Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru motor swap - front radiator
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru motor swap - front radiator Reply with quote

Taking a WAG, but from what I've been able to read into discussions regarding airflow around a fiberglass body buggy - the airflow around the back is turbulent at best, probably with no real directional flow. The fan should help to keep air moving through the IC instead of it just swirling around it. A Beetle is likely different since air will "stick"to the body (up to a certain speed anyways) and probably be flowing straight down in to the IC on the rear of the Baja.

Another tid-bit I've read about indicates the best place to mount it might just be horizontal on the back seat shelf, or ducted through the fiberglass there. Air pushing up from underneath and into the rear of the cockpit. Look up making a simple U-tube manometer and see what the pressure looks like above and below the rear fiberglass. That'll tell you where the air "wants" to go.
Jeff
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru motor swap - front radiator Reply with quote

Driftin wrote:
Hears one : http://www.amazon.com/Intercooler-Temperature-Gauge-prosport-dual-Digital-Display/dp/B006CUIL2Q

I'm running the AEM stinger ecu - No Subaru codes to mess with.

That would work too.

Does your AEM use an O2 Sensor???

How about an IAT sensor???

If so you should be able to hook a computer or notepad to it to log temps.

I now use an Asus Transformer Notepad with Bluetooth connection.
If I had a Droid phone I could easily do it all with that except Autotune.
I have a work supplied IPhone though.

No wire to hook up but it can be a little temperamental getting a BT connection.
You have to turn the BT off then on just before you want to hook up to the ECU BT. After that it connects immediately.

The only bad part about the Notepad and MSDroid is there is no Veal Autotune.
For Autotune I have to use Tunerstudio and a Laptop with serial connection, power inverter and a mouse which makes for a busy cockpit.

I know nothing about AEM but surely there must be something you can do with it besides send it in to have it tuned.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driftin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru motor swap - front radiator Reply with quote

It can use all the sensors you suggested but I don't have any of them. I just put in a complete new electrical system in the car finishing the heated power seats today. Working on my IC is next on the list. It could be a few months seeing how slow I get things done....

Lowering the temp on the back side of the IC will give us tons of extra power. Its a no brainer to get it working efficiently.
Driftin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru motor swap - front radiator Reply with quote

I've been collecting parts to try water to air IC. I was thinking about mounting 2 of the radiators(from a Honda CRF250) in front of the motor behind the axles on the support tubes I added. I'm not sure how much air they will get there but I was going to make a small box with a scoop for each radiator. Hopefully they will get lots of fresh air there and not much radiant heat. Or I could put them up front some where with lots of fresh air. Here is what I have so far. I'm not sure if I will use the square radiator or not. The IC will have temp sendors on both intake and cold side from a gauge that I'm going to order off Ebay. All these parts are Ebay items - let's hope they dont leak.... The relay in the pic is not for this project.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is where I thought on mounting them.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru motor swap - front radiator Reply with quote

How's the buggy running Driftin???

You coming up for the Burger Meet in July????

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driftin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru motor swap - front radiator Reply with quote

What date is that burger/vw show??

I'm pushing 1300 miles on the car now, it's been a lot of fun to drive around town. A few items that I need to get finished are a rain top for our wet weather and the front wheels balanced(for freeway speeds). The car has been driven on dry days locally, so I know the big soak down in the rain is coming.

I finished my wind screen out of sliding door mesh.

Also, here is the intercooler that has a fan operated by a toggle switch. There is no air flow to this area so the fan really helps. The car rips! The Burns stainless muffler also helps quiet down the car and makes driving more enjoyable. I can't feel any loss of power with it.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru motor swap - front radiator Reply with quote

Burger Meet is about the 3rd Friday in July.
here is the link to the page..

http://www.cascadekombis.org/vintage-meet

I like your windscreen...does it help??? We are going to the Manx Club Big Bear Meet July 8-10 in California and driving the buggy all the way. I'm wondering if that would be a great addition for us.
Watch my build .....I'm getting a top made for my buggy in the next week or so.
I gave up making my own since a local guy I know quoted me a very reasonable price I thought.

I installed a "Bestop" Bimini top channel on the top of the windshield to mount the top to....

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Driftin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru motor swap - front radiator Reply with quote

The wind screen helps with the wind coming from the back seat are up to the front between the seats. You could put a towel between the head rests on the seats to see if it would work for you. A waterproof top would be nice to have - I'm looking forward to yours and what you think of it.

Sounds like a fun trip to BB this summer. Let me know if you make a stop in Portland for coffee, I'd like to meet up.

I'll check the dates on the Seattle burger bash to see if it works - it will force me to balance my front wheels.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru motor swap - front radiator Reply with quote

Driftin wrote:
The wind screen helps with the wind coming from the back seat are up to the front between the seats. You could put a towel between the head rests on the seats to see if it would work for you. A waterproof top would be nice to have - I'm looking forward to yours and what you think of it.

Sounds like a fun trip to BB this summer. Let me know if you make a stop in Portland for coffee, I'd like to meet up.

I'll check the dates on the Seattle burger bash to see if it works - it will force me to balance my front wheels.

We will probably be heading home down I-5 since we are taking highway 97 and highway 395 on the way down there.
We will have about 7 days to get down to BB and 3 days to get home.

PM a cell # or an email for your cell and I'll warn you when we go through.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: