Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 California Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba. You can get all the info you could need here. You've got a great attitude going into this and you're going to need it. Looks like a ton of bondo on that nose but that doesn't keep it from running. Laughing

Try to keep everyone interested with pictures. We love to see old Bus's rise from the dead and that bus got lucky because you sound like you're going to take good care of her.
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Wildthings - Wow that's a lot of information. So far the tires have been driving A-Okay. I'll keep my senses high though.
Tom Powell - I will look into it!

Wow, everyone on this site is so friendly and nice (so opposite of VWVortex). Thanks everyone for the support! I took pictures of the interior tonight with my phone just so you all can see it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seats definitely need to be redone up front!

Came with a big ole' box a parts.

My dads old radio sitting on the perfect table.

Z-bed with Mike's (the seller) grandmother's afghan (super cool!).

And the back mattress pad.
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

It looks like most of the interior is there so thats good. That closet probably came in natural with a clearcoat on it. I'm sure you could remove the black and redo it if you wanted. A hardwood floor in there would look good and some wood panels. Just some ideas.

If that were my bus I'd get it driving as well as possible and work on one area at a time. That way you can improve it while you drive it instead of having it stripped apart for a year+ minimum.
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
It looks like most of the interior is there so thats good. That closet probably came in natural with a clearcoat on it. I'm sure you could remove the black and redo it if you wanted. A hardwood floor in there would look good and some wood panels. Just some ideas.

If that were my bus I'd get it driving as well as possible and work on one area at a time. That way you can improve it while you drive it instead of having it stripped apart for a year+ minimum.

I am actually still debating on stripping the black and restaining. Going back to natural wood would make it more original but the black paint gives the bus a little bit more character (in my opinion). So I'll probably flip a coin about it.
The plan for right now is to take it to a Euro mechanic and have him look everything over (my dad is a GM guy and this is my first real project so we don't know what to look for). Once that happens we will prioritize the issues. Right now there is an oil leak from somewhere but I'll just keep an eye on the levels. Brakes and fixing the front clip are higher on the priority list. Until I can get a big chunk of time I will continue to do little things like clean the seats and hinges and misc. parts.
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
... Right now there is an oil leak from somewhere ...

If it's not leaking, it's out of oil.

VW's leak oil to mark their spot. Something like a dog pissing on a tree.

You can spot oil leak sources with dye and a UV flashlight.
http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-374CS-Engine-T...k+detector
http://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-53517-UV-True-Det...WWYTMFNHBY

The same items may be available at your local FLAPS.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Cool find! Your journey with your bus starts now! Have an awesome journey!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20

Last edited by DONGKG on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Tom Powell - Leaks just add character!
DONGKG - Can't wait to continue on the journey!
Past:
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Even though most of them do leak some and it is kind of funny and everything you should strive for a non leaky motor and trans.

Last edited by Pinetops on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Even though most of them do leak some and it is a kind of funny and everything you should strive for a non leaky motor and trans.

Oh, of course, I plan on taking Linda camping and on long road trips so leaks and soft spots will need to be addressed.
Past:
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Looks like a mix of Riviera and homegrown interior to me. Not a bad set up though! I'd be interested to see your M-Plate if you ever get a chance to post a picture.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Welcome to the samba! I'm also pretty new, but the people on this site are great! What are the overall plans for the bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
Looks like a mix of Riviera and homegrown interior to me. Not a bad set up though! I'd be interested to see your M-Plate if you ever get a chance to post a picture.

This is the plate behind the passenger seat. There is also one behind the driver seat that I do not have a picture of.
Past:
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Welcome to the samba! I'm also pretty new, but the people on this site are great! What are the overall plans for the bus?

I am trying to bring the bus back to a clean original state. I need to patch and replace a ton of holes and panels. The interior will just be cleaned and gussied up. All the interior wood will be removed and either repaired or replaced. I would like to lay down some Dynamat or similar product. The brakes will be either redone or replaced with discs. The engine runs and drives all day long but could probably use a good tune up. I will be checking all the lines and fluids. Along the way, I will just be doing little changes to "class up the joint."
I will be using this bus for what it was intended for (camping) so it will never be a "mint" freshly painted bus. I just want her to be a reliable (HA!) and fun driver.
Past:
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

The other plate will give you a lot more info. on your bus. Smile

1966 Beetle
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Bala wrote:

I see possible remnants of a headliner so it could be a homespun camper conversion. I believe some campers were converted using buses with factory headliners though.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Bala wrote:

I see possible remnants of a headliner so it could be a homespun camper conversion. I believe some campers were converted using buses with factory headliners though.

Those look like Westy jalousie windows. Most homegrown converters didn't seem to go to the extent of installing those, but hey you never know!

On a side note, seeing the younger generation excited and enthusiastic about these old dubs always makes me happy! Very Happy Very Happy

1966 Beetle
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

I don't know, I've seen a lot of home made campers with Westy louvered windows. I've done it before myself. Not trying to argue about something that doesn't matter, just from what I've seen. Someone may have just glued something up in his bus that looks like glue from a headliner though, it's hard to say without more pics.

One thing is for certain, this bus has been around the block and back!

I agree about young people getting a passion for buses! I don't think the bus will ever go out of demand/style though. At least not unless it becomes very difficult to buy gasoline. If they do go out of style, that'll just mean we can buy them cheaper. Cool
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
The other plate will give you a lot more info. on your bus. Smile

Past:
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php

Looks like a fun bus, enjoy, they are fun to work on, and remember to drive it and go camping!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Here you go.
Volkswagen Type 2 Bus M-Plate Decoder

Decode Results:
Production Date: September 26, 1968
Exported To: USA, San Francisco
Designation: Kombi
Engine KW (BHP): 35 (47)
Transmission Type: manual
Engine: 157
Transmission Code: -
Extras Code: -
Paint / Interior
Paint Scheme: Lotus White
Paint Codes: L282
Paint Notes:
Interior Scheme: dark beige
Interior Material: leatherette
Interior Notes:
Options
508: With vent wings in passenger compart. opposite sliding door [F -- 211 2300 000] / With vent wing in sliding door and in all windows in the opposite side of panel [F 212 2000 001 -- 217 2300 000] / Sliding window in the sliding doorand in opposite side panel [F 218 2000 001 --] / Sliding window in the side panel opposite the sliding door [F 218 2000 001 --] / With vent wing in the double cab door and in the opposite side panel [F 212 2000 001 --]
426: Specifications for the USA M020, M047, M102, sealed beem headlamps... (?)
013: Front bench seat and rear seat in passenger compartment.
042: Tires approved by research and development department and free from import duty and costs
507: Vent wings in cab doors
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: