Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Tops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Wow. I never thought this post from 5 years ago would surface from the bowels of The Samba. I just went and checked and all but one of the T moldings has stayed put and not re-shrunk. The one that did shrink was the one I forgot to glue. Shocked

Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Never cut yourself short, that's surely going to leave a mark!!

Does the stretching lead to long term white stretch marks?

One way to fix them would be to strategically use a pin nailer; but one wonders if 30 year old plastic has enough unstretch to fight it-any adhesive that holds between old plastic and dirty van is new to me.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Can you heat it and massage it back where it belongs without pulling it out of the T-slot?

Probably not this one...

Very thankful to see this thread!!!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue May 19, 2020 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
65Tops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Can you heat it and make it go back where it belongs without pulling it out of the T-slot?

I remember trying that but was worried about the heat melting something else. If your careful you probably could peel back a foot or so and work on it. Its pretty easy to remove the moldings and also gives you the opportunity to really clean them well.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Nope. Gently pull it all out of the slot. It has shrunk proportionally along its length and needs to be stretched back the same way.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

I saw where someone was selling little 'plugs' to extend the ends, and was dreading that option.

Very excited there's a clean & proper method to fix this blemish!

Did Westfalia glue it in? I wonder if the pin-nailer scheme will work.

Also it seems prudent to measure the lengths that you need to stretch it before pulling it out.
So if it's 10mm short on each end, then when you have it out, you stretch it 20mm longer

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
65Tops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Did Westfalia glue it in?

If they did its long gone. I used gorilla glue on the ends and areas where it turns the radius. Make sure everything is clean to give it a fighting chance.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Sodo, here's my cupholder (made from the end of a table...the rest of the table was used to make a closet door) with a similar situation as yours. Pull it out to where it is still in the slot, i.e. no need to remove it entirely, heat it up, stretch and reinsert it. I believe some glue will help hold it in place (see my post above for suggested construction adhesive). Westfalia may have used adhesive but it may have lost grip (I'm guessing they didn't and just expected the moulding to stay in place - most of their work has held up pretty well).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Also it seems prudent to measure the lengths that you need to stretch it before pulling it out.
So if it's 10mm short on each end, then when you have it out, you stretch it 20mm longer

Don't overthink this. Take the table into the shop, pull the edge trim out to where it's still attached, heat it with a heat gun, add your favorite glue to the slot, heat the trim with the heat gun again, stretch it a bit while reinserting it, bump it with a rubber mallet. I got my ends this close on the first try two weekends ago. Less than 60 leisurely minutes. We coulda made it a SD (social distanced) project day. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
johnt55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

A few "power tips" about doing this repair.

1. Use the heat gun as little as possible! Never point the heat gun at one spot for more than a second. Doesn't take much to actually melt or set the rubber on fire!
2. Use a clamp or Vise grips to grab either end of the inner tab strip that goes into the table's notch so you don't mar the outer edge.
3. After clamping, hang the strip from a garage ceiling joist with a weight, (1-3 pounds) clamped at the bottom end while you carefully heat the entire rubber strip.
4. Note the amount of stretch, (measure from the floor to the bottom of the strip) you'll need after the strip has cooled because it will shrink back slightly.
5. Take your time.
6. You can also, (carefully) restore the rubber strip to its original shiny surface by very slowly passing the heat over the outer surface. This very slightly softens/melts the worn outer surface and it will shine again. Only do this if it's that important to you. Not worth making a mistake!
7. When heating the rubber edging in order to stretch it, always point the heat gun at the BACK SIDE of the rubber strip. This way, if you accidentally overheat the strip, (easy to do!) the deformation should be hidden from view.
8. I used Gorilla glue, but remember that Gorilla glue expands as it dries. So, watch it carefully so you can remove the excess as needed. (I'm sure there are better glues, but that's what I had on the shelf).
9. Use a sharp box cutter or other very sharp edge to slice the rubber straight across after you've fit the rubber strip back into the table slot.
10. I used protective wooden blocks, (to reduce damaging the soft rubber outer surface) and clamps, but I'm sure wooden blocks wrapped tightly with light ropes will do the job. Without the protective blocks, your clamps or rope may damage the rubber as the glue sets.
11. Pay particular attention to the area an inch or two on either side of the table corners. This is where the rubber strip will most likely try to pull away from the table top while drying. Avoid clamping the corners.
12. Let it all dry overnight before removing the clamps/ropes. (You can wait that long!)
13. Admire your work!
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

In the past I have purchased the trim in bulk and then like fine whiskey have aged it. I usually cut it into 3 meter lengths. Using a wide board with slots made from strips of place the new trim pieces one per slot. The contraption is then placed in the attic for a couple of three years to age ie shrink during the hot hot Sacramento summers.
When installing i glue them into place using an adhesive that does not creep under tension and heat ie is not plastic. If the area is not visible i anchor the ends with monel staples.

Most importantly I save any removed pieces to be reused in areas that only need a shorter piece. Tip, if you scrub the old trim with a medium or fine Scotch Brite and BarKeepers Friend they look like new.

Keeping the inside trim around the doors and drawers tight tends to be more troublesome for me personally.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

^^^I'd like to visit your attic. It seems there may be other interesting works in progress up there.

Abscate wrote:

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Wonder where dgbeatty's aged/shrunken T-molding stash went.
Sure wish I could ask him...
He's probably trying to guide us to it but can't log on. Sad

Where is a good place to get ~8 feet of gray T-moulding?

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Wonder where dgbeatty's aged/shrunken T-molding stash went.
Sure wish I could ask him...
He's probably trying to guide us to it but can't log on. Sad

I can't swear they'd have a exact match for Factory colors, but I bought some 3/4" wide and 1/2" wide T-molding from an On-line T-molding store back in 2020 when I was making my DIY cabinets for the Vanagon. I'll try and find the place, and post it tonight. They were pretty well stocked in multiple colors.

Doesn't GoWesty or one of our other Vendors stock the T-molding for the Westy's? Think Think
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

GoWesty
Brickwerks
Guntz
etc.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

I haven’t read the whole thread but do want to stretch our molding.

My evil plan is to boil water, coil the molding into it, put on Nomex cooking gloves, stretch and measure, repeat longer in the water until at least a half-inch too long, force into length in the channel, glue after shrinkage and once the right length.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Synergy Solutions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Another heating trick (eric) if you’re in a campground, is boil some water. Drop the vinyl in the water for 2 minutes, stretch it to fit, dry, then glue.

No heat gun needed if you dont want to risk the heat spots or dont have the $20 harbor freight heat gun…

I often use painters tape to hold it in place for 24 hours too…

(206) 841 7324
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

GoWesty's option is $75 for 25 feet.
Looks like the real thing.
I need about 6.5 feet - anyone have 6.5ft for sale?
Or a wrecked 'large Westy table'? That's 8 feet.

Synergy Solutions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
GoWesty's option is $75 for 25 feet.
Looks like the real thing.
I need about 6.5 feet - anyone have 6.5ft for sale?
Or a wrecked 'large Westy table'? That's 8 feet.

Find Ralf Sudorf in the classifieds and send him a PM.

Or jason bustillos at [email protected]

(206) 841 7324
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: