Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

It feels like the mysteries of the universe are unveiled when you lift the case off... Then you wonder how you are going to clean it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Center crank journal shiny with wear.

Cam bearing shiny with wear.

Cam bearings worn greater to right than left of photo.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

How tight are the valve stems in the guides? Is there anything extra added to the engine such as rocker vents? or a windage tray that could affect how the oil moves around inside the case? Not sure what's with the one valve but overall it doesn't look like the valves have been seating well, What cam and pushrods are your running and at what lash?
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

@wildthings

The valve stems have a little jiggle. I do not know how to assess tolerance. The guides were replaced along with the valves by a machinist. One of the guides is pushed into the head further than all the others.

Nothing extra (other than stock parts) added to this engine that I am aware of. I aimed for a "stock" 1700cc with a CR of around 7.3:1

Cam is an aftermarket CWC that came in the engine I used as a core. I do not know what the cam specs are.

Pushrods are 27 cm long tip to tip.

Solid lifters.

When I adjusted valves, I always set the lash to 0.006"

Unless there is a good reason to not, I can get new cam, lifters, pushrods to go along with the new cylinders, pistons, rings, valves I already plan on swapping into this engine.

Last edited by whatdoesthisbuttondo? on Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

I am having trouble getting the connecting rods apart... Any tips? Cool

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

Take the nuts off, first.

Laughing

Tap tap tap tap , then use a wood drift to ease the apart
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

I use a small hammer and a brass drift and alternated taps between the two rod bolts. You want to make sure the bearing insert on the rod itself stays in contact with the journal so as to prevent steel against steel contact between the rod and the journal.
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

Thanks very much I will give those tips a go. It's good to hear they are commonly tight; Bentley instructed to just take them apart.

I've got half the nuts off and each were incredibly tight and hard to get moving. To separate the rod, after the nuts were loosened way off, I was alternately striking the studs end-on with a rawhide hammer and only managed to budge the rod stamped 483.

If I read the spec right, side clearance was acceptable with a feeler, at 0.010-0.011 inch
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

Measuring parts.

Cam has wear on lobes in area Wilson says is fail. Will replace along with all bearings, gear, solid lifters and pushrods.

Crankshaft main journals 1,2,3: 2.361" all around. Measured 6 points on each journal. No taper. Widest reading was 2.3615" (new part 2.3610 - 2.3618") No wear limit is listed in Bentley, so assume its 2.361"

Crankshaft journal 4: 1.574" (new part 1.5740 -1.5748").

I do not have ability to measure runout/whip

Connecting Rod journals: Also remarkably consistent diameter of 2.165" (new part 2.1645 - 2.1653")

Connecting rod weights: 792-793g (with bolts/nuts). Weight difference limit 6-10 g

Glad to have opinions on pros and cons of polishing/running this crankshaft vs machining to next undersize (0.01" down from new)?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

It doesn’t look like those rod bolts were staked. Ergo, you have had a monkey inside this engine, previously.
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It doesn’t look like those rod bolts were staked. Ergo, you have had a monkey inside this engine, previously.

A local shop put together everything inside the case when this was last rebuilt. I am doing it myself this time.

What does it mean to stake a rod bolt?
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

Got a little home cleaning set-up set up. Simple green in a tote followed by a water rinse. Break clean for the thickest oil sludge at the bottom of the case. Then a misting of WD40 and into the clean tote. Things will then get another once over to remove all old gasket material and clean mating surfaces.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

Maybe have a look at the build in my sig?

No need to stake rod bolts anymore.

What’s That Noise?!?
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

Thanks Clatter ill give it a read. I'm getting close to ordering parts then finding a machinist.

In the meantime I upgraded my parts washing capabilities with a 20 gallon solvent tank that really stinks up my workshop. It's overall less cumbersome and less messy than the driveway technique though. I'm using mineral spirits and it works great. I restore old woodworking hand tools and the tank is proving its worth for cleaning off 8 decades of 3 in 1 oil from wrenches and hand planes.

whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

The bearing wear in the rods kind of looks weird to me with the gap along the centre where it didn't wear. Is this a thing?

@clatter I have read through your build post a few times. It is both informative and daunting. But it's just the level of step by step I need at this point so thanks! That said im going into this build with waaaay less experience under my belt. Do I have to do so much tapping of the oil galley plugs, though? Guaranteed I'd mess a couple of those up heh heh... heh.

Oh from Clatter's post I got the idea to do a little cleanup of the casting ridges that want to lacerate me or make nice clear pathways for oil. See the white on those bits.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

Your bearings look fine, just a minor amount of manufacturing variance between the center and edges of the bearing insert. Its not really wear, just the polishing of the high spots.
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Your bearings look fine, just a minor amount of manufacturing variance between the center and edges of the bearing insert. Its not really wear, just the polishing of the high spots.

Hey that's great to hear.
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

Round two on the case. I used a file and 600 grit. Wet dry paper whisper to take down and smooth off the interior casting flaws.Then it's been a tedious attack on the layers of red rtv, case sealer, and black tarry stuff the last shop used. Contractor solvent, mineral spirits, and acetone in combination with brass brushes, tooth brushes, bottle brushes, wood picks, q tips, razor blades, ab4asive pads and a lot of shop towels have worked.... marginally well.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Bus and First Engine Drop. Need guidance! Reply with quote

In the past I just paid my local automotive machine shop to soak my engine in their tank. They would also use their special brushes to clean out the oil drillings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: