Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

This isn't in Google Maps (yet), but it will give an idea of what I am planning from SoCal, starting early Thursday morning:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Usually I'd think a 7am departure would work, but I'm thinking of moving it at least an hour earlier... the L.A. rush hour traffic on a weekday is not something I want to sit in... this isn't a weekend run!
Let me know if you are interested (PM me).

As an incentive, I am making up shields (inkjet printed on magnetic sheets) and plan to share with fellow SoCal caravaners:

By the way, I tried email several SoCal Invaders using the addresses on John's Invasion site, but they got kicked back. Please check your email info there!

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue May 17, 2016 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

[quote="KTPhil"

As an incentive, I am making up shields (inkjet printed on magnetic sheets) and plan to share with fellow SoCal caravaners:

[/quote]

Phil, will you be making these available to others? If so P-mail me about ordering 1 up, and I can send John some money to the charity, or directly to you. I only mention the charity (RMDH), as that's usually where a portion of Invasion related sales go to. Wink
Hopefully you'll get some other Invaders to join your caravan. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

I'd love to, but it sort of depends on how many... the magnetic sheets are only about $3 each, but I print them on my photo ink jet printer, and an ink set runs about $300. I'm not sure how much ink these take, but hopefully not much since it is light-colored (the background is not white).

Someone did silkscreened ones for the Type 3 Rally two years ago; that might actually be more economical. I'll ask around and see what they did. It would be more durable than an inkjet printed shield anyway.

Stay tuned...

UPDATE:
Quick answer from our generous Rally provider (Scott, aka t3kg) revealed a local commercial place that can get the price down to about $4 or so in volume of a few dozen. They are not silkscreened, but they are a waterproof ink on the same kind of magnetic sheet. If there is interest I'll have them made and bring them to the Invasion.

Still, those who caravan would get them for the incoming trip!
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Is it an optical illusion or is your over rider crooked/angled in toward the center of the bumper?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Illusion, I think. The iPhone may have some rectilinear distortion. I'll check tonight, but I think they are in line with the centerline of the car, but with the bumper blade curving near the edges slightly, it won't be square to the main blade.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I'd love to, but it sort of depends on how many... the magnetic sheets are only about $3 each, but I print them on my photo ink jet printer, and an ink set runs about $300. I'm not sure how much ink these take, but hopefully not much since it is light-colored (the background is not white).

Someone did silkscreened ones for the Type 3 Rally two years ago; that might actually be more economical. I'll ask around and see what they did. It would be more durable than an inkjet printed shield anyway.

Stay tuned...

UPDATE:
Quick answer from our generous Rally provider (Scott, aka t3kg) revealed a local commercial place that can get the price down to about $4 or so in volume of a few dozen. They are not silkscreened, but they are a waterproof ink on the same kind of magnetic sheet. If there is interest I'll have them made and bring them to the Invasion.

Still, those who caravan would get them for the incoming trip!

Ok, thanks for checking into it. Let me know if you end up making some.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

I just made arrangements to come to the invasion. I'll be driving up from Tucson in my Garnet Red 1966 Fastback. Looking forward to the event! Very Happy
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Man, I'm jealous. I'm hoping the next Invasion will be a little closer, so maybe I can make it. I just can't spare the time it would take to drive to Arizona and back, but here's hoping all Invaders have a great time! And post plenty of pictures! Cool
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

I too was really wanting to make this invasion but as things worked out Its just not going to happen. My place will still be available to Invaders planning to travel threw Colorado. Come by spend the night go for a soak in the hot tub and let Ellen and I cook you a meal. More important come check out my square! Cool
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Updated the Invaders map and list again. A few folks have had a change of plans and aren't going to be able to make it, but I also added some more new Invaders. Up to 54!

Ken & Sue and I just about have the details worked out for the Saturday dinner. I will be posting details to the website and elsewhere tomorrow evening. Please stay tuned.

Just over 3 weeks until we head West!
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Updated SoCal caravan route and schedule, still tentative.

Depart Thousand Oaks 7 am Thursday.

I've coordinated with Lee Hedges in San Diego area, and we will have four radios among the caravan in case we need any unexpected stops or help.

Meet in Redlands near US-10 (exact location TBD), fed, gassed and ready to depart from there at about 10:45.

From there, freeway speeds of about 55 assumed. We can go faster if the group wants; with the radios we can cool it if needed. Fuel stops less than 200 miles apart. Eat before we leave Redlands; one more fuel & meal stop about 2:30 to 3 in Quartzsite. Then on to Prescott by about 6:30 for dinner, beer, and gas!

A bit over 9 hours driving end to end. Elapsed time a bit over 12 hours including stops. These are conservative, and allow for a photo or other stops along the way.

Subject to further changes as we hear from others who may join us along the way.

Anyone joining us should PM me with cell/city/email info so we can coordinate.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon May 23, 2016 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Thanks KTPhil. I'll be leaving LA Thursday so I'll miss the caravan out there. I'm up for caravanning back with everyone on Sunday though.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:
Thanks KTPhil. I'll be leaving LA Thursday so I'll miss the caravan out there. I'm up for caravanning back with everyone on Sunday though.

When on Thursday? That's our driving day, too!
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

I'll be heading out Thursday night after work (around 7pm). We're probably gonna sleep in Quartzite, then wake up early Friday so we're in Prescott by about 10am.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Anyone familiar with the last leg from the west? Is the route I listed good? I expect there are few services there, so an alternative would be to skirt around Phoenix before heading north. I'd prefer the scenic route and that's our baseline; but if services are valuable, there may be alternatives, especially if someone is coming in the dark.
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

You mean the last leg as in from Quartzite to Prescott via the 60? It's definitely more scenic and beautiful than the 10 through phoenix. It's a small 2-lane road that goes through a handful of small towns. I recall Salome, Aguila and Yarnell being the "larger" towns. Probably a couple gas stations in each. I doubt you'd find any VW mechanics in those towns, so if you need a tow, they'll probably tow you to Wickenburg, Prescott or Phoenix anyways.

If anyone is nervous about your car's ability to drive 2-3 hours without an auto parts store, then you may want to go through Phoenix. That'll add about 2 hours to your trip though.

The AZ guys can probably speak better to this than I can - I haven't done the 60 in about 8 years.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:
You mean the last leg as in from Quartzite to Prescott via the 60? It's definitely more scenic and beautiful than the 10 through phoenix. It's a small 2-lane road that goes through a handful of small towns. I recall Salome, Aguila and Yarnell being the "larger" towns. Probably a couple gas stations in each. I doubt you'd find any VW mechanics in those towns, so if you need a tow, they'll probably tow you to Wickenburg, Prescott or Phoenix anyways.

If anyone is nervous about your car's ability to drive 2-3 hours without an auto parts store, then you may want to go through Phoenix. That'll add about 2 hours to your trip though.

The AZ guys can probably speak better to this than I can - I haven't done the 60 in about 8 years.

Thanks for the tips; that was exactly what I wanted to know.

Any scenic areas/turnouts along that route where we might gather for a Caravan photo?
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Updated SoCal caravan route and schedule, still tentative.

Depart Thousand Oaks 7 am Thursday.

I've coordinated with Lee Hedges in San Diego area, and we will have four radios among the caravan in case we need any unexpected stops or help.

Meet in Redlands near US-10 (exact location TBD), fed, gassed and ready to depart from there at about 10:45.

From there, freeway speeds of about 55 assumed. We can go faster if the group wants; with the radios we can cool it if needed. Fuel stops less than 200 miles apart. Eat before we leave Redlands; one more fuel & meal stop about 2:30 to 3 in Quartzsite. Then on to Prescott by about 6:30 for dinner, beer, and gas!

A bit over 9 hours driving end to end. Elapsed time a bit over 12 hours including stops. These are conservative, and allow for a photo or other stops along the way.

Subject to further changes as we hear from others who may join us along the way.

Anyone joining us should PM me with cell/city/email info so we can coordinate.

Wait 55 mph drive ???? Shame on you

Razorboy can do that in (R). Gear Wink
Or
That's like going 3rd gear for 8 hours Shocked

How about 56mph so I can shift 4th gear Smile
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Lol! I assumed a conservative 55 in case we had folks who weren't confident pushing their cars faster in the desert heat. I also figured we would have 1 or 2 unscheduled stops for bio or for a vista point/group photo, lowering the leg average. I usually beat my ET estimates by 10-20%.

I expect we can run 65-70 on the desert flats, unless someone takes exception. We will also have radios so if someone has any trouble keeping up we can chat and adjust as needed.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Lol! I assumed a conservative 55 in case we had folks who weren't confident pushing their cars faster in the desert heat. I also figured we would have 1 or 2 unscheduled stops for bio or for a vista point/group photo, lowering the leg average. I usually beat my ET estimates by 10-20%.

I expect we can run 65-70 on the desert flats, unless someone takes exception. We will also have radios so if someone has any trouble keeping up we can chat and adjust as needed.

Yes, the caravan is only as fast as the SLOWEST car.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 17

Jump to: