Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW cheating on diesel emissions.....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

weird...i pressure wash my engine and engine compartment regularly (around once a month or so), never had an issue getting it started right after and still very very wet. i use bosch plug wires and bosch distributor cap only. I do avoid spraying directly onto my air cleaners - dont want to flood the 45 dells with water Wink
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

next thing you know fiat will own it and not have to deal with all the crap vw did or any liability . like gm did after the bail out and it was not the same company and did not have to take responsibility of the past crap. it's coming just mark my words Shocked the explosion in china was just the first phase so they could scam the insurance and cover up more mess. so...face it we have a dying beard....oops bread?breed??? crap... the last of a species. they will be ex stink Shocked sale on air fresshoners starts today!!! darn it's cold out side today.
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Carbed VW Aircooled engines didnt have the problem it was the Fi engine with its more delicate electronic system.

Also the the very heavy tropical rains in Mexico.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

there are no unprotected "electronics" exposed under the engine lid, except for the already mentioned ignition transformer which was problematic in itself. of course there are much more electric connections in the compartment so it's better not to pressure wash the engine...

there is difference between a wet distributor after rain and a "fried" engine. the first is an occurrence once very common on many cars (fiat 127 and mini spring to mind), and is easily owner-solved by just cleaning and drying the distributor itself, the second involves damages beyond the scope of DIY maintenance, and there is simply no way rainwater enetering the engine lid vents could cause such damage.

1600i bugs have been driven for years now in the heavy rains of britain and under the snow of the alps, their weaknesses discovered, and poor factory rustproofing is clearly much more of a problem on them than that dreaded vented lid.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

if it wasn't a problem then no-one would have bought the plastic covers for the vents (a lot of bugs have them).

The VW sedan was a a low cost vehicle and owners generally didn't spend any money on them, just ran them into the ground.

They would never buy a vent unless it was necessary.

Lastly they were offered by VW Mexico..why...for aesthetics?
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

this is my last reply since we are heavily OT.

yes, the rear plastic cover is mostly for aesthetics. carmakers do actually sell accessories just for that. alloy wheels are offered on any kind of car, most of the times they don't give any actual advantage in lowering the unsprung masses or the advantage is negligible for that model, but people buy them nonetheless as they look good (they were also available on the bug, btw). they are sold for aesthetics.
for some accessories, the buyer may be convinced to get some real benefit even if he actually isn't. It's called marketing.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

So this is one of your typical VW owners in Mexico who is so concerned with aesthetics that he hasnt repaired dents or made a single change to the exterior except a go faster vent cover.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

you keep missing the point... just like an otherwise clueless owner would put alloy wheels on a car because "everyone knows they are better", the same kind of owner, if told by someone that his vocho's engine was at risk and those grilles were the solution, would put them on thinking of doing good. but that's just heresay. or marketing, if you prefer.

how much people buy fuel magnetizers? or read horoscopes? does it mean they work?

again: 1600i problems and issues are well known and this is not one of them. so, to go back to your original post, I simply don't think this specific issue is a valid reason to think VW was trying to deceive customers.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

I gotta say, this whole scandal is almost restoring my faith in the human race. I mean, I can still remember the days when you changed the oil in your car and then dumped the old stuff on the ground out back behind the shed, and nobody gave it a second thought. And now here we are, just a few decades later, raising holy hell because some car manufacturer fibbed a little about NOx emmissions on a car that otherwise gets outstanding fuel efficiency. And I bet most of us, including the P.I.C. (People In Charge) who made the policy, don't have the first clue just what exactly NOx even is! Well, I say good on you, good people. The only way the world ever changes is when enough people get together and stop tolerating the bullshite!

Of course, having said all that, I must admit that I find it ironic that the US is leading the charge against VW. I used to work at a shop in California that did smog testing, and you would not believe some of the things I saw my fellow Americans do to try and fool the sniffers! It seems like ever since emission testing first became obligatory, every Fast Freddy in North America has been trying to find some way around it. Hell, didn't good ol' Georgie Bush and the US Senate tell the entire world where they could shove the Kyoto Protocol back in 2000, and Canada in 2012, for the very reason that the proposed emissions standards were too strict and would hurt performance? And yet, there is the EPA, throwing the first stone.

I guess it just goes to show that the only thing worse than lying is getting caught lying.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

This is hardly a "new" issue, VW's with old/bad ignition parts like distributor caps , or ignition wires short to ground when wet. Spray with WD40, and move on with your life.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

4 grams.

That's the additional amount per year of particulates that vw was covering up.

It sounds like a lot, but, a gram is way smaller than a pound.

Saw the article on flip board today.

This amount, deemed minuscule by some scientists and regulators, isn't enough for them to lose their green status and tax privileges in several European countries.

Vws stock rallied today over this news, they were supposed to do a press conference.

Interesting hearing about their strategies to make it right.

Again, it should be interesting to see what car manufacture gets caught out next in doing something.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

itskyle wrote:
4 grams.

This amount, deemed minuscule by some scientists and regulators, isn't enough for them to lose their green status and tax privileges in several European countries.

Vws stock rallied today over this news, they were supposed to do a press conference.

Again, it should be interesting to see what car manufacture gets caught out next in doing something.

Kyle

You saw the article on Flipboard-- but what magazine or social site was the article actually sourced from? I mean if it's Car and Driver that's one thing--if it was The Onion that's another.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
itskyle wrote:
4 grams.

Kyle

You saw the article on Flipboard-- but what magazine or social site was the article actually sourced from? I mean if it's Car and Driver that's one thing--if it was The Onion that's another.

True. Believe source article was fortune magazine or some other economic periodical.

Haven't seen an onion story flipped yet, but my guess is that it's a matter of time.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Under the Influence is a CBC radio show on marketing--in this episode Terry O'Reilly talks about companies who lie like VW, Volvo, Hoover and can they recover the brand. Here he talks about the diesel deception.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/popup/audio/listen.html?au...type=audio

Terry often mentions VW in his radio shows, the ads of the 60s were the reasons he got into advertisemenr to be begin with and he drives a '62 Beetle himself that he has mentionned in previous installments of his show. He also mentionned his Karmen Ghia in the earlier version of the show The Age of Persuasion.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

I think the reputation/brand damage will be mostly confined to north america in the end, also due to the specific "TDI clean diesel" marketing strategy adopted on those markets.
At least here in Europe, as other carmakers' methods of circumventing emission rules are uncovered (most recently, renault, daimler and GM-opel, with varying levels of denial all suspiciously similar to the attitude VW kept at the early stages of this matter), this issue is switching in perception to an industry-wide one.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

itskyle wrote:
sb001 wrote:
itskyle wrote:
4 grams.

Kyle

True. Believe source article was fortune magazine or some other economic periodical.

Haven't seen an onion story flipped yet, but my guess is that it's a matter of time.

Kyle

It's not just the particulate and NOx pollution, it's that the higher NOx comes from higher combustion temperatures, which allows better efficiency. It therefore means fixing the problem will mean using more fuel and increasing the CO2 emissions by amounts measured in tons.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
...as other carmakers' methods of circumventing emission rules are uncovered (most recently, renault, daimler and GM-opel....

Source please?
Every carmaker tunes their systems to ensure the car passes the test, and real-world results may differ. But so far everything I've read confirms VW is the only one with software that detects if the car is on a dynamometer, and runs a completely different engine program.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

itskyle wrote:
4 grams.

Kyle

4 grams = 4/28 = .1428 ounce/16 = .0089 pound
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
GArBa wrote:
...as other carmakers' methods of circumventing emission rules are uncovered (most recently, renault, daimler and GM-opel....

Source please?
Every carmaker tunes their systems to ensure the car passes the test, and real-world results may differ. But so far everything I've read confirms VW is the only one with software that detects if the car is on a dynamometer, and runs a completely different engine program.

1/2 way down

http://wardsauto.com/industry/vw-emissions-scandal-echoes-gm-india-controversy?page=2

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
GArBa wrote:

Source please?

VW is the only carmaker who admitted doing so, and they did it only when they had no alternative (despite criticism, the EPA and CARB have a lot more power on carmakers than the EU regulatory agencies). EU regulations, just like in the US, mandate that a vehicle must not be intentionally designed to behave differently in the real world than in the testing environment.

some sources:

https://www.dieselnet.com/news/2015/10duh.php
(DUH is the same organization that sued VW over their european fix program)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-14/...ooperating
(french government tries to downplay the issue as they own shares in renault and were one of the most vocal against vw in the wake of the scandal)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2016/02/...db23891891
(daimler previously stated they did not use sowtware tweaks, now they argues it is a legal feature just as VW did early)
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: