Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New '52 barn find project. Loaded with pics
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on John's wiring harness. Just installed one on my '50 a few weeks go.....great quality and great instructions.
Budrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New '52 barn find project. Loaded with pics Reply with quote

Well, after a long hiatus (10 years to be exact), getting married, 2 kids, and a very recent sudden death in my family that rocked my world, I figured I needed to stop wasting time and get this thing on the road. The purpose of buying this car was so my dad and I could cruise around in our bugs and make lifelong memories.

So, one day I loaded it up on a trailer and brought it over to my house. I began assessing what needed to be done to get it on the road, which was pretty much everything. I started off by finishing the adjustable beam and the disc brake install I had began 10 years ago. This car came with 356A brakes which I made the decision to remove and try to sell (still for sale if anyone wants them). Once I got the brakes and beam all wrapped up I pulled the motor and trans. I serviced the trans and got that back in. I went to work on the motor which wasn't running. I ended up finding a running 36hp motor on OfferUp for $300. I pulled the carb and fuel pump off that and slapped it on the motor that came with the car. Replaced the oil, set the valves, timing and fired it up.

I put the motor back in and began on the wiring. Most of it is done now but I still have some issues I need to figure out. The wiring harness from John over at Zar Werks is awesome! For anyone on the fence about buying one, just do it. It makes life so much easier.

I pretty much have everything buttoned up except the wiring and the interior. I'm waiting on seat covers and door panels to come in and then I'll tackle that. Surprisingly, a lot on this car had already been replaced when the previous owner began rebuilding it. That was probably around 30 years ago though so most of the rubber and other parts were rotted and needed to be replaced.

This car is by no means a "Purists" car. There's mostly (I think) original parts and I've tried to replace parts with original parts but some aren't. The intention of rebuilding this car is just to get it on the road and enjoy it with my dad. The next owner can bring it back to stock... I've done all the work on this thing on my own and I have to say, I'm pretty proud of it. Again, it's not perfect and it's not meant to be but man, the amount of things I've learned working on this car make all the long nights worth it.

My plan from here is to get the rear down a couple inches and drop the front a little just to fill out the fenders a bit more. I need to pull the dash pods and paint them and get some various trim pieces installed. The running boards are on for now but I'm planning on pulling them off and re-drilling and tapping the mounting holes to the body.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my dad's first drive in it and the first day this car drove since it went NON-OP in 1972....

Link
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: New '52 barn find project. Loaded with pics Reply with quote

Very cool! I am sure that your Dad loved it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New '52 barn find project. Loaded with pics Reply with quote

Awesome, happy seeing it back on the roads ! You can be proud of you!
Bests
Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: New '52 barn find project. Loaded with pics Reply with quote

Very neat car! Congrats on getting it running and driving again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New '52 barn find project. Loaded with pics Reply with quote

Very cool and congrats on getting another split on the road!!! Applause Applause Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

belairman wrote:
John Henry makes a great harness for early split windows. I have installed several of his harnesses on 50-52 splits. Comes with very detailed instructions to install it. He advertise's here on the samba. I will be doing another one on a July 52 car soon.

x2!
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: New '52 barn find project. Loaded with pics Reply with quote

Beige carpet in a blue / grey car???

For glueing the headliner on the bare metal, you will get the electric chair here in germany.

If you are searching for vintage keys, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/WagenmanufakturHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: