Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Billy's Logo'd DD Panel
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billyisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Billy's Logo'd DD Panel Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well, there she is (assuming I posted the pics correctly!) I have decided to stick stock with most things, but it does have a Z-bed and some Westy cabnetry so my wife will actually camp with me Smile
I am shooting to have her roadworthy in time for the meet in the middle BBQ on Feb 15th...we'll see!
Billy
1973 1303S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logo'd panels are so cool! good luck with it!
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, logos and double doors.
http://www.oslp.org/
billyisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice words. I was pretty happy to find this panel. I have been picking up the parts I need for it over the past few months, and I think I am now all set to finish putting it together. The necessary metal and body work has been completed by Jason at Rust-Box in Ventura, so all I really need to do is to install the lights and one of the motors I have. Our new house has really managed to take up all my time recently--I have actually never even driven this bus Sad
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know exactly how you feel. i bought my 57 3 years ago about the same time we bought our house that needed a complete resto inside and out. i still haven't driven it, i am getting close now though, little bit at a time.
billyisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnie wrote:
i know exactly how you feel. i bought my 57 3 years ago about the same time we bought our house that needed a complete resto inside and out. i still haven't driven it, i am getting close now though, little bit at a time.

I hear ya, but 3 YEARS Shocked ?!? You are more patient than I am! I have a motor that is 90% completed that I will take my time to finish, but in the interm I have pulled the motor out of my bug and will use it in my bus because I just can't stand to see the bus sitting any longer!

My wife is a high school english teacher at "good" (ie. rich, conservative area) school and is looking forward to the reactions she'll get pulling into the faculty lot in the panel Twisted Evil !
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, 3 years in march. when we bought our house it needed all new plumbing, lots of major rot repair, windows, drwall, electrical, floors, paint/trim, and siding. when you have no money to pay people to come do it, and have to buy all the tools and learn how from scratch, thats how long it takes. it was so far gone there was no doing it a little at a time.
it rains 8-9 months out of the year here and my garage is too small to do much work in.
billyisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We JUST moved into our house this past Saturday--I got 3 hours of sleep before waking up in time to run to OCTO! Escrow closed on our house last June, so we've made 8 mortgage payments before moving in Evil or Very Mad , but considering the work we did I think 8 months is pretty good. Like you, we had some wood rot--we jacked up part of our house and replaced a few floor joists and then we got to fill all the cracks in the plaster once everything was level and sturdy again...fun times. Anyway, good luck with your house AND your bus!
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(in Jim Carrey voice) I like it alot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have admired this panel since i first saw you put it up. good luck with it!!!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. The double doors add to the cool factor. I wonder what happened to Cecil?
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyisme wrote:
My wife is a high school english teacher at "good" (ie. rich, conservative area) school and is looking forward to the reactions she'll get pulling into the faculty lot in the panel Twisted Evil !

I actually teach High School English as well. Not in the fanciest place on earth, but I also love cruising into the lot in my camper. Wink

Actually had a student who approached me one day who recognized me and my bus from TheSamba!! Now if that isn't strange, I dunno what is!

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billyisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
Very nice. The double doors add to the cool factor. I wonder what happened to Cecil?

What coolness the double doors add to the bus the 14" front rims attempt to take away... I will be installing 2 more 15" rims once my "tire budget" passes the familial budget negotiations later this week--the old bus needs some new shoes something fierce.
I would LOVE to know what happened to Cecil and Tonnie... I haven't been able to find any record of their business through Google searches.

[/quote]Actually had a student who approached me one day who recognized me and my bus from TheSamba!! Now if that isn't strange, I dunno what is!

-Taylor

That would actually scare me if my wife's students began poking around the VW hobby. Sounds like you must be certain to mind your Ps and Qs here if your students read the forums Shocked
actorboy
Samba Bum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyisme wrote
Quote:
I would LOVE to know what happened to Cecil and Tonnie... I haven't been able to find any record of their business through Google searches.

Try finding an old phonebook to see if they had an ad, then cut it out. Maybe some librarys have them. Or call the yellow pages and see if they keep old issues. Or check the BBB to see if there is a record of their company. How about the city hall. Maybe they have a record of business licenses issued. Or even an old janitorial supply house that has been around for a while. Maybe they did business with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billyisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*UPDATE*
As of Saturday Feb 14th, this bus is officially running and driving. The brakes are HELLA-SCARY right now, but she's registered, insured and the brake lights work! Very Happy
Now I have to pay my wife back for the full day (Valentine's Day, no less!) I spent on my bus, so it looks like I'll be setting some counter tile in our kitchen this coming weekend d'oh!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting it running and legal!! Logo'd panels rock beyond belief.

And luckily, none my students have even the remotest interest in reading the forums! Smile

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that bus is bad ass!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyisme wrote:
*UPDATE*
As of Saturday Feb 14th, this bus is officially running and driving. The brakes are HELLA-SCARY right now, but she's registered, insured and the brake lights work! Very Happy
Now I have to pay my wife back for the full day (Valentine's Day, no less!) I spent on my bus, so it looks like I'll be setting some counter tile in our kitchen this coming weekend d'oh!

Looks great Billy- i would def. find an old add- like the JIFFY logo'd panel that went across the pond - (dayum I wanted that one). if i were you i would be thanking your wife for letting you work on it @ V-day. ( i on the other hand toook my 5 yr old to see Toy Story on Ice- dayum long)
highdesertdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billy, congrats on your accomplishment. up close your bus is even better than it photographs. no worries on the long lead time to complete, better safe than sorry. wasn't your wife there with you at jasons on the 14th? or was that john's wife? man, i wish my wife would hang out with me when i wrenched on mine. i'm happy she checks on me now and again with a beer or sandwich... drop by fillmore cafe one of these 2nd saturdays of the month around 10am when SV2s CCC meets. tomorrow we're going to charlie hammil's place in westminster. should be a blast.
-mark
billyisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project update...

**I hope that updating one's "Reader's Rides" thread isn't considered lame...

1. I will start by mentioning that I have a 2 year-old daughter and a wife who's 8 months pregnant. That should answer the "What the hell is taking this guy so long to get his stupid bus running" question...
2. I blew my temporary motor and am currently having a solid 1600 sp built with new everything.
3. Full brake system replacement is currently under way.
4. I JUST finished a full set of correct '59 15" bus rims and had tires mounted over the weekend.
5. I have received phone numbers and information regarding the original owner's (Mr. Cecil and Mr. Tonnies) current whereabouts. They are both VERY old and live within 2 miles of me. I am still trying to plot a tactful way to get some sort of business memorabilia from them or their family, but haven't yet mustered the gumption to call...
6. And finally, here's a pic from this past Saturday:

Billy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: