Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Baja build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Yea I got the stock length beam! Read over every rule and regulation for Baja and am strictly following it. I got the conversion beam with 10" shock towers and it is with adjusters. I got it from Bugzylla and it will be available next week. And the cylinders are being bored to 1600 sizes for the race requirements they were previously 1500 sized which is thinner wall, but these cylinders are backup only. If I for some reason blow one or break one I will have extras to replace them. Now for another question, I've heard you can take 67 drums and put them on to a 69 beam, but I now have a link pin beam, things are getting tricky. When I order parts do I order all parts for link pin? I'm putting drums on the front and disk on the back so I can lock up the rear wheels easier.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

BryceSegatto wrote:
Yea I got the stock length beam! Read over every rule and regulation for Baja and am strictly following it. I got the conversion beam with 10" shock towers and it is with adjusters. I got it from Bugzylla and it will be available next week.

OK. I'm glad that is getting through.

Keep in mind that in the restricted 5-1600 class, the concept is that if the rules do not SPECIFICALLY ALLOW a modification, it is NOT allowed.

Now for putting together the front suspension, you will need torsion leaves for a link pin. Many racers use stock link pin leaves with the outer narrow leaves replaced with full width leaves. Some use aftermarket 20% stiffer torsion leaves. You could also use the stiffer leaves in one tube, and stock ones in the other tube.

Then you need linkpin trailing arms. You can use stock arms, or you can use fabricated arms that are stock length and width. Tweeds, Latest Rage Forged, Wright, Fodrill, or Woods. The last 2 brands can be very expensive.

Then spindles. You can use stock spindles with gussets added and the speedometer cable hole in the left spindle filled as described in Jeff Hibbard's Bajas Bugs and Buggies book. Or you can step up to "Combo Link" spindles, that are much stronger. Options here are Tweeds, Latest Rage Forged, or again...Wright, Fodrill or Woods. But lifted spindles are NOT allowed.

So your brakes will need to fit the spindles that you decide to use. Most Combo Link spindles use ball joint backing plates and shoes, but link pin drums, with special wheel bearings and seals you get from offroad supply houses, not from an auto parts store. With disc rear brakes, just use the stock wheel cylinders for whichever drum brakes you are using. I use stock link pin front brake hoses with my 10.25" travel stock width beam/stock arms/stock brakes. But I've moved the brake hose mounting tabs outboard.

Steering is the next issue on the list. You can start off with a stock steering box with some beef up tricks. Racers in the class had to use that for decades. But rack & pinion have been allowed for a long time, and for the last 10 years or so, power steering has been an option. That could be hydraulic or electric. Heavy duty tie rods will be needed. Common is 1" OD 4130 or aluminum with International tie rod ends at the rack, and some use Ford ends at the spindles.

BryceSegatto wrote:
And the cylinders are being bored to 1600 sizes for the race requirements they were previously 1500 sized which is thinner wall, but these cylinders are backup only. If I for some reason blow one or break one I will have extras to replace them.

I hope you are aware that boring the cylinders to 85.5 mm means that the 83mm pistons can not be used in them anymore. Pistons and cylinders are sold in sets with rings.

BryceSegatto wrote:
Now for another question, I've heard you can take 67 drums and put them on to a 69 beam, but I now have a link pin beam, things are getting tricky. When I order parts do I order all parts for link pin? I'm putting drums on the front and disk on the back so I can lock up the rear wheels easier.

Yes, you can put 5-lug ball joint drums on 4-lug ball joint spindles to convert the front to 5-lug. But now that you are installing a conversion beam to use link pin arms and spindles, the above info is meaningless to you. So now EVERYTHING for the front suspension other than the beam itself, is for linkpin. (note the exception listed above on using ball joint backing plates, wheel cylinders and shoes with combo link spindles). You will need to ask Daryll which trailing arm bushings to install in his conversion beam.

Regarding the brake bias, it's best if on dirt, the 4 wheels all lock up at the same time. But if they don't quite achieve that ideal, it's better if the rears lock 1st. When building an offroad race car, don't worry too much how the brakes work on pavement.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

decided to go buy the 1600 85.44 mm Pistons and cylinders. I also got a used exhaust and a brake master cylinder. The engine build went smoothly and am excited to put it fully together and start it!
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

PAINT: Laughing
Been thinking about it and I need to paint the bug here pretty soon...its down to bare metal as all of you know and I'm thinking I'm going to paint it a white. Want a really cheap paint, but not so cheap that it flakes. Maybe a rust oleum that is cheap but rated 3-4 stars. You guys get the picture. Don't want the bug to start holding the build back because I'm scared to mount parts because I will need to take them off anyway to paint. Any ideas, links, referrals? Not a painter, but I have a good paint gun and compressor. Don't know how big the tip to my gun is I'll have to check...I could use a paint lesson, not sure what pressure to use, paint tip, how to mix ect. I've done my research on how to paint as far as technique goes, but the prep of the paint scares me! I think this weekend I'm going to pull the bug out of the garage and give the garage a good clean, I'll also prep the bug for paint. Later in the week I'll go buy some paint that hopefully someone on her recommends and paint the bug so I can continue the build.

WHEELS: Laughing
What do you guys reccomend on wheel setup? I know I want/need 5 lug wheels, but currently have 4 lug on the back. When the link pin beam comes in I will need lots of help on what to buy so I can do it the right way! I want 5 lug all round with drum brakes up front and disk in the back.

TRANSMISSION: Laughing
Starting to keep my eye out for a 5 rib tranny that I can pick up. I will get it rebuilt, but am not very knowledgeable about the rear end. What CV's will I need ect.

REAR END: Laughing
What should I start looking at replacing in the rear end? If I get the bus transaxle and send it off to get rebuilt what parts will I need to mount up to it? Also I know I need a beef up kit for the rear trailing arms, but I don't know what wheels to get and I don't want to be in trouble in Baja Mexico at tech inspection because my rear end is 1" wider than aloud. Saw steel wheels on dans performance parts, but would I need to decide the wheels now so I can order the appropriate rear end parts. Also spring plates tortion bars and CV's would I need to get all of those new or are some of those parts fine just keeping on the bug. Kind of lost on the rear end, help is appreciated! Maybe a list of things that should/need to be bought new from most important-least important.

SHOCKS: Laughing
Been looking at the bilstein 7100 remote reservoir shocks. Think I spelt that right...the owners of the company say the 7100 series is mad for the Baja bugs in the Baja 1000. If that's true and you guys think it would be a good idea I have heard good reviews and think I will buy those shocks instead of fox and King. Yeah fox and King are "so amazing" but the 7100's have good reviews and have been race tested in the Baja 1000 by bugs and only cost $200 a shock!!!! Waaaaaay cheaper than fox. The only bad thing I notice is they are 2.0 and don't go bigger. I'll be running 2 in the back anyway and to pick up the slack in the front I'll probably get off-road leaf springs so the suspension will be stiffer. Any thoughts?

QUESTIONS: Laughing
is it bad that I haven't split the body from the pan? Most racers have done it, but my pan is in good shape except for one hole where the battery tray is, but they sell new battery tray sheet metal which I think I might buy.

UPDATE: Laughing
Got the engine all ready to mount, then I found out I don't have the clutch alignment tool....getting one tomorrow and the engine will be ready. I went and bought a new distributor and wiring for a push button start. Going to go buy sheet metal to fix the bug hole in the luggage compartment then paint the metal around the engine with high heat textured truck bed liner. It's rubberized spray and leaves a cool tough texture. I'll mount the engine then be ready for paint next week. The front beam should be here this week. After the front and rear end are done I am getting the cage constructed. My girlfriends dad has access to a tube bender and a tig welder and he has been in construction,trucking,welding ect. ect. So we may build the cage by ourselves, just buy the chromolly tubing and go to work! Builds going along smoothly! Updates to come!

HOW TO HELP: Laughing
If you would like to help with the build or donate email me [email protected] all help is appreciated and I can't wait to get to Baja!

IMPORTANT: Laughing
I'm sure everyone has heard the sob stories, but read through this! I set up a website and you can also check the site out to view some news on the build. I'll post a link at the end. In the website you'll see links to my YouTube videos (only made 1 so far) I'm basically talking about what the build means for me and what my plans are. ALSO I will post a link on here, there is one on my website and on the YouTube page, I set up a go find me account. IM NOT BEGGING!!!! Let's make this very clear, if you don't want to donate you don't have to. The input is enough and I'm very grateful for what I have gotten from everyone. Just remember I'm 17 funding this and building this on MY OWN! Learning comes with the project. All funds will go to the bug and if you donate and want me to add a "sponsor" like sticker to the bug email me how much you donated and about your business!!!!

Go Fund Me: https://www.gofundme.com/s2pdgkfg
E-mail: [email protected]
YouTube: http://youtu.be/i1GR6xxhgfI
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Bryce I've been using rustoleum paint for the interior and under hood so far, with results that I'm happy with. I'm sure a professional painter would either laugh or just shake their head.

I've never used a spray gun before. I went to HF and bought the "professional spray gun kit" it comes with a 1.4 and 1.8 tip. 1.8 for primer and 1.4 for paint.

I then mixed the paint with a formula of 8/4/1, 8 parts paint, 4 parts thinner (off the shelf HD thinner) and 1 part hardener (tractor supply) the second coat I switched to 8/3/1 as I got some runs, probably could have fixed that with spray gun adjustment, but I don't know what I'm doing with adjustments. I used 30psi for air.

A quart of rustoleum is $8, thinner is $4, hardener is $16.

My first shot at painting body panel

BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Quote:
my first shot at painting body panel

Damn looks pretty good! Definitely helped with what I needed paint wise! Not too worried about runs if they happen, the paint will get scratched anyway! Looks like I'll be painting here pretty soon. Next week will be fun with all the updates. Lots of fun coming.

Checkout my website www.bjsracing.wordpress.com
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Go Fund Me?

Really?

The idea that handouts and freebies are everywhere is very disappointing. I was really excited to see a young man learning new skills, but seeking handouts is like a trash eating bear.

Please accept this rebuke as an opportunity to examine whether or not you want to earn a buggy or have someone else get credit.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Go Fund Me?

Really?

The idea that handouts and freebies are everywhere is very disappointing. I was really excited to see a young man learning new skills, but seeking handouts is like a trash eating bear.

Please accept this rebuke as an opportunity to examine whether or not you want to earn a buggy or have someone else get credit.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

If you don't like the idea of a go find me account I'm sorry, but when it gets closer to race time, tires and shocks cost a pretty penny. That is the only reason I set the account up. I'm not begging, I don't care if I get $0.00 if I get $50.00 cool that will cover the oil for the race. If you don't like it just don't donate! Wink
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

On a more positive note... I got the engine in today!

I had a little trouble starting it today. Wouldn't fire... I'm using a brand new "flame thrower" ignition coil. The battery needs to be replaced is what I think the reasoning is. Next week I'm going to try and get her fired up. Called bugZyla and they said the front beam is done tomorrow! Pretty excited about that. Once I get the front beam I'm going to take a break until next week cause I will be visiting family due to my birthday! After my birthday I'll try and get the engine running and order all the parts for the front axle. After that I'm buying stuff for the rims, trailing arms, tortion bars ect. Once I do that I'll be on the home stretch with the roll cage and interior
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Looking good Bryce ! Seems rare these days that a young man/teen is building his own car. Seems like most are playing video games or worse.

Happy Birthday, keep working on the Baja !
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

BryceSegatto wrote:
If you don't like the idea of a go find me account I'm sorry, but when it gets closer to race time, tires and shocks cost a pretty penny. That is the only reason I set the account up. I'm not begging, I don't care if I get $0.00 if I get $50.00 cool that will cover the oil for the race. If you don't like it just don't donate! Wink

Actually this is the exact definition of begging.

Beg: ask for something, typically food or money, as charity or a gift.
example "a young woman was begging in the street"
synonyms: panhandle, ask for money, seek charity, seek alms
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Alright you got me I'm "begging" who cares how I build my car? If you have a problem just stay off of this thread. Don't know what your trying to get at by proving me wrong Laughing
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Outatime wrote:
Looking good Bryce ! Seems rare these days that a young man/teen is building his own car. Seems like most are playing video games or worse.

Happy Birthday, keep working on the Baja !

Thank you! Love the support!
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Started the bug guys! The timing was off so I fixed it and it started first try! I'm getting the front axle today. If you want to see the bug start look at my new YouTube video! http://youtu.be/ratBGkF2C-g
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Congrats ! It's a good feeling or maybe just relief, when something we spend a great deal of time and money comes to life.

Post up some pics of the front beam when you pick it up.
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Outatime wrote:
Congrats ! It's a good feeling or maybe just relief, when something we spend a great deal of time and money comes to life.

Post up some pics of the front beam when you pick it up.

Agreed! Got a few things to do to tune it up, but for the most part it's done! I'll post a bunch of pictures tonight. Thanks for the support everyone!
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Got the front beam. Looks pretty good. It's the conversion beam that is sold from www.bugZyla.com all the metal seems to be pretty heavy duty and the shock tower mounting points look and seem to be strong. Hardware (nuts/bolts) are strong, doesn't say what grade, but these can always be replaced if need be. Thanks much for Derryl getting the order and building it in less than a week. Can't say I recommend it quite yet because I haven't used it. Once I get it on the trails I'll write another review!
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Just made a review for the conversion ball joint--link pin conversion beam check the video out! http://youtu.be/DxfeKLbxfts

Also can anyone help me with a problem? I've had the battery off the car charging and I un hooked the wires from the coil while it was charging. It charged all day then when I came back I went to start the motor, but first I connected the wires to the coil and I fried a distributor (green wire). It was working fine until I did this. I then put another distributor on and I took the power wire off and cranked the engine over a few times. I put the power wire back on and the distributor wire didn't burn, but now the engine won't start. Any help? Below is my current electrical setup./ wiring diagram

Go Fund Me: https://www.gofundme.com/s2pdgkfg
E-mail: [email protected]
YouTube: http://youtu.be/i1GR6xxhgfI

Last edited by BryceSegatto on Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: