Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BarnDoor dropped spindles
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: BarnDoor dropped spindles Reply with quote

Can Barndoor spindles be lowered in the "flipped" manner as it is used on the later spindles?

If not, is there a reason?

If yes, is it identical as lowering thel ater spindles?

Thanks,

Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought spindles were the all the same pre-63....is this incorrect?
I'm sure BBJ or Money Mike could enlighten us....
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Barndoor spindles were already in the "low" position geometrically and flipping them wouldn't do the same thing as later. Not positive, but I think that this is correct. As far as I know, BBJ uses later spindles and that way you can do the same dropped spindle setup as later Buses.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barndoor spindles are 1949 to march 55 only items. Very Happy
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FBIVW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: spindles Reply with quote

as far as i know 55 to 62 spindles are the thing to use if dropped spindles are your fancy on your barndoor. the early small diameter linkpins will slot in.
Should give a bigger braking surface, easier to get wheel cylinders etc etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is just hearsay but I was told the guy who bought Thoms old 54 RHD Deluxe sent his barndoor spindles to Wolfgang for modification. I never looked into this or anything but it would be easy to call them and verify. Good luck
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barndoor spindles are not flipped yet, see pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As far as I can see in the pic they look similar (the principle) to the later spindles so I would think the same can be done with these spindles as with later spindles to lower them.

I was told that the BarnDoor spindles have a dampening portion in the form of a2 inch coil spring looking part in the center of the kingpins somewhere. On a later spindle you would see just a spacer block in the same place... But no-one has been able to confirm this yet.

Is this dampening portion needed or can we replace it with a spacer as the later spindles?

55-63 spindles should work since they use the same 20mm linkpins, but I would like to use the BD spindles.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MoneyMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I just had this conversation with BBJ the other day! The reason why we use the later spindles is for the brakes and the drums, they are much easier to come by. As for the barndoor spindle BBJ says if you flip a pair of those it will slam the shit out of your ride, they are just not practicle.
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barndoor front axle:

Later front axle:

Spot the difference?
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was it. The tie rod connects on the top, not the bottom like later spindles.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard, but never verified or even tried, that you could use link pin Bug spindles and get the lowered effect. If this is true think of the options...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowering Barndoors??
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Lowered Barndoor spindles Reply with quote

OK, I see the difference in the 2 pictures. The tierod connect on top of the spindle in stead of at the bottom, but other then that is is the same so in my opinion it should be possible.

What I do not get is why it would slam the shit out of your ride??? Flipping them should give the equal amount of drop as a later spindle since the kingpins assembly seems the same.
I could think of a clearance problem with the steering arm since this connect at the top of the spindle (but I'm not sure since I never checked in detail the BD body in this area)

Can anyone shed some light on the dampening part (number 25 in the BD schematics)? Is this correct since in the schematics I do not see any difference...

Thanks,

Peter
Poze123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just dropped the spindles on my 563 Barndoor, pics available if anyone wants to see them!?

Basically the arm is on the top, so it raises the arm 3.5" higher, then you drill in the tie rod end from underneath, bush it - we (well my machiner) drilled if for later Beetle tie rod ends.

Not got the steering properly 100% sorted yet though, but i have driven it on a test run.

Cheers
poze
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I've just dropped the spindles on my 563 Barndoor, pics available if anyone wants to see them!?

Basically the arm is on the top, so it raises the arm 3.5" higher, then you drill in the tie rod end from underneath, bush it - we (well my machiner) drilled if for later Beetle tie rod ends.

Not got the steering properly 100% sorted yet though, but i have driven it on a test run.

Cheers
poze

Please post some pics Very Happy
MoneyMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Lowered Barndoor spindles Reply with quote

Peter - Belgium wrote:
OK, I see the difference in the 2 pictures. The tierod connect on top of the spindle in stead of at the bottom, but other then that is is the same so in my opinion it should be possible.

What I do not get is why it would slam the shit out of your ride??? Flipping them should give the equal amount of drop as a later spindle since the kingpins assembly seems the same.
I could think of a clearance problem with the steering arm since this connect at the top of the spindle (but I'm not sure since I never checked in detail the BD body in this area)

Can anyone shed some light on the dampening part (number 25 in the BD schematics)? Is this correct since in the schematics I do not see any difference...

Thanks,

Peter

Why are you waisting time with the barndoor spindles anyway? What are you gaining by using a barndoor spindle?
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike, who is standing between you and john solana in your avatar?

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MoneyMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
mike, who is standing between you and john solana in your avatar?

Gibbs, That is the worlds skinniest fat dude!
jjlux
Mr. No Show

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...............Hey miKe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: