Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remember when?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
I still have our old rotary phone in the attic

I have one in my basement and it is still hooked up and working Laughing

and those who feel tethered to their cell phones. It is your choice so quit whining Wink

Off topic story from the thread: A friends mother just passed away (Direct story from her daughter 2 years ago).

Her mother was very very old and lived by herself until she passed. She had been a widow for many years. Eons ago she had leased a rotary phone from the telephone company (Essentially she was renting the phone like you would lease a modem from Comcast). Come to find out when the daughter was getting her mothers estate in order: like 50 years later she had still been paying extra on her bill for the phone. I think it was something like $2-5 per/month.

I recall the phone company actually asked for the unit back when they cancelled service.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when you could buy a six pack of beer for what they want charge for a glass of soda at a restaurant now?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Eons ago she had leased a rotary phone from the telephone company

We used to have to do this too. I remember going down to the BC Tel store to pick out a new phone from the exciting new "pushbutton" models!
Now that I own my rotary phone my bill is only $15/m. Actually, I get a discount because the same provider takes five bucks off each service for multiple services, so it comes out to $10/m.
I'm not a total Luddite though — I have a fancy cordless phone in the office! Laughing

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when you could buy a decent steak dinner for what you'd spend for a combo meal at toxic hell now?

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when a bag of weed was what you got? Now it's hybrids, indo's and sativas.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when:

AMERICAN Pepsi's were sold everywhere in a REAL 16 oz glass bottle.. .. man.. those were the best.
(Sorry I refuse to buy the Mexipepsi glass bottle import)

I could safely collect soda bottles on the side of the road so I could cash them back in for the deposit to buy some more Pepsi. Laughing

I could ride my bicycle on a city sidewalk.

Firecrackers and Skyrockets were the toy ammunition and the local graveyard was the enemy military base.. I've won my share of night and day firecracker graveyard wars...

Egging your neighbors house was fun.. but cleaning it off wasn't... (still isn't)

The Soda Jerk at the Pharmacy knew you by your first name... and wasn't a Jerk.. and could make a hell of a Pepsi Float..

(For that matter). Confused
When there were Soda Jerks..

I could go to the real local hardware and "put it on our tab"

You HAD to use an antenna to receive a TV stations broadcast .
Some of us still do Wink

Having a CB radio was the thing to have.. 10-4

10-10 on the side ...for now. Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Playing in the graveyard, those were the days. I was in my twenties when I realized why my friends never wanted to sleep over at my house after playing all day in the 100 acre graveyard behind my house.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when you could play Cowboys & Indians... With BB guns? There was no arguing whether you missed or not.

Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Remember when a bag of weed was what you got? Now it's hybrids, indo's and sativas.

Yeah, but how much did you have to smoke back then to get high, and how much does it take now? Quality has increased more than 10-fold, but the price has remained fairly constant.
At least, in the land of BC Bud it has.
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when at 14 yrs old we hijacked the parents car on a Sat night while they were out playing cards. Run around all nite and put 50 cents of fuel to bring it back up where it was before we took it and make sure the mileage parked exactly on the same tenth when you snuck back home with it.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Remember when you could play Cowboys & Indians... With BB guns? There was no arguing whether you missed or not.
Remember when you could play Cowboys & Indians without offending anyone?

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

No doubt, it's when the Indians dressed up like Cowboys did it get real interesting.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
My 86 had 22r engine that's a bullet proof motor. Mine had 233 k when I sold it ran perfect used no oil.

My 22R is still running fine, but the carb is taking a shit. I am deciding on whether to spring $400 for the good Weber conversion. I just finally replaced the original radiator a month ago. Got an almost rust free long bed this fall for $150. Need to replace the front ball joints, and the leaf springs are sagging pretty bad. Not sure how far to go with this thing. I may just keep it running out of spite.

I have an '85 Nissan 720 (actually I bought it from Skim)
230K miles, doesnt leak doesnt use oil. The seats are getting pretty bad, but other than that, it starts right up even after sitting 2 months. Last summer I got my AC license specifically so I could legally buy R12. Filled her up, AC is colder than my 2011 Yukon

so yeah - there's that. Remember when you could buy R12 on the shelf for $2.99 a can?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:
I remember when kids were more afraid of their dads than the cops. And also when the cops would watch dad knock the kid around for being a dumbass being brought home by the cops.

Bill

Remember when the teachers could discipline the students (or worse yet the gym teacher or shop teacher) & then had to deal with mom when you got home & the dad when he got home?

I do remember that in fact the transition from jr high to high school ninth grade they assembled all the boys in the gymnasium where we met the coach. He then displayed a baseball bat which had been skillfully turned down and made into a paddle complete with lightning holes, just the sight of this impressed otherwise rowdy teenage boys. Then they introduced Mr. Davis a very large man that had played some football earlier in his career, he was the enforcer, the muscle and the person who would beat your ass with the custom baseball bat. Yes gents times have changed but in retrospect we didn't have any gangs, no guns, very minor problems like smoking cigarettes and skipping class. Of course there was a small group of non conformists the freaks who stayed to themselves in a haze of weed smoke , they caused no problems. Very innocent times it seems like compared to the animals that are loose now. Oh did I mention we walked to school up hill both ways.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

In 2' of snow.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Our shop teacher used a cricket bat with holes & grip tape on the strike zone.

notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
notchback wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

No doubt, it's when the Indians dressed up like Cowboys did it get real interesting.
Now you're bring back 1980's country music songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpMlZwJm29w&t=135s

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when you could buy an ACVW for $200 or less? Usually running just needing something stupid.

Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Remember when you could buy a six pack of beer for what they want charge for a glass of soda at a restaurant now?

Remember when you could buy an ACVW for $200 or less? Usually running just needing something stupid.

1. Yeah, except it was likely Schlitz or Brew 102.

2. I passed up a chance when I was in high school to get a running 356A coupe for $300. Wasn't rusted out either. The gas station mechanic (remember them?) claimed it had been hit "and would never be cherry." Seeing what rust bucket POS 356's are going for now... I also wish I hadn't wasted money on dirt bikes and ski boats back in the day and bought Speedsters and my uncle's 550 Spyder instead. Oh, well. Sad
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember When:

There was no interweb classified and you had to actually search and track down those sought after, rare and obscure parts.. and then pay accordingly..

Now its just a few keyboard strokes and it can be dropped off at your front door.
(Easy.. but not much fun)..

People didnt whine about the price of those sought after, rare and obscure parts.

The interweb has hurt the price of some.. helped the price of others.. and opened the world of parts to everyone and everything you want..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 43

Jump to: