Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 California Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Well its likely you will need a new front anyway. Dont worry if nobody is commenting in your thread. People are watching your progress, and judging you LOL Laughing Wink
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
... Spark plugs came in yesterday so I'll gap them and put them in today along with relocating the fuel filter. ...

Handle your spark plugs only by the metal parts. Fingerprints or detritus on the porcelain can cause a short circuit and misfiring. The correct gap is found in the Bentley and new plugs are usually gapped correctly. Spark plug manufacturing often lacks quality control and sometimes plugs are bad out of the box. The same is true for condensers. Apply a bit of antisieze to the threads before installation. Never install plugs into a hot or warm engine. Start the plugs in the hole with your fingers without touching the porcelain. After they are started use a socket. Tighten until snug and then 1/4 turn more. Use new compression washers when reinstalling used plugs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Not to put down your work on this one (you have the right attitude!), but personally I would keep my eyes peeled for a more solid bus. In the meantime keep up the work on this one, you're learning a lot. Again, not trying to discourage you, just a thought. Smile

1966 Beetle

Last edited by Bala on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
69Weekender wrote:
... Spark plugs came in yesterday so I'll gap them and put them in today along with relocating the fuel filter. ...

The correct gap is found in the Bentley and new plugs are usually gapped correctly. [img]

I have seen Bentley and the VW owners manuals disagree over the years. Fascinating, too, because people on different forums on here will go to battle for what they think is right. Laughing As a general rule, cold starts are easier with a smaller plug gap, and VW endorsed this. The NGK plugs I installed recently came with a gap of .022," which is too small for me, personally. The Bosch "Super Duper Thread Stripper Made in Russia" plugs I installed last year came gapped at .028". Most of VW's sources list .024" to .028" as Kosher.

Beautiful picture, Tom, nothing like old positive film.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

[/quote]I have seen Bentley and the VW owners manuals disagree over the years. Fascinating, too, because people on different forums on here will go to battle for what they think is right. Laughing As a general rule, cold starts are easier with a smaller plug gap, and VW endorsed this. The NGK plugs I installed recently came with a gap of .022," which is too small for me, personally. The Bosch "Super Duper Thread Stripper Made in Russia" plugs I installed last year came gapped at .028". Most of VW's sources list .024" to .028" as Kosher.[/quote]

I gapped to .25 after browsing through a few different sources.

Quote:
but personally I would keep my eyes peeled for a more solid bus.

I knew this bus had rust when I bought it, i was expecting to fix things and patch things. I wanted to learn how to do everything to a car (bus).
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
... I gapped to .25 after browsing through a few different sources. ...

You should be good for 30,000 miles. They will wear to a wider gap. Did you replace the wires also?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

[/quote]
You should be good for 30,000 miles. They will wear to a wider gap. Did you replace the wires also?[/quote]

Sure did. See a couple posts up.
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Here's a link to another thread in which body work is going to be done.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7979085#7979085
Read up on the comments about welding equipment and consider getting your own, building your skills and marketing them. Make sure to wear the proper eye protection both in the prep work and in practice and construction.

Aloha
tp
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Who needs friends when you have bus parts!

Replaced the taillight gaskets. Old vs. new:

Painted the trim around the table to match the leg (I covered the Ron Jon sticker mark with a new Ron Jon sticker)

Taped off around the "windshield repair area" where my dad and I made the patch and shot white primer over it.

Last thing I did was repaint the wipers

Past:
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Well today was all about enjoying the ownership of my bus!
My dad and I went over the brakes yesterday and my pops trusts them enough for his only kid to drive around in!
Since I don't have a girlfriend, I decided to spend Valentine's day with my folks and go to a local car show. Linda had her first outing today and conquered it like a beast! Also took her to a drive on causeway beach to relax until sunset!
What a great day!

Put in the old carpet and the back seat just to make it a little more homey

Past:
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Very cool, glad you're enjoying the bus.

That seat/bed cleaned up real well, nice job.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Good for you man, I have had my bus for 2 years and haven't drivin it since I brought it home. The drive home was crap to since the throw out bearing was in pieces in the bell housing. I hope to have a solid camper this summer though!
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Yay for more parts!

Brought the bus to school on Tuesday, she turned heads lol Cool

What could beat the bond between man, automobile and dog!?

Goals:

Lol, just kidding (although I do have a set of the same wheels, polished and everything sitting in my garage).
Not my photo by the way, I took it off something that popped up on my Facebook page. If anyone knows the owner please mention his name. I like to give credit when it's due:)
Past:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

The look on this kids face is it. Love that bus and roll it how it is. The "repairs" made to it will assit him when hes on the second one. Surf wagon lives - even if you put a band aid on a turd Laughing Cool

My first resto had lots and lots of filler in it, because I was young, couldn't weld but could mix the shiz out of some filler Twisted Evil

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

notchboy - She will be put to use as a surf wagon this spring break and over the summer. All the "repairs" I have been doing are for the most part reversible....well the rivets and silicone are. I just don't have the funds for a welder right now because I haven't been able to work very much. Once I get a welder, I'll be doing real patches on the floor, rear window and rear quarters. I will 100% be leaving the windshield section to a professional.

General update/plan - I called a local air-cooled guy and asked if he would do ball joints for me (I have read through a couple DIYs and do not have the tools, knowledge or willpower to do that job lol). SO again, that will be left to a professional.
Past:
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Ok so I'm thinking of putting my Porsche 928 Seven Slots (16x7 et 65) on the bus. I know I'll need adapters but I need the offset of the stock steelies to compute the correct size.
Also, what tires would I need to get to prevent rubbing? Is that even possible to get the correct rating for a tire on a 16 inch wheel?
I am keeping the bus at stock height but want to change the look a little bit.

Any help would be appreciated.
Past:
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Glad to see you having fun with it...
will be watching the progress!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

I did something I will not regret this weekend....sound deadening!
Home Depot stuff called "USeal."
Here's the results, made a HUGE difference. Still have to do the driver door and debating on doing the rear cargo area.

Took apart, "rebuilt" and put back together the passenger door.

It was all rotted at the bottom so my dad and I did some reinforcing

Sound deadening

Home made vapor barrier using 2mm drop cloth

All put back together

Took Linda to Cars and Coffee on Saturday morning (once I get the film developed I'll scan and upload some pics). Bc of cars and coffee I put the table back in and covered the rear pad with 90s floral (dated 6/1991) that we found when we moved my grandmom. Adds a little groovy-ness to it I think. I'll make small pillows with the leftover fabric.

Past:
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
... I called a local air-cooled guy and asked if he would do ball joints for me (I have read through a couple DIYs and do not have the tools, knowledge or willpower to do that job lol). SO again, that will be left to a professional.

Ball joints are not that difficult with the right tools and you might just as well do the drag link and steering damper also. Buy quality parts and you'll never have to do the job again. You will need professional alignment after the replacements. My Goodyear dealer gives a second alignment free within one year. This should be done before the new wheels tires and spacers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19mm-Mercedes-BMW-VW-Ball-...mp;vxp=mtr
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003YVWHOE/...dition=new

Check other posts on TheSamba for recommended tools, parts, and techniques.

Aloha
tp
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Tom Powell - I do not have the tools to do so, I know I could get them but I'd rather have them done by someone who actually knows what they're doing. I ordered the Nakata (I think that's the name) ball joints which I have read good things about.
Still unsure about what size adapters I would need to run the Porsche wheels. I will also need different tires (I don't know what size to get for them either. 16 inch wheel).
Past:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: