Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

After approximately 5000 miles the replacement boots have or are failing. 2 have split, one has a significant crack and looks like it will split shortly. And the forth, well it is the original. Still fine and crack free. There is no play in any of the ball joints and the bus tracks straight on the road. Shocks were replaced at the same time. Front end is tight.

Bus has approximately 119,000 miles on it and will have its 38th birthday at the end of the month.

This is what I used:

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D498%2D001%2D4

Is there anything out there currently that is of decent quality. I do not want to replace the ball joints to get decent boots as the boots may be not much better from what I have seen. And I do not know if the suggestions that I read in older posts would apply to stock available today.

Comments suggestions?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Ball-Joint-Boot-1968-79-VW-Bus-211-405-375A-p/211-405-375a.htm
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

Yup. Plenty of choices out there both in N. America and Europe. I have seen most of the ads. But are any of them any good. Need that "been there done that" experience. Thanks all the same.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

Aircooled.net tends to have very good stuff, as does a place like CB Performance. If you buy from CIP then you can expect a lower quality product. The boots I bought from BusBoys a decade plus ago still look very good, don't know who made them though and am not sure BusBoys is still in business.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

I found two different aftermarket boots for off-doad racing. They "might" fit a bus joint. Measure the diameter of your joint where the boot lip is and post it. I have no bus joints in ky posession at the moment.

These boots come in Viton for high temp and chemical proof and they come in Chlorinated Neoprene (chloroprene).....also very chemical proof.

One boot design requires a normal type of expander ring and the other one has a nice groove for a zip tie on the other. I will get some pics in the next day or so and post the vendor. They run about $6 each. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

Info for some Nakata bus BJ's I have:

-- large end of boot sits in a groove 47 mm diam X 4 mm wide.

-- small end of boot seats on taper of BJ pin. On the upper BJ's (with the adjusting bushing), the seat diameter will be
somewhat larger than on the lowers, but will not exceed 22 mm. I don't think the seat on the lowers can be any smaller than 21 mm.

No reason I can think of that other brands of BJ's will be the same, but I did take a boot off one of my Nakata's to replace
a torn original, and it seemed to fit fine.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

I thought I had some links for Neoprene boots. But I can't find them.

Hey ray, can you take look at this old ad. Go down to the description.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221446183562?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Info for some Nakata bus BJ's I have:

-- large end of boot sits in a groove 47 mm diam X 4 mm wide.

-- small end of boot seats on taper of BJ pin. On the upper BJ's (with the adjusting bushing), the seat diameter will be
somewhat larger than on the lowers, but will not exceed 22 mm. I don't think the seat on the lowers can be any smaller than 21 mm.

No reason I can think of that other brands of BJ's will be the same, but I did take a boot off one of my Nakata's to replace
a torn original, and it seemed to fit fine.

The boots I am,speaking of are made for and by this company....because they manufacture racing ball joints and tie rod ends.

The on-line ball joint accesories section does not have complete info and the pictures do not do these justice. I just got a new hard copy catalog two weeks ago. When i get in this weekend I will scan and post the pages.

http://howeracing.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=Ball+joint+boots

http://howeracing.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=Viton+Ball+joint+boots

They are superb quality. The zip tie boot fits my 412 perfectly....and those ball joints are huge. The other nin zip tie boot is too large for my joints...making it just about bus size. Superb quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

Well it looks like some good info is coming together. I do have one new spare ball joint made by Flennor. The large end of the boot sits in a groove 48mm in diameter and 4mm wide. The small end sits on the shaft that is 22.1mm in diameter. The boot appears to be of good quality.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

Somebody should be able to make contact with a ball joint manufacture (or remanufacturer) and just buy the boots. I used to have the contact info for a remanufacturer in Puebla, Mex but doubt that I could find it any more, but others might know.

Another thought would be to find boots for the tierods on heavy trucks. Some big rig probably uses a tie rod with a boot about the same size as a Transporter ball joint.

These seem pretty close in size, I am sure there are others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Polyboots-Polyurethane-...1756782507
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

Those are polyurethane. Not good at all for greases, flexibility etc. As they note....those are "gaitors"......or "overboots". They are very similar to the urethane boot covers that energy suspension sells. If its all you have in a pinch.....better than nothing. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I thought I had some links for Neoprene boots. But I can't find them.

Hey ray, can you take look at this old ad. Go down to the description.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221446183562?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The ones they listed as "poly-boots".....are urethane......some of the worst material for this purpose.

But.....interesting.....on the same page......these list as silicone http://m.ebay.com/itm/2-X-UNIVERSAL-Dust-Boot-Sili...0408.m2460

Silicone can be very good. Just do not use it with black moly type, greases unless you know its formulation. Ray
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

Well we may have a culprit here. After making sure there was no crud in and around the joint, I did add some moly grease into the boot area when I installed the boots. I have been using this grease for years without issue on a variety of applicstions. Wonder if there was a compatibility issue between the grease and the boots. There was no warning or instructions with the boots as to grease type. Who knows what they were made of.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Ball-Joint-Boot-1968-79-VW-Bus-211-405-375A-p/211-405-375a.htm

Those look interesting. The BuyBoys boots I bought right before they closed shop last about 10k miles before they start ripping. I'm about to replace one this weekend, then I'll be out of boots. (I bought enough to last "a lifetime" said the guy on the phone…) Shocked

My curiosity with the AC.net boots is their lack of pleats. I don't know if this is good or bad, but my current boots always seem to rip at the pleats. Any thoughts?

Off to go get greasy…
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Those look interesting. The BuyBoys boots I bought right before they closed shop last about 10k miles before they start ripping. I'm about to replace one this weekend, then I'll be out of boots. (I bought enough to last "a lifetime" said the guy on the phone…) Shocked

My curiosity with the AC.net boots is their lack of pleats. I don't know if this is good or bad, but my current boots always seem to rip at the pleats. Any thoughts?

Off to go get greasy…
Robbie

What do you mean by "pleats"? While the picture in this add looks suspiciously like a generic "tie-rod" boot picture...the shape is correct for a properly molded boot.

I have no idea what its made of unless I buy one.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=tie+rod+boot

Most of these...are urethane on this page. They suck because they are nearly 80 duro...to hard to flex, cannot be clamped down and they float.

On the other hand...if they are the right size....when fitted over an existing dust boot...they are great to prevent abrasion to the real boot in off-road.

As you noticed...a big problem with some of the rubber compounds out there...even though they may be good with water, ozone, cold, heat etc....can have problems with certain petroleum products in greases.

Greases are thickened oils. You have to remember that.

EPR and EPDM boots will die a quick death with petroleum greases but should do well with most full synthetic. Vitons can do really well with petroleum distillates but can have some issues in areas of high ozone and moisture....and that IS simply a quality issue (what grade of viton).

Neoprenes are somewhere in between. Good outdoors and in ozone etc. You have to know what kind of neoprene. I use synthetic grease ONLY on neoprene or chloroprene. Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

What do you mean by "pleats"?

The originalTransporter boots are somewhat like bellows in shape, they could be said to have pleats.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

Ah.....thank you for the pleat explanation!

I have been calling that the TRW style....only because a lot of late TRW suspension parts (mostly tie rod ends) have been coming with accordion or bellows style boots.

I have no exact data......but I have always had issues with bellows style rubbsr parts like the master cylinder boots from ATE etc.....cracking at the pleats.

As one who works in the injection molding world.....its most probably because of a combination of issues. The molds are heated and the thjn edges get the hottest.

Overheating rubber in the molding process can over-vulcanize it. Also.....in thin products,like a boot.....as the rubber is quickly trying to flow full length of the mold during the "shot".....it has a hard time making corners and zig zags in such a narrow space....especially if the mold has hot and cold spots.

I would think a pleated or bellows style boot wod have more issues. Ray
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I would think a pleated or bellows style boot wod have more issues.

Excellent, thanks. Yes, Wildthings, that's the accordion "pleat" I meant. Smile

I'm going to buy a few from a few different sources… Right now I'm off to change the left lower in the 102° sun. Mad

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

Ok so which ones should I choose? Again, based on what is "currently available" and what has "actually worked and been trouble free" in the last 5 years and 10,000 miles.
jeb1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Boots - are there quality replacements? Reply with quote

So from the posts above, anyone know what works?

I have a somewhat different problem on a 1968 bus. All four boots are shot from sitting for years. I ended buying the 4 piece set from CIP1 since I had other parts to order... and they do not fit.

The upper part of the boot that is supposed to fit into the groove in the ball joint does not, it's too thick, by roughly 1 mm. So what happens is that it slips over the wider bottom part but will not settle in the groove, so you cannot secure the boot.

The ball joints appear to be original as they are stamped VW. They feel good and are able to be greased and flushed due to a threaded cap in them, so I'd like to keep them and not replace them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: