Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Tesla is so far ahead of the wannabes engineers on this thread it’s absolutely comical. Full autonomous driving? Not yet

Substantially safer than you and me? Already proven

I love driving too, but I don’t kid myself that my pilot error rate will far exceed Teslas

Really? You consider yourself that bad of a driver?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Tesla is so far ahead of the wannabes engineers on this thread it’s absolutely comical.

perhaps boeing should ask tesla for advice...
meanwhile I'll enjoy the schadenfreude of tesla 'smart' summon

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
insanitize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

finster wrote:
which makes me wonder why autonomous trains aren't happening. is it just a case that the train drivers have strong unions? in the uk there were strikes when they tried to get rid of the guard, a man who blows a whistle to say all the doors are shut and it's ok to pull out of the station! so a victorian practice is kept going into the 21st century. other than objects on the line there isn't much else can go wrong as a train follows the tracks, unlike a car driving along a road - which first has to find the road...

In NYC we already have autonomous trains and have for a while. The Air train to JFK was opened in 2003 and they have been testing on the L line has also been testing them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Unlike trains, planes, & even long distance autonomous trucks (that are driven by a human once near congested areas.), these cars are having to share the roads with LOTS of other obstacles & not on their own dedicated right-of-way.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Tesla is so far ahead of the wannabes engineers on this thread it’s absolutely comical. Full autonomous driving? Not yet

I love driving too, but I don’t kid myself that my pilot error rate will far exceed Teslas

Id like to see the proof you have that automatic driven cars are substantionally safer.
4 decades of me driving without a single at fault accident means I am pretty safe at driving I think.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Id like to see the proof you have that automatic driven cars are substantionally safer.
4 decades of me driving without a single at fault accident means I am pretty safe at driving I think.

Anecdotal evidence is not considered statistically significant until it is a part of a much larger sample. Then the pollsters can make whatever they want out of the results.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

I am a horridly unsafe driver!

I'm a chronic speeder, I can't stand being behind a soccer-mom in a minivan, I accelerate, turn and brake at the limits of adhesion whenever possible. I strive for perfect heal/toe rev-match downshifts and scan as far ahead as I can see for traffic cops hiding in the bushes. A set of tires last me 1-year.

35-years - no at-fault accidents.

That blue car that passes you while you poke at your infotainment screen. It's me. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
On the other hand, I'd trust it for the bumper-thumper accidents you might get on long stop'n'go commutes, where your speed is never over 10-15mph. It sure would help me stay alert to not have to focus on the bumper in front of me, and instead look further ahead for developing situations. Then when traffic eases, use the carpool lane. If I had a 30 minute stop'n'go commute, I'd probably buy a stripped Model 3 and be very happy.

There is the problem, a sensor fails, gets confused and you long ago stopped paying attention to the bumper, or vehicle ahead of you, cause the tesla brain did that job you. Your tesla then rear ends a motorcycle, killing the rider, all cause the automatic braking feature lulled you into no longer paying attention to what's in front of you. I find it odd that you consider not paying attention the the bumper in front of you as making you more alert. To me that would be less alert.

You may have misunderstood me. I would only engage it in creep/stop'n'go where speeds are never high enough to cause an injury accident. I always hover/ride the brake pedal and would be ready to jab it to a jolting stop if needed. But the modulation (not too close, not close enough for another car to dive between us as asshole L.A. drivers always do) would be a real workload reduction and stress relief.

As for cycles, in those traffic cases, bikes are always lane-splitting and are never stopped between car bumpers.

Thankfully that is not my commute, but if it was, that self-regulating following distance would be both a safety and awareness aid I'd grab in a heartbeat.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:

I'm a chronic speeder, I can't stand being behind a soccer-mom in a minivan, I accelerate, turn and brake at the limits of adhesion whenever possible.

Pssh Rolling Eyes , it's only fun when you go past the limits of adhesion & leave the asphalt as much as possible.

If you want some real fun, dive in late, dump it down a gear or two, do a hard twitch of the wheel towards the apex, do a quick clutch kick & hammer down as you countersteer your way out of the turn.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Chad1376 wrote:

I'm a chronic speeder, I can't stand being behind a soccer-mom in a minivan, I accelerate, turn and brake at the limits of adhesion whenever possible.

Pssh Rolling Eyes , it's only fun when you go past the limits of adhesion & leave the asphalt as much as possible.

If you want some real fun, dive in late, dump it down a gear or two, do a hard twitch of the wheel towards the apex, do a quick clutch kick & hammer down as you countersteer your way out of the turn.

Now we're talkin' !! Razz

I know in dusty rallycross events, you can't even use an infra-red beam for the timing lights - gotta use an air hose to trigger the timer. So keeping it sorta on-topic. How well do the sensors on a self driving car "see" in dust and fog. Probably not so well Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

IMHO ...... self driving cars should probably be restricted to well maintained limited access highways.

There are way too many variables on nirmal surface roads for it to be successful.

Let it take over the daily commute or long fast trip.

Let people continue to pilot everything else.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:

35-years - no at-fault accidents.

How many non-at fault accidents?
Cause a good driver can avoid those too.
Like me.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Sounds like a topic for a new thread so this doesn't get derailed...

"How many car accidents have you had in your life?" or something similar.

That might be interesting, I'll start it
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
How well do the sensors on a self driving car "see" in dust and fog. Probably not so well Cool

not very well. volvo has had issues with BLIS, and SODL, SODR (BLIS = Blind Spot Information System SODL = Side Object Detection, Left SODR = Side Object Detection, Right)

there was a S/W package to desensitize the crash avoidance system because of "false alarms".....the "false alarms" were as follows:

DESCRIPTION: At temperatures below -15°C (5°F), the radar based BLIS may give false warnings for a short period of time at cold-start with the vehicle near stationary objects such as snow banks, guard rails, parked vehicles, etc..

PRODUCT MODIFICATION: Improved SODL/SODR software introduced in production and for service from 2018w48.
SERVICE: Upgrade SODL and SODR software

VOLVO STANDARD TIMES GUIDE (VSTG) INFO: Operation number 36004-2 - Software control module downloading

so the system is working...kind of.

I wish I could post PDF's here...the above is a cut and paste from Volvo Tech Journal. you guys would be amazed at what an ass ache this bullshit is...for service techs and customers.

the biggest problem is (in my opinion) Joe Consumer *thinks* these systems do all the work. they have no clue how they work, and assume all of the systems will save their poor driving habits.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

forget the self driving cars, looks like trained rats are going to get the job!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50167812

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Bloomberg just had a front page article on GM going all in on self driving electrics. Expecting to lose 100 Billion over 15 years in order to capture market share
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Well they lost my business for sure, I don't want either of those options so they are off to a predictable start.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Settle with the union first.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Bloomberg just had a front page article on GM going all in on self driving electrics. Expecting to lose 100 Billion over 15 years in order to capture market share

The self driving Corvette will be a blast to be a passenger in Rolling Eyes

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

Of course, the government will just step in again & give them our money. We only lost $11+ billion last time.

The government bailed GM out & the workers still aren’t satisfied that they still have a job, pensions, health care, insurance...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: