Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stranded on the way to ALASKA!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Ya, I used to rock Castrol 30 wt cause John Muir is my guru and he said to. But sometimes I used 10/30 in winter.
But then Miles convinced me into believing the Zinc thing. About 32K miles on the motor in the Kombi. My bug has had probably only 30 K miles on that motor since I put it in. I'd have to check the book.
I keep meaning to install gauges...... but I guess it's not the thought that counts. Very Happy Laughing
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I run valvoline 10W-30 racing oil in all my VW's now. Plenty of zinc. I use it year around here in hot Phoenix. These engines in my VW's all have less than 10k miles on them. When I dropped down to 10-30 from 10-40, I saw a decrease in oil temps as the oil gets to the cooler faster.

That's interesting. I found it hard to find a zinc based oil in the USA. I was using Valvoline 20/50 race oil and definitely noticed the engine running quieter with the zinc. What brand of oil is that 10-30 race oil? thanks
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Here's some common oil comparisons...last number is % zinc

Brand VI Flash Pour %ash (%zinc)
20w50 Castrol GTX 122 440 -15 .85 ( .12 )
20w50 Kendall GT-1 129 390 -25 1.0 ( .16 )
20w50 Valvoline Race 140 425 -10 1.2 (.20)

15w40 Kendall GT-1 135 410 -25 1.0 (.16 )
15w40 Shell Rotella w/XLA 146 410 -25 1.0 (.13 )

10w30 Castrol GTX 140 415 -33 .85 (.12)
10w30 Shell Truck Guard 155 405 -35 1.0 (.15 )
10w30 Valvoline Race 130 410 -26 1.2 ( .20)
10w30 Kendall GT-1 139 390 -25 1.0 ( .16)
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Hey Ian. Is this a current list?
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

I'm not sure on the date. It was the only information I could find.
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Corey, are you using a high zinc oil that is 10/ 40?

I have been using a Rislone Zinc additive with regular Chevron oils.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Ian wrote:

This is awesome - thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Ian wrote:

This is awesome - thanks!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, I have been looking for a list that represents "on the shelf" options. I have been using Rotella T 15-40 for the last 5 years 100% in all my old stuff (wait that's all I own!). All good, but I let it warm up nice and easy in cold weather starts. I am very suspicious of proper emulsification when an additive is introduced with out factory procedures. I don't see how a "shake and go" can possibly work correctly.
busbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

X 2 Agreed.

Thanks to Ian for posting this info - this is just what I was looking for.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I don't see how a "shake and go" can possibly work correctly.

I have using this method for at least five years now (not sure how many miles), and so far so good. No flat cams, no broken engines.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: THE END Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I thought I would close this thread and say a final thanks to all the people who helped me within these pages. I know it took a lot of time and patience for you to explain to me the intricate details of building engines through this forum, but believe me I couldn't have done it without you and I do very much appreciate your time, help and most of all your encouragement.

I hope you enjoyed the journey and the important part that you played in making it possible.

I'm still working hard to finish the production of the video series, hoping to get episodes out on Thursdays, they will be available on the Kombi Life YouTube channel if you want to see what happened on the drive to the Arctic.

Here are some pictures I posted in another thread that you probably missed.

Thanks again, really!

Ben

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The original emblem is embossed into the steel, I added this one as I thought it looked better. (picture taken to highlight the national bird of Alaska Wink )

the first day I bought the bus in Santiago

before construction

My project was to offer free accommodation to people that I met along the way - I found it hard to say no. I thought because these buses were used as collective taxis in Latin America that they could handle the weight, but I pushed this kombi too hard too many times

In Mexico I spent 5 months living in a mechanic completely restoring the Kombi. I put in the F.I engine, which caused a lot of divided opinion here on the The Samba, but in the end was the strongest of all the engine configurations I had previously - I would still recommend it.

I lived in the bus like this for months, no windows and water leaking in during rainy season in southern Mex. I got sick, it was hard. The time made me a better person, but not before making me a worse person for a little while.

I met A LOT of mechanics along the way, and learnt something from all of them. Each time the next mechanic would tell me the last one was wrong and so it took a long time to figure out what was right and what was wrong. Ultimately the books were my preferred method of learning (The Samba members sent them me - thanks guys) Some Latino shops refused to carry out work to the specs of the book, which made for long and frustrating rebuilds. I still don't claim to be a mechanic at all but I'm proud that I started the trip not known how to remove spark plugs and ended it knowing how to rebuild an entire engine. I also learnt how to make 'bush fixes' when parts aren't available - which is pretty important for a trip like this.

Probably the biggest lesson I learnt (and it was from TS member busdaddy) is that when something seems wrong, the best course of action is to put all plans on hold and investigate the issue ASAP)

I can't even describe how many people played a part in helping me get from Chile to Alaska - it's amazing how many people offered advice and their time to help me out. I'm especially grateful to everyone on this forum for their patience and support - I literally wouldn't have made it without you.

A typical camp site - this one in Baja Cali

I found someone pretty special on the road too. I met Leah in Mexico, she returned to the Kombi a few times, the last time we decided not to be friends any more. Very Happy You have her to thank for the video at the top.

These two saw us under a bridge in Alaska, head in the engine as per usual, stinking of gasoline, wondering why we kept breaking down every few miles. They drove off 150 miles to Fairbanks to buy a telescopic camera and returned the next day to fish out a piece of tape that was stuck in the gas tank. I'll never forget Steve and Nancy's selfless act of generosity that day in Alaska. This is typical of the love that we've received from our extended VW family, it really is a very special community.

Last challenge for us was the Dalton Highway - a 1000 mile extremely challenging round trip to the Arctic and the end of the longest road in the world.

The end of the road...of this road anyway, I still have a few more I would like to drive...but that is a story for another time.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Most only dream of what you did....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127
Jump to:
Page 127 of 127

Jump to: