Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump replacement problem
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump replacement problem Reply with quote

Hi all, my van died on me last week and I suspected it was the fuel pump. It has been noisy for a while. I had a new Bosch pump on hand so today swapped it in. Now the van won't start. I pulled the bleed screw at the fuel line t-fitting in the engine bay and jumpered the pump to run at the relay and there is no fuel getting to the engine. I can hear the pump running and it comes on twice when the key is first turned, so I think the pump is okay. My thought is that the pump is not priming because the van is parked on a slight hill with the front facing downhill. Does this make sense? Any other ideas?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump replacement problem Reply with quote

Did you accidentally reverse the wires on the pump when you installed it?
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump replacement problem Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

I don't think so. Mine had a blue + smaller wire and larger black - wire. Would the pump even come on with them reversed cuz I hear it buzzing.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump replacement problem Reply with quote

aberg83 wrote:

. Would the pump even come on with them reversed cuz I hear it buzzing.

Yes it would. It's just an electric motor. If you reverse the wires, you reverse the rotation, wchich would cause the symptoms you describe.
Just give it a shot!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump replacement problem Reply with quote

If the tank is clogged, that may have been the problem all along. The new pump is starving for fuel if it's wired correctly. The pump should have a + and - on the terminal area.

You could get a length of hose for the pump pickup and set it in a gas can and see if the pump primes and then the engine starts. If that works, you've isolated the tank as the problem.

edit: plus I recall a thread where an experienced member went through a similar situation to find the tank was empty.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump replacement problem Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

Bingo! That was the problem. I feel like an idiot. Thanks guys.

Swapped wires and it runs like a dream. Much quieter now too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: