Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Goose's 65' Oval VOLKSROD (Haters KEEP OUT!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get this car from victor by chance?
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh... the smell of fresh cut metal in the morning.. Gonna be sharp.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goose65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghia Nut wrote:
did you get this car from victor by chance?

Actually, his Father Carlos, about a months before his passing. But finalized the deal with Victor.
Goose65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouBugMe58 wrote:
Very nice build, I like the idea. You wanted some constructive critasisum. I like clean lines, is there something you can do to get rid of the handle on front. Either just take it off or maybe do a French cut of some kind. With all the work you are putting in it just makes since to make the front your focal point.
Just a thought, keep up the good work. Will be watching.

That sounds like a good idea. But how do I still keep the front lid lockable and easy to open/close Question
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose65 wrote:
YouBugMe58 wrote:
Very nice build, I like the idea. You wanted some constructive critasisum. I like clean lines, is there something you can do to get rid of the handle on front. Either just take it off or maybe do a French cut of some kind. With all the work you are putting in it just makes since to make the front your focal point.
Just a thought, keep up the good work. Will be watching.

That sounds like a good idea. But how do I still keep the front lid lockable and easy to open/close Question

Im not an expert but the handle does not hold it down. However the latch pin is mounted using the handle. I have seen this done but didnt pay attention how they did it. Maybe weld a nut or bolt on the underside to attach the latch pin to, the pin is spring loaded so should just pop up. I have seen one using a leather strap but thats just not a clean look. Defeats the reason for removing it. (IMHO).
Only 3 things matter in life, Those you Love, Those whom Love you and Your final Destination! Enjoy Them.
Seriously - If there is something you don't like about my car keep it to yourself.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose65 wrote:

If you want permanent, weld the latch pin bracket to the hood (no studs) in the spot it needs to be to operate. Delete the handle... in other words "nose it".. Wink
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PF63bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you consider lifting the back instead of lowering it to give it a real aggressive stance?

Love the two tone black with gloss and matte
Goose65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Goose65 wrote:

If you want permanent, weld the latch pin bracket to the hood (no studs) in the spot it needs to be to operate. Delete the handle... in other words "nose it".. Wink

Thanks for the idea.
Goose65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PF63bug wrote:
Did you consider lifting the back instead of lowering it to give it a real aggressive stance?

Love the two tone black with gloss and matte

I already lowered the rear. I just wanted the rear wheels to be straight, minimal camber + or -. Now I want to make the front beam adjustable and lower the front some. To give it a slight rake/mean look.
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good keep it up and post more pic's. Cool
Tim
Goose65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where I got the paint idea from. Its a Factory Five Roadster.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to popular belief I am NOT a purist! I like a cool car regardless of what it is or what it started as.

Looks like you are well on your way to a very interesting ride!

Just a few comments. You are BACKWARDS on your tire selection. That should be your LAST purchase before you are ready to roll out, not one of the first!

Projects take time and unless it is going to be ready to roll in just a couple weeks, you don’t want to buy your tires early on.

With time, the rubber ages and it gets hard. You won’t be able to see it or feel it, but the tires loose their ability to grip the pavement. The result is often long term projects that end up wrecked or in the ditch soon after rolling out of the garage for the first time.

It looks like you are making some pretty serious progress, but keep the tire thing in mind and if takes more then a year to complete, you may want to consider new rubber just before rolling it out.

The other thing is depending on your taste, now may be a really good time to consider a transmission raise.

You have big wide tires on the rear and with no fenders they are going to be all out there in the visible world. With a swing axle if you drop the rear ride height, you are going to get a lot of negative camber.

A 12 inch wide tire like that with negative camber is only going to give you 2 to 3 inches of contact on the road. The rest of the tread surface will be off the ground.

Raising the tranny will allow you to have a lower stance in the rear and still keep the tires closer to being upright and your full contact patch on the pavement.

Now’s the time to consider doing that! It will only add a few more hours to your build at this point and will improve the ride and handling tremendously.

You may need to fabricate a cool looking box to put your new cool looking shifter on up front, but that’s no big deal. You could use the same open style of the cheese holed shifter and steering wheel and make a box that would mount to the tunnel with the stock mounting bolts and holes. Your shifter would bolt to the top of that and your shift rod would be above the tunnel.

Too bad you fixed up the luggage tray first. It may need to get a few modifications for the shift rod if you do decide to raise the tranny.
Goose65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
... Just a few comments. You are BACKWARDS on your tire selection. That should be your LAST purchase before you are ready to roll out, not one of the first!

... The other thing is depending on your taste, now may be a really good time to consider a transmission raise.

You have big wide tires on the rear and with no fenders they are going to be all out there in the visible world. With a swing axle if you drop the rear ride height, you are going to get a lot of negative camber...

Thanks for the comments. I already have the tires as you can see in the pictures. Plus I have already lowered the rear as much as I want it to go, using drop plates. So those two thigs are set already. I'm going to make an adjustable bean to lower the front to give it a slight rake look.
I thought about doing a Transmission raise, but desided against it. I did not want to modify the inside tooo much, since its going to be a "family car" at times, plus there are plenty of other mods to keep me bussy.

Here are a few pictures to show what Im talking about.

Zarzamora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:

The other thing is depending on your taste, now may be a really good time to consider a transmission raise.

You have big wide tires on the rear and with no fenders they are going to be all out there in the visible world. With a swing axle if you drop the rear ride height, you are going to get a lot of negative camber.

A 12 inch wide tire like that with negative camber is only going to give you 2 to 3 inches of contact on the road. The rest of the tread surface will be off the ground.

Raising the tranny will allow you to have a lower stance in the rear and still keep the tires closer to being upright and your full contact patch on the pavement.

Now’s the time to consider doing that! It will only add a few more hours to your build at this point and will improve the ride and handling tremendously.

Is there any other way to get rid of the negative camber? I’m building a Volksrod myself and I want to run a 15 - 31” tall tire and I don’t want to have to do a tranny raise because I want to keep the deckled. I was thinking about purchasing some drop plates and notching the rear 1 click but I know the negative camber is going to be an issue. Just wondering what other options are out there besides doing the trans. raise?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarzamora wrote:
Is there any other way to get rid of the negative camber?

Go with a post 68 transaxle, IRS arms and CV joints. Its not too bad of a conversion, and you can create the amount of camber you want in during the conversion.
You can get a little Camber relief with just rasing the rear transaxle mounting.
Usually and often edited
Goose65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
You can get a little Camber relief with just rasing the rear transaxle mounting.

What's the highest you can go without having to do other modifications?
1", 2",...? I would dought anything more than that...
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose65 wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

What's the highest you can go without having to do other modifications?
1", 2",...? I would dought anything more than that...

Each car is a little different. Best thing to do is just do some measuring. 1 inch is easy and usually doesn t create any issues. 1-2 is usually the range without any serious problems or cutting. Ive witnessed a few angled so high the fan shroud almost hits the firewall. Some also have rain tray mods to allow the shroud to clear, and of course no concern of engine bay sealing. In other words.. non traditinal cars with plenty of available fresh air. It puts a strain on the shift coupler, and the front mount needs to be shimmed to help ease the new angled stress... or....I suggest solid mount at all points...
Dont even think about fluid levels...
Usually and often edited
Goose65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think about this? What mods would be needed? or is it a straight up install?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/RLR-1-Transmission-Raise-Kit-Swing-Axle-Trans-p/52-900-101.htm
Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose65 wrote:
What do you think about this? What mods would be needed? or is it a straight up install?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/RLR-1-Transmission-Raise-Kit-Swing-Axle-Trans-p/52-900-101.htm

If it were me, I wouldn't even bother for a 1" lift. Get the 4" version. You'll need to modify the rear tray and run the shift rod on the top of the tunnel but who cares, it's a heavily modified car.
Goose65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidpainter wrote:
Goose65 wrote:

If it were me, I wouldn't even bother for a 1" lift. Get the 4" version. You'll need to modify the rear tray and run the shift rod on the top of the tunnel but who cares, it's a heavily modified car.

Well, you said it. Its a heavily modified car... I would like to finish it some day... lol. Plus Im not much a fan of having the rod outside the tunnel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: