Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear apron replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
novice bug guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Rear apron replacement Reply with quote

Hello,
Im currently in the process of restoring a '73 standard. Doing this I realized that I have to replace the rear apron. I just now got the part to do so and am ready to tackle the task. the only problem is I'm not sure where to start.
Any tips or suggestions?
baxsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need photos.

You probably need to think of it as body work, perhaps mild collision repair.

Do not just think of it as a parts replacement.

I am so not an expert, but here is what I have heard and what I am in the process of doing.

1) Do not remove the old part first thing. Straighten the old part as much as possible in place so it will push the parts it is connected to back into place.

2) Be very careful when removing the old part to not damage of bend the parts it is connected to. Maybe cut the old part along its flange, leaving the old part's flange welded to the body, then grind the spot welds down, through the old part's flange until they release with a gentle pry of a screwdriver. If you use an air chisel, you will likely muck up the mating part's flange, which would then need repair.

3) place the new part, but do not weld it

4) make sure the deck lid is properly aligned at the top and sides, maybe remove its latch so it does not get stuck down. Then close the deck lid and use that to make sure the new apron will be in the correct place to where the gap is consistent..

5) weld the new part in place, undercoat or thermal insulation on the underside, then paint on the top.

6) Instead of welding, you might want to consider making the rear apron removable. That is a fairly popular mod and it makes removing the engine cake.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Again, I am a beginner like you, this is just how I would approach it. Hopefully some of the more experienced old pros will chim in and fix my errors.
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Rear Apron Replacement Reply with quote

Replacing the rear apron is a fairly easy job. You will need two or three spot weld drills to cut out the old spot welds. A grinder to smooth everything and prep for fitting and welding. A good mig welder with 22 ga wire. We did not make ours removable as we wanted the extra support and strength. I have pasted a link below to Noah's rear apron replacement.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=80
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm by no means a bodywork guy, but I was given a `74 that was drilled in the back and patched it back together with OEM sheetmetal sourced off scrap cars to avoid poor fitting/thin replacement panels. I ordered some Blair spot weld cutters, but they got lost in transit and I ended up using a std. drill bit and chisel Laughing I did the same thing on my first car, except using a replacement panel was a little more difficult.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=136452&start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: