Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throw out bearing off center - does this look right?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawnrogan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

All...yet another plea for some help...motor out and tranny mounts all replaced...preparing to get the motor back in but just taking a look at the throw out bearing around the drive shaft...it seems off-center to move and wonder if this looks right to you all? will it center itself when everything mounts up?

Again...just bought this '65 and peeling 1 onion layer at a time finding all those little annoying things broken, not right, done half-ass, etc. etc..

The help I have received here has been valuable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

Your picture looks to have been taken a little off center, so, hard to say.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

Hard to tell, but it looks like the cross shaft may have moved to the left. Check to make sure that the C-clip on the left of the shaft is in its groove. If it is, it should be fine.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

looks like pic to me but..if it aint the pic.. center it.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

Get it centered, if it isn't centered you wil be sad in a couple hundred miles. It will start squealing. Ask me how I know. I would replace the whole throw out arm.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

Wondering if you could grind one side, and shim the opposite side to move it over...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

One good sign, the tranny bottom is clean and dry, unless you cleaned it out for the photo. If you didn't, I would say run it. It's even been safety wired.

Something you could check, have someone push the clutch pedal in. The TOB should move out on the input shaft, but still be centered left to right.

Last edited by Howard 111 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

Even if it was centered, I would be surprised if those rinky dink welds held up for any extended period of time. Its very much likely that the shaft wasn't seated all the way in the jig used to assemble/weld that part. I'd replace it.. or rework it.. whichever costs less to you.
toolman_202
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

When I did one a few years back the arm the it hangs on moved from side to side. If it worked before it will go back and work again
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

you could put the new updated shaft&bearing&centering collor on it.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

Look at the shiny part on the end of the input shaft compared to the TOB. It would be centered. I think the photo is creating an illusion.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

I fitted an arm that was offset a bit, tried to align it, no go, so I just drove it, it tore up the throw out bearing within a few thousand miles, if its not aligned get it there.

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
shawnrogan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

So....I have been posting the many wonderful things I have found wrong and Mickey Moused with this '65 Beetle we just bought...the answer to the throw out bearing off-center was....drum roll please....a broken spring which pulled the arm off center....so now getting that whole set-up redone....

The spring was broken yet continued to do its job...gotta love the resilience of Bugs!

Set for Bug surgery:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing off center - does this look right? Reply with quote

You're going to want a bigger hammer Laughing .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: