Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inability to get feeler gauge in for valve setting# 4 intake
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawgout81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Inability to get feeler gauge in for valve setting# 4 intake Reply with quote

I was adjusting my valves on my Trike and was unable to get the feeler gauge in-between the the rocker arm and the spring retainer washer. No matter how far I backed out the adjustment bolt, there was no clearance in the # 4 intake valve. It was also very tight in the #4 exhaust, but was able to get that one set to .006.

I bought the trike about a year ago. It was built in 1996 using a VW engine built in Brazil (I think the previous owner got it from MOFOCO), but not totally sure. It is a 1600 (maybe 1641 cc).

I am not the world's most knowledgeable person when it comes to things mechanical, but I've been reading and studying (Hanes, Muir, youtube, Samba, etc) in order to treat this engine and vehicle right and have a pretty decent understanding of what is going on overall with this engine.

My questions are?
1. What is wrong with my engine that #4 intake doesn't have a gap. I've double/triple checked to make sure I am in proper TDC position and rotor is correct....not the problem. All the other cylinders and valves adjust out fine. I am adjusting to .006. The washer at the end of the spring assemble also showed that it has been hitting on a part from the rocker arm (scuffed and can visibly see it.)

2. I am adjusting when stone cold.

3. Is this likely just a valve problem? If so, what is my best fix?
4. Is there another problem/s I should be checking for? If so what?
5. Is there something I may have done that caused this problem to try and avoid in the future?

I have put about 3200 miles on this trike since I bought it. It has around 30,000 on it (supposedly) and this problem also showed itself in performance last Sunday at the end of a ride with reduced power and a missing in the engine.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say either valve seat recession (the valves have worn themselves into the seats, or the case hardening on the tip of the stem has worn through and the softer steel underneath has been worn down by the rocker. I have a BMW engine with the second problem. I have a couple old Indian Sport Scout barrels with the first problem. It was more common before they had the harder valve seats they have now.

http://www.brentsmotorworks.com/valve-adjust/

Pulling a head on a VW engine is no big deal. You probably can do it without even pulling the engine from the trike. Pull em, get a valve job, reassemble as per your manual and back on the road.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=540805
dawgout81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I'll get after it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it doesn't have hydraulic lifters?

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgout81 wrote:

I have put about 3200 miles on this trike since I bought it. It has around 30,000 on it (supposedly) and this problem also showed itself in performance last Sunday at the end of a ride with reduced power and a missing in the engine.

Doesn't seem likely since it was running normally for 3000 miles but then it lost power and began to miss. If its missing on the same cylinder he can't gap now, that strongly indicates a valve problem, hydraulic lifters are usually fit and forget.

If they were hydraulic he'd probably notice by the way it would start out loud then quiet down. It would probably also have a separate oil filter system plumbed into the case. I don't think there are that many otherwise "stock" bug engines with hydraulic lifters. If this engine has been hopped up, maybe. How can he tell for sure without tearing apart the case?
dawgout81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help.

I now have the cylinder head off and at the shop. The # 4 valves visibly looked to be further in than # 3, so it seems to be the problem.

The machine shop are likely to get a chance to look at it today to get exact measurements and hopefully a solution.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: