Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pacific Coast Highway - mudslide
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Pacific Coast Highway - mudslide Reply with quote

I just saw the pictures of this disaster. I've never driven on that road, but have heard plenty of Samba members say how beautiful it is. Mother Nature can be cruel, but thank goodness nobody was hurt. Hope you get your road back soon!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pacific Coast Highway - mudslide Reply with quote

Ah, thanks. I have driven that route decades ago but don't know how much traffic flows through there today. I'm sure with the tourist season it will be a deterrent and force folks to avoid the area.
You reminded me of a very similar incident in the very heavily traveled Los Angeles County freeway system where a section of hillside "slid" down onto a major transition. The location was the W/B 10 frwy to the N/B 57 frwy in the area of the infamous Pomona Fairgrounds/Dragstrip. TV reports stated witness say a vehicle at the moment the hill "slid" down, so there was a scramble to recover victims, but none found.
The Calif Governor just signed a 5.2 billion dollar gas tax to fix the roads so I'm sure we will be ok Laughing here. One party has been reported to attempting to divert funds for other projects here Rolling Eyes !
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pacific Coast Highway - mudslide Reply with quote

Bad news for those busineses nearby the scene, the PCH is a beautiful drive, but a detour inland to hit some small off the beaten path towns and scenery never dissapoints in that area either, I wouldn't let it stop me from choosing the coast over I-5.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pacific Coast Highway - mudslide Reply with quote

The scary part about the slide is the heavy equipment could cause another slide. Mother nature with all of the rain loosened things up a bit for sure. More Coast line or is California starting to slide off.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pacific Coast Highway - mudslide Reply with quote

The 2014 Type 3 Rally drove that stretch, and this year's event had planned to again. Not gonna happen!

It looks like it will be a year or more before it is opened. Lots of hardship for locals and businesses alike.

The only silver lining here is that it started as several smaller slides CALTRANS was trying to repair. That meant there was no public traffic on that stretch when it let go. Otherwise its would have entombed people in their cars, and they may have ended up under dozens of feet of dirt, or even under sea level where it fanned out over the beach. Fortunately, no one was hurt.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pacific Coast Highway - mudslide Reply with quote

The CNN article has a photo with a tab attached that you can move from side to side to view what it looked like before and after the slide.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/us/california-landslide-scenic-highway/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodemaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pacific Coast Highway - mudslide Reply with quote

Did this drive from PNW two summers ago, it's everything you could want in a coastal scenic drive. Very sad to see it devastated like this especially for the local businesses in and around Big Sur.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: