Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quarter window installation pop outs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michaellatini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Hello all,

I lost my disassembly pictures for the quarter windows, so...

Need some advice for installing quarter windows.

I am re-installing using the same rubber seals. I have a few problems. First is, do I have to cut the old seal because it somehow grew or, does it get tucked up under the top of the, B pillar? Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Second problem is, the aluminum seems too long as well. I used the original aluminum and the screws are in the correct holes so, it makes no sense.

First thing checked was the rear mounting perch and, the original spacers are on both sides of the car and the door gaps are the same so, that's not it. The head liner is thicker vinyl but not by the amount of overlap shown in the second picture.

Last question. Does anything go in the gap above the wind lacing and the bottom of the B pillar? Seems like water could get in.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Michael.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

1. Don't cut the seals! Start tucking the seal from both ends and the "additional" lenght will be spread across the entire seal channel.

2. The thicker headliner, the thicker seal under the aluminium channel - all those things "helps" with such results. Cut a small portion from both channels so the holes still fit.

3. The seal under the aluminium channel is cut to such shape that fill the gap.

Good luck!

Last edited by Disc on Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michaellatini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, Nick.
I'll give a shot.

M
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Anyone using any sealer or adhesive between the aluminum trim and the rubber gasket? I recall finding traces of rubber cement on the Ghias I took apart.

There also might be some sealant between the rubber gasket and the body. Either that or the rubber broke down over time and became glued to the body.

This is how the aluminum channels become deformed when they're removed. They need to be taken out slowly with a flat paint scraper or they bend.
Michaellatini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

I have put sealant between the body and gasket. Have not needed to put it between window seals and aluminum channel as the gasket fits tight. However, since there was rust on all of the screws holding the aluminum to the body, I put a flexible sealant on all of the screw heads and covering the hole in the aluminum to prevent capillary action from reoccurring.

Hope this helps

M
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: