generations will get to enjoy such mechanical destruction. I guess it'll be replaced by robot wars.

I have a pair of tickets for the local demo derby tomorrow night. My daughter, now 12, has been going with me for the last decade. My wife even joins us occasionally.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

So I was sitting around thinking ......... Do you remember when guys had better things to do than complain about things? I guess it’s as old as time, they’ve always been commiserating about life. Case in point the movie
Grumpy old men and it was quite popular. Very Happy
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
So I was sitting around thinking ......... Do you remember when guys had better things to do than complain about things? I guess it’s as old as time, they’ve always been commiserating about life. Case in point the movie

Don't you have anything better to do than sit around complaining about us complainers? Confused
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Thank you that is a very good point. Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Of all the people to go back & dig this topic back up Think

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

This was a great topic.. I actually went back and reread it..

RW ..... this topic was fresh and new . Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
18 months ago I bought a kitchen sink faucet at Home Depot. Glacier Bay made in China for $50 bucks.Yes, I know, but every thing they offered was made in China. So now it is dripping pretty good. Went back down to HD to get new seals. Didn't have them. Didn't have cartrages, stems or any replacement parts for GB. They had to order them for me. They told me they would be free for my inconvenience and would be delivered to my house in five days. This didn't happen, back to HD two more times to "fix" the order. If you ever tried to call someone at these stores you know why it is quicker to drive to take care of a problem. I live 3.6 miles always and including my purchase have driven almost 29 miles not to mention the time finding and standing there while figure out what is going on. Here it is almost four weeks after the first order and I still don't have the leak fixed. Part were promised here by Tomorrow. And to think ill get to do this all over again in another 18 months. Rolling Eyes This should have been a hour job including going to the local hardware store.

PS, I did go by my local hardware store and an Ace. Neither carried complete faucets or parts for the GB one I got at HD.

Older post, but I'll respond.

I remodeled my bathroom 15 years ago, and used two faucet sets and one bathtub faucet set from Home Depot, Pegasus brand, lifetime warranty. What I do is E-mail them and get new faucet cartridges and sink stoppers IN ADVANCE, so I have them when mine start dripping !!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 42 of 43

Jump to: