Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

I had the same issues with my auto starter, Mexican unit. The rear bushing worn out causing the armature to short on the stater. Replaced it with a bosch unit. Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Just "spit-balling" here, but old starters have brushes that wear out too (four I think?). Not sure if that might be an issue with your used Bosch starter? Also heated old starters after long drive times and not re-starting your vehicle are somewhat common on old VWs. My '67 Campmobile did that sometimes on long journeys. I always tried to shut it down on a slight slope if possible to easily pop-start it by myself. Jumping across the starter posts with a screwdriver always seemed to work well for me too. Are you running a completely stock original used 56 year old wiring harness? Did you add at some point a Ford starter relay or not? Is your ignition switch the original one to the "Toaster" or has it been replaced with a new reproduction? All of those questions and comments are things to consider to possible help figure out the culprit...

Have a great time out there, we are all living your adventures with every post, and you know where we live if you need us!

Bill & Kathryn
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Just "spit-balling" here, but old starters have brushes that wear out too (four I think?). Not sure if that might be an issue with your used Bosch starter? Also heated old starters after long drive times and not re-starting your vehicle are somewhat common on old VWs. My '67 Campmobile did that sometimes on long journeys. I always tried to shut it down on a slight slope if possible to easily pop-start it by myself. Jumping across the starter posts with a screwdriver always seemed to work well for me too. Are you running a completely stock original used 56 year old wiring harness? Did you add at some point a Ford starter relay or not? Is your ignition switch the original one to the "Toaster" or has it been replaced with a new reproduction? All of those questions and comments are things to consider to possible help figure out the culprit...

Have a great time out there, we are all living your adventures with every post, and you know where we live if you need us!

Bill & Kathryn

Thanks Bill!
You've reconfirmed a lot of my thoughts too.
It is, currently, distance/warmth of engine related.
All of my wiring is new as of... when was that, 12 years ago?
Friday morning I will be putting in the other new starter that we got at O'Reilly. As well as doing our 2nd, and last, 3,000 mile tune up of the trip.

My ignition switch IS an original 1967 VW one, but not original to this bus. It is properly keyed, however (one correct key for everything on The Toaster, as a matter of fact/pride), but it is doing it's duty fine.

After Friday with the new starter, I think we'll be fine, and when we have needed to, there's been no problems push starting. I even popped it into gear/started it once, in reverse in Ashville in front of a hotel by rolling backwards with gravity.

More pictures to be seen on Instagram [ THETOASTER67 ] and Facebook (until May when I'll post some retrospective posts here on TheSamba), but here's some as Kathy is driving us to Memphis..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Knoxville:

Third Man Records in Nashville:

Dinner in Nashville (farm to table):

Loretta Lynn's Kitchen and Ranch in TN where some employees are laying down on the job:

Next up?
Graceland, Sun Studios, Civil Rights Museum
Yep; MEMPHIS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
comcam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Awesome trip so far, you can came right by me, I am under Nashville.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

The trip continues to be a great and fun time!

The above map is even missing some of the Black line that shows where this trip has taken us.

We are currently in Hot Springs, AK, and will likely be in Tulsa tonight.

Yesterday, April 21st, 2023 I did what should be our last 3,000-mile tune-up of the trip, and I also put the new starter in.
So far; FANTASTIC.

My brother and his wife had flown to Memphis where we picked them up and brought them to Charleston, Mississippi where my brother's mother-in-law lives.
It was wonderful to spend time with all of them. It was also the perfect place to do the tune-up, under a large car port as it rainednon-stop yesterday morning.

Oh; Memphis...

Elvis' dune buggy:

Sun studios:

Truly, I will do some retrospective posts about the trip in May after we are home with more photos and such, but I hope these tastes of the trip fit the bill in the meantime.

Friendly folks in Hot Springs, AK;

jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

So,....are you guys driving backroads or the interstate? Or both. I myself stay off the interstate as much as possible. Have a great trip you two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

jeffavatech wrote:
So,....are you guys driving backroads or the interstate? Or both. I myself stay off the interstate as much as possible. Have a great trip you two.

Thanks jeffavatech!

We do a combination, depending on what we are trying to see, how much time we have, and how soon we need to get somewhere.

Definitely back roads as/when we can.
Yesterday on nice 55mph roads most of the way out of Mississippi and into Arkansas was fantastic.

Interstates we're very used to (living in California), and although not as enjoyable, we're as vigilant as we can be of all the other idiot drivers.
Cruising speed for us on an Interstate is typically comfortable 63mph, occasionally (but rarely), taking us up to 65, 67+ if something demands it in a brief burst of 'speed'.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Glad you got the starter in and looking forward to more updates Bryce and Kathy. I've been following you two on Facebook also. You motivate all of us.

BTW my dream home, so utilitarian Cool

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

More from the road...

Had I mentioned we got to visit with my brother and his wife (pictured middle, above) at Annastasia's mom's house in Mississippi?
Just wanted to include a "people" pic too...

Had an exciting, friendly, wonderful Westfalia meet-up thanks to Adam as we approached Tulsa.
He arranged that himself and Dwayne meet us at The Blue Whale on Route 66.

Great folks, great buses, great times!
Kathy enjoyed meeting them too, but she did/had caught a cold that she's been suffering through.
In an abundance of caution, we checked if it was Covid (it was not).
She's already completely on the mend, and driving as I type this.

I encourage you to look at my photos where you can see more pictures of Adam and Dwayne's buses!

Had "Puffy Tacos: while staying on Tulsa:

We've been continuing on Route66 (often the 40) heading west...

Recently made it back to New Mexico...

More later; having a blast! Hope to see you all out on the road!
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Looks like a great trip. You might want to drop a mention into "Road Trips Over 1000 Miles" thread here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=557852&highlight=road+trips+over
when you are finished. I like to see the distance travel highlighted.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Hope y'all had a good time in Memphis, I would have enjoyed meeting you both if I'd seen this thread a few days ago! I grew up in Greenwood and camped many years at camp Tallaha in Charleston as a teenager in boy scouts.

Hot Springs is definitely a great little town to enjoy.. good choice!

Also, the rotating portion of the starter motor is not what commonly fails, it's the solenoid that usually causes slow or no starts. The internal contact bar will develop pitting and burning as the DC current arcs on it during key cycles. That creates high resistance over time, causing the slow or no start. You can sometimes take the solenoid apart, rotate the bar around and clean it with scotchbrite, and get another life out of it, but I think it depends on what brand of solenoid and how it is assembled.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

It was great to meet you both! I'm glad we were able to connect. There's something unique about seeing a bus that you know has just clocked some serious miles. It's not the same feeling as seeing buses at a show.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Details below... in Huntington Beach, CA today Friday, April 28th, 2023. Come meet up with us!
---------------------------------------
Okie Adam wrote:
It was great to meet you both! I'm glad we were able to connect. There's something unique about seeing a bus that you know has just clocked some serious miles. It's not the same feeling as seeing buses at a show.

Thanks Adam! It was great to see you too and I really hope we can see you out on the west coast sometime soon!

---------------------------------------
Sorry for a delay on a more recent update, but it is now Friday, April 28th, 2023 and we have three days left to this great cross-country and back!

I am writing this from my childhood home in Hunting Beach, California where Kathy and I decided to alter our return route and surprise my mom.

We are hoping to meet up with other VW folks while here.
We were trying to think of a place that other folks/friends and VWs can all meet up if you have a moment.
We'd love to see you, your bus (or other air-cooled VW) and just meet and greet!

We will be in the parking lot of Riip Brewery from 5pm until 7pm TODAY.
Friday, April 28th, 2023
17214 E Pacific Coast Hwy, Huntington Beach, CA 92649

It is right over near where Warner meets PCH at Sunset Beach (aka Tin Can Beach)
There's the brewery, a pizza place, and a Mediterranean restaurant all right there to grab something for some parking-lot talk.

If you can come out and say hi, with, or without your VW, that would be great!

-----------------------------------------

While in Vegas we had a great time thanks to fantastic VW folks!
We got to meet and visit with ronjonlasvegas and his wife Jodi.
Got to see two of his amazing buses (more on those later)...

Also, thanks to Jon, we got to meet Bill T. who invited us to discuss our trip (this one, and the one we did in 2017) on his podcast, "Let's Talk Dubs".
He has already put out the episode! Here it is:

https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-215-cross-country-road-trip-with-bryce-kathy

Bill T:

Besides talking bout the trip, we also spoke about what an amazing space/resource TheSamba is and how it has made so much possible! (THANK YOU Everett!!!)

There's so much to share from what we have experienced in the past week, and again, I hope to do so in some future posts, but here are some teasers from Route 66...

Oh; also, can't forget to mention that we got to hang out with Fresno James (and his wonderful dog Ringo) in Kingman, AZ!
More on that later too!

If you are anywhere close enough to Huntington Beach/Sunset Beach this evening from 5pm until 7pm, we hope we can meet you. Spread the word.
I'm sorry we can't stay for other VW events this weekend in the area; we will be up and away early Saturday morning.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Oh! The suspense is killing us! You MUST be home by now, safe and sound! Updates?

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Oh! The suspense is killing us! You MUST be home by now, safe and sound! Updates?

Bill Bowman

Sorry everyone! Once we got back, it was straight back to work (and everything that work 'kept' for both of us respectively while we were gone...).

YES; MADE IT! Back home Sunday evening, April 30th, 2023.

HOME! 7,416 miles, 31 days, out to Charleston, SC and back to Richmond, CA.
Wonderful seeing everyone that we did. For those who joined us virtually too; thanks!

There's still so much to tell, but I need perhaps part of the weekend to get to it all...

In short, however, we had a great time...

We got to suprise my mom in Huntington Beach, CA.
She use to drive The Toaster along with my dad, carting my brother and sister and I to everything from backpacking and camping trips, to swim lessons, soccer practice, etc.

Although we weren't planning on going, we even made it (briefly) to another VW event, the "Taproom Takeover" -- Crafted Brewery at the Port of Los Angeles.

I have a lot of pictures from that show too.

More soon; I promise, but I also need to get back to work, so watch for some upcoming posts with more pictures, facts, figures, etc!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Phoenix Bugorama 2023. Sunday April 2nd, 2023

As Kathy and I started our trip across the country and back in April, we naturally had to adjust our stops and route a few times.

Thanks to Ron J. (of Vegas), we were reminded that there was a Bugorama going on just south of Phoenix in Chandler, Arizona.

Our planned route wasn't originally going to go there on the right day, but as it had changed, it made perfect sense to go.

We're so glad we had, since we'd never been to the Phoenix Bugorama, and just as we have heard (often) about the Sacramento one, this is/was to be the LAST ONE.

It seems that the speedway there has been sold to developers.
My hope is that Phoenix will find another location to hold Bugorama, but I imagine that may or may not include drag racing.

The turnout was fantastic, all of the folks very friendly, and remarkable VWs to be seen...

The parts swap area of the Bugorama I felt was much smaller than the ones that happen in Sacramento, but I was able to pick up a used 12-volt starter for $25 which I needed along the way for our trip.

I had started uploading pictures onto TheSamba for folks to enjoy, and had about another 100+ to upload (queued up), but my computer was inadvertently shut down before I had the chance.
I'm surprised to see that I seem to be the ONLY person who has uploaded photos (to TheSamba) from this meet.

To see all of the photos I have uploaded (and hopefully other folk's too) click here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...ts=summary

We had a great time at the meet and got to meet a few folks that we have spoken to (electronically) in the past, some folks who knew about our the trip we were on, and even someone who had used my bus re-wire write-up as a guide for their own attempt at it.

I really hope that this Bugorama will continue, and if it does, I'd enjoy driving out to it again.

I hope to continue to post some other stories/reflections about our cross-country trip in the weeks to come.
While we were traveling the non-profit I work for opened a new office, and, well, it seems that a lot of work was kept for my return so I've been more than busy.

HOWEVER, one of our favorite camping VW meets is happening Friday May 19th through Sunday May 21st (2023):
BUS CITY

This is the yearly VW bus only (any year; even Eurovans) camping event which happens alongside the Russian River at the Schoolhouse Canyon Campground
in Guerneville, CA.
http://www.schoolhousecanyon.com/

It is a private (ie: more expensive) campground that opens one week early JUST for this event. It's in a beautiful redwood grove, the river is just across the highway from the campground, and anywhere from 50 to 80 buses typically make it.
As there are not enough campsites for that many buses, people share (and split the cost) for their campsites, so you have mini-huddles of buses.
Typically each variety is well represented: about a third split buses, 1/3 Bay and 1/3 Vanagons, along with a Eurovan or two mixed in as well.

It is family friendly and plenty of folks share food and camaraderie as they 'show off' how they like to camp with their buses.

There's flush toilets and coin-operated hot shower stalls too, in case you don't like to rough it.

Oh, also Korbel sparkling wine is walking distance from the campground, so you can make a reservation (as far in advance as you are able) for a tour/tasting or just go to their store there and buy a bottle or two.

So; now that you know what to expect, if you enjoy camping with your bus, try to make it out. First come first served starting mid-day Friday May 19th, if you arrive late then you can/would be placed in a campsite with folks willing to share and split the cost.

If you make it out, be sure to drop by where we end up and say hello.
Kathy and I are the couple that offers fondue on the Saturday night to anyone who'd enjoy trying/having some.

amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

My wife and I stayed at the Wigwam Hotel a number of years ago. Was a nice quick overnight stay to rest the bones from a long day of driving.

We enjoy the whole Route 66 experience as well in some of those long driving days.

TJ

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rollinwithwillie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Such great photos of the Big Bash 2022!! Do you know of people going June 25 2023? New to this page and just came across your thread. The photos at Ft Baker are really great! Thanks, Emily
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

rollinwithwillie wrote:
Such great photos of the Big Bash 2022!! Do you know of people going June 25 2023? New to this page and just came across your thread. The photos at Ft Baker are really great! Thanks, Emily

Emily, so sorry that it took me so long to get back to you about this.
Yes; there's lots of folks that should make it to Bug Bash... it is a great event amongst the trees.
Regretfully Kathy and I won't make it this time; have a prior commitment.
Hope YOU make it and that you have a great time!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Another great VW weekend...

"Camp & Shine"

VW meet/show/camping in the town of Lakeport on Clear Lake, CA.
Show day was Saturday, June 17th, 2023.
This show happens on Father's Day Weekend each year
(except a few missed due to the pandemic).

Perfect sunny weather this past weekend for the event; it was great that it has returned.
This is one of our favorites since the group that puts it on NAG (Norcal Aircooled Group) are really friendly and welcoming to all the participants.

We are fortunate to enjoy the company of many NAG folks at a variety of VW meets and cruises.

It's also a great meet since you can camp with everyone if you'd like on Friday and/or Saturday night...

...and the awards for the show are participant adjudicated; if you entered a car in the show, you get to vote.

Turn out for the meet was a bit smaller than in years past, but then again, it been about three years since this show has had the opportunity to happen.

The only class of car that was missing this time was Type 3... if a single Fastback, Notchback or Squareback would have made it I imagine they'd win first AND second prize!

Kathy and I brought both "The Toaster" as well as "Shamrock Shake" to the meet:

You can blame it on the smaller turn out this year, and/or the kindness of the participants who voted for our VWs, but we actually took home 1st place in our classes; Stock Bus and first for the Karmann Ghia class.
We both feel very appreciative and were very pleasantly surprised.

The raffle again was great too; a lot of fun, useful and interesting prizes.
And naturally there were just amazing VW to see and enjoy...

You should be able to see all of the snapshot photos I took here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...ts=summary

A big thank you to NAG, to everyone who helps put on this wonderful meet, and to everyone who made it out. It was wonderful spending time with everyone.

In other news; there's all kinds of things that I haven't had time to post about over the past month or so (Such as "Bus City" which had happened).
...but not to miss anything in the near future...

Upcoming:

The NorCal Karmann Ghia Enthusiasts group will be having a cruise to a winery to enjoy a picnic on Saturday, June 24th, 2023 meeting at 11am.
You don't have to have a Karmann Ghia to tag along, but they do like to park the Ghias next to each other.

"We will meet at the Castro Valley Farmers Market next to the Bart Station off of Redwood Road at 11am (21013 Redwood Rd, Castro Valley, CA 94546) to get lunch for the picnic, then we will cruise together along small winding roads to get to the winery by Noon.
https://www.twiningvine.com/ "

---------------------------------------------------------
I also want to encourage people to make it to the:

June 25, 2023 - California Bug Bash
Antioch, California
Bug Bash 2023. ALL Volkswagens regardless of year, model or condition are invited to participate in this show and swap event under the trees at the Contra Costa Event Park. This year's special display is the Beetle Convertible. Drivers who bring their Beetle Convertible are admitted free and get special front-row parking. People's Choice Awards voting for the Top 10 vehicles registered. Gates open at 8:00am and all inclusive (display/show/swap) is still only $10 per adult and kids under 12 are admitted free.

Kathy and I can't make it to Bug Bash, but would if we didn't have a prior commitment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 47

Jump to: