Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone dealt with user name thostis???
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrocks1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

This user has been messaging me about buying a lot of fenders. Wants to pay by check instead of cash. Says he will have a driver pickup all fenders from me. Is this guy a scam? Any other users encounter same individual?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

There is a seller/buyer feedback forum here.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596207&highlight=thostis

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

You are the seller so you control what kind of payment you will accept: cash; check; electronic payments; USPS money order; cashier's check.

You need to decide what risk you are willing to take since some have risks involved.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

Why check when he appears to be in Thailand?

I looked at the recent messages he's sent to others and they all look legit to me and not like a scammer but every single one says he can pay by Paypal
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

Check fraud is on the rise. If a buyer insists on sending a check, you insist that it is a cashier's check (and verify with the bank that it is legit when you receive it). Like 74 thing says, you are the seller ... you define the acceptable forms of payment for the transaction.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
Check fraud is on the rise. If a buyer insists on sending a check, you insist that it is a cashier's check (and verify with the bank that it is legit when you receive it). Like 74 thing says, you are the seller ... you define the acceptable forms of payment for the transaction.

Recommend watching out on accepting cashier's checks for payment nowadays -- they are actually not all that safe anymore! Your bank will likely initially say that it's legit and accept it, but a month or three down the line, it will be discovered that the check was ultimately not good, and then your bank will pull funds from your accounts to cover the loss - !! Sad

It's sadly a pretty common scam nowadays. Just place an ad that you want to sell a used car, and see how quickly you get emails from folks promising to pay you with a cashier's check ASAP, along w/ some sort of supporting story. They'll even sometimes offer you a bit more than your asking price, just to sweeten the deal. Caveat emptor...

I generally insist on cash for things like used car sales transactions, etc., and employ a UV light and counterfeit detection pen to check the bills. Or alternately that the other party provide a regular personal or business check for payment, and that it gets fully cleared by my bank before the title or property gets transferred. Most buyers won't go for that latter option (understandably), so "cash remains king" still for a lot of private party-to-private party sales transactions.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrocks1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

User says he is in Northern California and I'm in southern California 6-8 hours away. Sure there is someone who is closer. The whole thing just sounds fishy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

Jrocks1965 wrote:
User says he is in Northern California and I'm in southern California 6-8 hours away. Sure there is someone who is closer. The whole thing just sounds fishy

I looked at his emails more:
It looks like he's sending things to an exporter and has one in both Northern CA and S. CA.
He's probably bulk shipping parts he needs all at once to Thailand if the seller is in the USA.

I wonder if he doesn't realize where you are located and told you the wrong exporter for him?

He said in his message to you through the site that he could pay by Paypal, did that change?

But: If you have a bad feeling or he wants to pay by check, I would refuse the sale.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrocks1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

Did think the same thing about him shipping back home. I had messaged him saying that I didn't want a check and that it had to be another form of payment. Waiting for a reply. If there is positive experiences and a history with this person I'll give him a chance. Just no check. Thank you for all your responses.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

A cashiers check is always good, wrapped around the cash and secured with a rubber band.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
OldSchoolVW's wrote:

Recommend watching out on accepting cashier's checks for payment nowadays -- they are actually not all that safe anymore! Your bank will likely initially say that it's legit and accept it, but a month or three down the line, it will be discovered that the check was ultimately not good, and then your bank will pull funds from your accounts to cover the loss - !! Sad

Actually, I meant that one should check with the bank identified on the cashier's check itself. If the bank doesn't exist, or exists but cannot verify that they created that check for the amount printed on the check, it's a no go on the sale. I imagine they would need some identifying numbers off the check ... oh, and I wouldn't use any bank phone number on the check. Obtain that independently so you know you are actually talking to the bank and not some fraudster.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Jrocks1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

Did the deal this morning. He came and paid cash. Thank you everyone for your help 🙏
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

Jrocks1965 wrote:
Did the deal this morning. He came and paid cash. Thank you everyone for your help 🙏

How about posting some positive feedback in the buyer/seller feedback forum?

I posted the link to his feedback in this thread earlier.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Jrocks1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone dealt with user name thostis??? Reply with quote

Just did 👍
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: