Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WolfsburgWest Panels Received
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Good metal is hard to find on the east coast. I live in Nova Scotia and everything is rusted to death here. My 58 bug deal is gone as the seller screwed me over but looking at a 68 now. Looks like lots of rust repair is in my future as well.

Over lapping does work and can be much stronger for sure but I have always had problems with moisture decay between the pieces. Even treat with zink primer and welded all the way around on both sides. Never know it rusting till it has become a larger problem then I wanted. This is only my experience though. We all do the best we can from it.

Again good looking work. Looking forward to seeing the completed project.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Well...headed back in the "Backyard Mechanics" garage to start again on the VW wheel wells Very Happy ...."Passenger Side". Let me say for those of you "New" to my post....this Bug had previous repairs and as I go further I keep running into more "bad" metal and repairs Sad . Also: This is truly a "Backyard Project"...No laid out garage, no lifts, no CND machine Confused .....hand tools.....cheap A$$ Mig Welder for small project Rolling Eyes ....some electric cutters, grinders etc.. So before you look and say...."Here's how it should be done" Shocked ...remember, I'm old school.....duct tape and wire type "Get her on the road" type of gear head...but honestly....both these rear wheel wells were replaced with "All Metal" panels....the only "Putty" you see is the USA Steel filler which covered the mig weld areas......then a good coating of primer (next pics) and a nice spray of undercoating to protect....Again...not a "Show - Points Car", a "Driver" ....."Solid".....so enjoy the pics and future pics....comments always welcomed Cool .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Had a few comments....you know..."Here's what you need or should do" and appreciate them all....any "tips" always help Laughing ......but I want to emphasize one more time....I'm your (maybe typical) "East Coast" backyard gear head Shocked ....you know, love mechanics as a "like" - "hobby" but not a career...grew up "fixing $hit" rather than "buying new"....learned from "trial and error".....my back work shop (garage) is not only a "work area" but also shares the space with all the yard equipment (lawnmowers - tools), outside furniture when the Winter hits....Motorcycle and mini bikes and whatever else you don't want in the front garage.....then remember we have the heat it in the Winter which often last until April or May....so: here's a few pics of the work area....try working on a "Bug" when you're limited in space. Not complaining at all....just sharing the pics based on the fact that I'm sure many of you are in the "same boat"......matter of fact....at one time I even had a "boat" back there....enjoy.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Good for you, man! I think your doing a great job with it. Cool

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Thanks......doin what I can with limited facility an "old school" talent.......just added a little more putty to the weld areas just to smooth it out but not real concern with the wheel wells being flawless......going to spray some undercoating over the completed work just for some more protection....and put the wheels back on. I just wanted to get "new" metal back on both of them; especially the rear bumper mount section and the shock towers....using the lights to quicken the dry......you know when you work when you can......cold or wet weather......you always try to help out the process.....should be good to go soon.

itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Flyboy......went and looked at your profile and see you are an aircraft mechanic....I'm a safety and health consultant and one of my clients is a local FBO....also I took flying lessons some time back but never got my license...but have a love for aircrafts and going up....we share some similar interest....
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Yes sir we sure do. I have a '58 that I'm using some of the same techniques as you for repairing one hole. I'm sure your repairs will hold up for years to come with proper care and feeding, hahaha. I don't so much do the mechanical side of the house anymore; I supervise a crew of all skills on heavy modification of C-17's now. But in m day I've done just about all there is to do on these planes. From electrical, flight controls, hydraulics, structural repair and even flew on them for a few years as a flight engineer. Just keep doing what you kno best.

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

OK., I got the "new" metal (panels - Shock Tower area and Rear Bumper mount area) mig - tacked in, clean them up and put a nice "undercoating" over them. Both driver and passenger sides done. The upper "fender mount" area(s) will be cleaned up a little better, primered now will be left alone. Have to work on both the front and rear fenders now before they get re-mounted (minor cleaning up) and also going to re-finish the rear "interior" seat section .....where I cut out the rear wheel wells left some needed repairs; rear apron was also cleaned up. Again, this not a "body off" restoration and not a "show quality" repair....just wanted to get some "new" - "solid" metal where it was needed. Want to get her back on the road before the (Ohio) summer is over, see how she goes and if she works out well.....maybe.....maybe do some more (where needed) body work next winter. Calling it quits for today....rain storms moving in and I have to have that back garage door open....hope these post helps someone out as to what you can consider if doing a similar project and what "not to" or what "to do". Take care until my next post. Laughing

itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Well; the rear wheel wells (replacement panels) are complete. Now I'm going to build up (repair-add some sheet metal) to the inside of the rear seat section. After cutting out those inner wheel wells I left some cavities that need filled. The Floor Pans actually look fairly solid (past replacement - not my work) so I simply brushed off the surface rust vacuumed it up and put a nice coat of POR over it (rusted but solid areas) . Other weak areas will be patched up (sheet metal) and then a nice over coat of USC All Metal filler...I like how it spreads and the fact it actually has metal fillings in it seems good. One think I'm doing; when I cut the original metal out of the rear wells, I had some fairly large "original metal" solid pieces. I have been using them for "patch metal", that way this Bug has the "original" metal even on some patches. Until my next post - back to work.

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

looks like I'm not the only " OLD GUY " playing Volkswagens in the yard Very Happy Very Happy

Metal work is such a pain ; but also a great sense of accomplishment .
Nice work Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Hats off to you, sir! Looking good

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

I've been a "Practicing Body Shop" guy for years Laughing ....one day I'm going to get good at it Shocked . Often when I patch an area....I'm glad no one is around to see how it was done Embarassed ....but..........she'll be sturdy and ready for the road in a few weeks.........I hope Sad .
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

itjustbugsme2 wrote:
comments always welcomed

First time reading through your post and the only comment I have is....is it really "necessary" to put "quotes" around "every other" word in your "posts"? I don't know why but it's making me "crazy" and making it a "pain in the ass" to "read." Otherwise..."looks great". Very Happy
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

"LOL".. Laughing ...."Sorry"....."OK"......"No more Quotes".....but really.....if you think about it......you probably was a "Little" crazy Shocked way before reading my "Quotes"...but ok....NO MORE Very Happy
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Looks like you have done nice job making those less than perfect panels fit.

One bit if advice though. Primer will not protect from rust for very long. Moisture can go right through it. Undercoating also doesn't provide as much protection as you think. It can retain moisture or allow it to get through tiny imperfections in the coating. You really should put a coat of paint over the primer to prevent future rust issues before undercoating it.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

No doubt. The primer is simply a temporary coating. Once all the patch work is done, primer, filler applied.....I'll go ahead and put a nice coat of paint over her. For the inside, I'll probably simply use a nice flat or mat rust-oleum finish...you won't see that area once the interior is put back in and I believe the rust-oleum will provide a fairly good protection. Hey....."No Quotes"...oooops, sorry Sad
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

I was referring to the wheel wells where you put the undercoating directly over the primer.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Oh, I agree...........well, we'll see how she holds up and possibly down the road I'll scrape that undercoating off and put a good coat of protection on the area....but I do agree with the moisture being trapped.

Hey, anybody reading this post: I went in the back garage and was going to start repairing some rust on my fenders...they're repairable but I'd like to find some better replacement fenders if I could. I know I can order replacements, right at around $200.00 (add shipping) a piece; but wondering if anybody has a set, front or rear they are selling. Any leads appreciated.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

itjustbugsme2 wrote:
Hey, anybody reading this post: I went in the back garage and was going to start repairing some rust on my fenders...they're repairable but I'd like to find some better replacement fenders if I could. I know I can order replacements, right at around $200.00 (add shipping) a piece; but wondering if anybody has a set, front or rear they are selling. Any leads appreciated.

If you can't find anything in the classifieds or a local club, there's a big show coming up the second weekend in August in Pataskala, OH. COVVC Volksfest has a great swapmeet every year so you can probably pick up a good set then if you aren't in a terrible rush. Also great camping that weekend just a few miles down the road in Mt. Vernon at The Dixie Bus Gathering. I'm there every year, one of the best campouts goin!
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: