Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Matra Tools w/photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
MATRA 2073
This small shift gauge for setting the shift linkage (receiving the shift lever) ???
has a nearly 100 mm or 4" long, slidable hook with an adjusting screw in a plastic block with dowel pins.

I suspect that this tool was more used for VW LT truck or other water-cooled VWs as rabbit etc... never see it in context of aircooled...

[

Given how high the number is I concur with your assessment of its age.
I'll see if I can find a listing

Thank you for sharing

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Hey, I have a few of those VW press tools as seen in the above photo. They have a unique male "collar" on one end that fits into the press crossbar and I assume snaps or locks in somehow to stay attached to the upper horizontal press bar. Here in the USA I have never seen a press with that attachment system. The hydraulic press seen in the photo appears to have the female receiver for the "collar" as there is a tool attached and hanging from it. I have a 20 ton Harbor Freight press, which has some other type of simple receiver. My German press tools will not attach to my HF press until I acquire or have devised some sort of female receiver/adapter or have a German "receiver" fabricated for my press. Has anyone else figured out how to create an adapter that would accept the German press tools? Are they available somewhere or are there plans out there so that a skilled fabricator or machine shop could make an adapter for those of us needing one? Thanks for any photos of what the German press "collar/receiver" looks like, how a tool is attached, plans or info you can add here. Ultimately a brief video of how German press tools are attached and detached would be very helpful! It would be fun to be able to use these cool press tools someday in working on my VWs...
Bill

I am interested interested in finding an adapter to fit German press tools as well. So far my internet searching has not found anything even close.

I do see European press manufacturers advertise "Removable ram end cap for mounting of various piston heads" so it seems to be pretty common over there.

It would be great to find a way to attach these nice press tools to our cheap chinesium presses.

Previous Buses: 59 Westy, 60 Westy, 74 Bus, 82 Westy, 85 Westy, 87 Syncro
Checkout my Syncro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSWhLS7jLY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Amen "dart330"!

I wish I knew someone with a European press that has the correct "collar" or whatever you call it that lots of the Special Service "press tools" fit and lock into. I'd like to understand how it works.

Perhaps one of our European tool friends who owns a proper press for these tools might snap and post a few nice photo that would detail what the collar looks like, maybe showing in successive photos how the male end of a S.S. Tool is inserted/locked into and then unlocked/removed from the female-ended collar on their press. Maybe even a drawing with some measurements so that we might be able to have a friend or welding shop cobble up an adaptor so we can fit the Euro collar onto our cheaper Chinese made 12 or 20 ton presses. It would be nice to finally be able to safely use some of these VW press tools we've collected! I'm getting a little tired of admiringly cuddling my tools and drooling all over them. It would be a blast to be able to actually put them to good use!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Kubel1945 wrote:
This is my setup

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can sort of see the "collar" in use on the press in this stunning photo...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Bill I am surprised you have never seen one in person during your trips to Europe.

Previous Buses: 59 Westy, 60 Westy, 74 Bus, 82 Westy, 85 Westy, 87 Syncro
Checkout my Syncro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSWhLS7jLY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

I did one by myself

I asked MATRA for this adaptor in the past and they sent me a catalog were the price was kind of crazy.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Yeah, as many times as I've been in Europe for VW events, I guess while visiting a shop I have not looked to check out the type of collar that holds the various Matra/Pieseler press pieces to their press. So I figured if I could find someone locally who can weld up an adapter that works with a 20 ton harbor freight press that I have and will then grab onto the Matra tool collar, the I should be able to safely use all my press tools someday if needed.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Fri May 05, 2023 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

2 weeks ago I drove 920 miles round trip under the guise of a family road trip in my bus to buy/get back my Matra engine stand! 😂

Now that the I’ve got my stand back I plan on putting it to use. Most likely I’ll have it blasted and repainted in the original grey.
Does anyone possibly have an OG or extra 307 flywheel lock they’d like to sell? I see there’s a reproduction for $75 Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanM wrote:
Had this box for a while, just sold it.

The box has the following stenciled on it:

VERS. NR. 5180-12-141-1427
WERKZEUGSATZ, VERBRENNUNGSMOTOR-
INSTANDSETZUNG ERH.-STUFE 3
MIT KASTEN
VW- INDUSTRIEMOTOR TYPE 122

The following tools are inside and still covered in cosmoline. All are MATRA unless otherwise noted as Peiseler.

vw1266 - 13mm fuel pump wrench
vw126a - 14mm fuel pump wrench
unmarked mystery tool (see below)
vw171 - cam follower holders (unopened)
vw204b - crankshaft oil seal installing tool
vw109 - oil cooler wrench
vw 328b (peiseler) - 36hp fuel pump preload tool
vw219 clutch centering tool / drift
vw201 - oil pump puller
vw215b - flywheel lock
vw 328d (peiseler) - 40hp fuel pump preload tool
vw112/3 - breaker bar
vw112/2 - flywheel socket guide plate
vw112/1a - 36mm flywheel socket

here's a close-up of the "mystery tool". Anybody know what it is?

DanM, any thoughts on what one of these kits in NOS condition is worth?

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

I have owned the same box full of tools above in my collection too. I'm also curious about the "mystery tool", probably something simple and obvious, but I'll be waiting breathlessly until someone reveals the use for that tool. I'm assuming that like all the other tools in the box that it is for some use on servicing a 25- or 36bhp engine.

Taking a last huge breath right now... holding.... holding.....

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I have owned the same box full of tools above in my collection too. I'm also curious about the "mystery tool", probably something simple and obvious, but I'll be waiting breathlessly until someone reveals the use for that tool. I'm assuming that like all the other tools in the box that it is for some use on servicing a 25- or 36bhp engine.

Taking a last huge breath right now... holding.... holding.....

Bill

Bill, I sent you a private message.

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Well, I got my NOS MATRA West German military VW engine tool kit. This one is complete all the way down to having the original padlock and skeleton keys for it. It even still has some kind of old wax paper wrapping the box handles and Cosmoline still on the tools.

As much as I dig this kit, I found something even better and cooler the very next weekend. A 100% original, unrestored, 1976 Lambretta Jet 200 scooter with only 2500 miles on it. As a Lambretta fan I bought it immediately and now I can't really justify keeping the tool kit so it's going to be up for grabs.

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Matra alignment tool for measuring toe in

One end is spring loaded, with a pointer and scale. I have a wooden block in place of the ruled scale, that I mark with pencil when working. The arms are offset from the bar, so you can measure behind the front wheels, or in front of the rear wheels where the torsion tube would be in the way

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

I have the same Matra tow in/toe out adjusting tool and it looks like you're missing some chains on each end. It's a great tool. It's kind of fun to use and pretty damn hard to find! Congratulations!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Jacco Verveer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Found this with folding door

Imagine how many fingers got pinched

Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

That's really cool looking. What is it??

Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

That's pretty cool.

You just need to fill it with matra tools now!

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Hello Again,

Bit of a recap from pages 3 & 4 I've finally had time (and reason) to make progress on my Matra engine stand.

*PREVIOUSLY*

I've always wanted a 'trolley' base for the stand, as I wouldn't be able to commit to bolting it down.

Tried my best to keep the details clear despite fresh paint

I'm thinking I need to round the edges and cap them with steel to give a more 60's vibe to the trolley.

When the weather warms up- I'll do the detailing on the letters, and replicate the 308 stencil work on the stand and "cold blue" the hardware as per original spec.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
TK6A5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Hello Fellow Matra lovers. I am looking for the Matra VW 400 shop press. I have actually been looking for one of these for the last 15 years. Missed out on 4 of them over that period through a combination of being to late or logistics not working out. Would very much like to finally "scratch the itch" Does anybody out there know of one?
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Good evening,

A long awaited addition to my shed, something I haven't chased but have been eyeing off, as I have a crankshaft to assemble this coming week.

As found condition

I toyed with the idea of cleaning up the original paint, but unfortunately there simply wasn't enough left to save. What remained was so very oil soaked it was coming away from the steel anyway.

Sound a round in the sandblasting cabinet and it all fell off anyway

A primer coat and some hard enamel in the appropriate color yielded this

But it's pretty naked so out came the brushes

The plan is to have it bolted down tomorrow.
Eventually I'll gun blue the handle and glad nut section to finish the restoration off.

A big thank you to Henry, for finding this lovely specimen and convincing me to take the plunge as always.
Cheers

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: